anyone get blood before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone get blood before surgery? anyone get blood before surgery?

Unread 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM
anyone get blood before surgery?

I may have to get blood before surgery? Anyone else have to do this for anemia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 01:31 PM

Yes, That's actually what started all this for me. I normally had heavy bleeding & cramping, but uterus went nuts in Dec. I bled for 2 months, my hbg was 5.2 (very, very low) was admitted to hospital to recieve 2 units of blood, now sched for hyst tomorrow, thank God!!
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM

did you have any complications from the blood you got? when did you get the blood? how much did your hemoglobin go up?
Good luck on your surgery..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM

Hi, I have rhuematoid arthritis too so I did get a temp after recieving blood, but probably because of RA, not blood. Was put on iron pills too & Dr said my numbers were great (pre op test) she didn't tell what they were though.

In Feb. I was admitted for the transfusion, Dr did blood work then called me at home said to go to ER to get admitted (10 at nite)

Thanks for the luck, if you need the blood go for it, I felt much better after getting it, more energy, went from pale to pink- all good!
Unread 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM

My surgery is Wednesday, but I have to go in on Tuesday to get blood. This is one reason why I have to have the hyster because of the anemia.
Unread 04-24-2008, 06:25 PM

I had to have a hyster because of the anemia also. My hemo was 6-7 so I was borderline on the blood thing. However after surgery it dropped a little more. Now however I am getting more blood and can actually tell.
Unread 04-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Hello Sisters,

Yes I had to get blood. Boy, did I have to get blood. My hemo was 4.8, which is beyond low. My iron had gotten down to 21, which is too low. I was back and forth to the hospital for a whole month (March). I had to have a total of 3 blood tranfusions and 7 iron transfusions by IV. My body felt alot better after I got the blood. They made sure my hemo was up to 11.5 before surgery.

I always had anemia, but my surgery was because of my multiple fibroids. I don't get cold anymore.
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:32 PM

I had anemia & was transfused with 4 units of blood 5 months before surgery, started on iron from then until surgery, was on Lupron for 2 months, and had a LSH in March. All the prep to raise the iron levels helped as I did not need more blood at surgery.

My hemoglobin went from a 6 to a 10 with the blood. At one point it made it to 11, but since I was still bleeding, it went back down to the 10 which is where it stayed.

I am now six weeks post-op and iron levels still working to get back
to "normal".

Good luck on your surgery; hope the transfusions help you as well.
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:51 PM

Also, by getting the blood and iron transfusions, my normal color came back. I was so so pale. After I got my first 2 tranfusions and went back to work after the weekend, folks asked if I had went somewhere for the weekend because I had a tan. I was laughing because it wasn't a tan, it was my normal color

They just hadn't seen my normal color in a while.
Unread 04-25-2008, 04:54 AM

I don't want to jump on another's topic, but I had to laugh. My hemoglobin is now at a 7.4 and I am so pale that I well, I look sick. I can't wait to look like a normal being instead of an undead being.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register