Estradiol pills ~ anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Estradiol pills ~ anyone else? Estradiol pills ~ anyone else?

Unread 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Estradiol pills ~ anyone else?

OK Girls
Need some feedback on the estradiol pills. Did anyone start them yet? I havent because I'm too scared and the hot flashes hv been fairly manageable. But I'm scared I'm going to break-out in a full growth beard or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2008, 09:49 AM

justmoe

It's great to have you join us!

Have you found our <link> Post-Op Page yet? If not, it's well worth checking out as it's absolutely packed with information for your recovery.

I'm sure it won't be too long before some ladies come along to share but, in the meantime, it may also help you to try a Google Search of HysterSisters (towards the top right of this page) which will give links to all previous postings on Estradiol.

Sending all good wishes for a smooth recovery!

Unread 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM

Hi justmoe!

Some women start taking their hormone therapy immediately after surgery and some prefer to wait until their symptoms are more bothersome. Early in recovery your body is using up the hormones your ovaries produced which can explain why your symptoms are tolerable.

When to start your hormone therapy is up to you, with the input of your doctor, too. You can weigh the pros and cons of using hormones and decide what is best for you. I started my hormones the day after surgery over six years ago and at the age of 52 I continue to use them. It's a quality of life decision for me and my doctor is fully supportive. I always have an annual well woman exam which includes a mammogram, breast exam, pelvic exam with Pap test and any other testing my doctor(s) feel is important.

Estradiol is a bio-identical estrogen which means that it's made to be a duplicate of the estradiol made by your ovaries. It's my personal choice as well, though I use it in a patch form as I really don't like to take pills.

I hope your recovery is going well!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Estradiol

Hi, Im 6 weeks post op and been on the Estradoil for 5 weeks now. They have helped tremendosly with the hot flashes and the moods, I was extreemly depressed, dont think I could live with out the estridol now!! I have not suffered any side effects from them. Hope this helps
Unread 04-22-2008, 01:01 PM

Hi,
I too was worried because my symptoms are quite manageble and not bad so I didn't want to take something if I didn't need it, however at my 3 month check up the doctor informed me that because i am not a big milk drinker then he would highly recommend that I take Prempro for bone loss issues (my faternal grandmother had osteomalasia). I was scared but started it and to be honest now even the mild symptoms I had are gone and I actually feel darn good! I don't wake up in the middle of the night anymore and no hot flashes or fushes anymore, my spirits feel good too. I have not had any side effects from the medication and I do really feel a difference. You can always try it and see if you like it or it works or not and then decide Good luck!
Unread 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM

my DR put me on the patch before I even left the OR.....it has only been 6 days since the surgey, but everything seems to be going ok so far. I am pretty emotional, but i don't know if its the patch or the surgery. Good luck to you.
Unread 04-22-2008, 01:45 PM

I started on Estradiol 2mg pills the day after surgery and haven't had any side bad effects so far - and no hot flashes either!! I spoke with my doc at great length before the surgery about all the choices and this seemed to be the best one for me - being bio-identical. Take some time to research it and make an educated decision so you feel good about your choice! Good luck!
Unread 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM

I started on the Estradiol .05 mg patch about three weeks post op. I am 54 and kept my ovaries, but mainly for the testosterone production. I had some minor hot flashes, but the decision to try the patch was related more to the moodiness. I've been on it for about 3 weeks now and my husband says he hasn't seen me this calm since I was on birth control pills. So I guess it's working, lol.
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:57 PM

hi. i was put on the estradiol pills because i passed out a few times from the hot flashes, etc. after two weeks, however, i began to have serious pains in my gallbladder area. when i researched if there was any connection between estrogen pills and gallbladder disease, i discovered a strong link. there is a high incidence in my family of gallbladder problems (i'm the only one left with hers) so i took myself off immediately. a week later (and three months now) no pain.
Unread 04-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Dear Blonde Raider
Thx so much for the rsvp to my question. It really helped a lot. Godd Luck 2 u 2. Justmoe

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register