cancer diagnosis AFTER surgery..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

cancer diagnosis AFTER surgery..... cancer diagnosis AFTER surgery.....

Unread 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
cancer diagnosis AFTER surgery.....

How effective are US and blood test in screening for cancer? I feel pretty confident that cancer is not an issue with me, at least my doctor does but I lost a sister at age 32 to cancer so of course the thought is in the back of my mind.

If all of my pre op test have not detected cancer am I in the clear or is it typical to find it during surgery when it wasn't suspected before hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon fly
How effective are US and blood test in screening for cancer? I feel pretty confident that cancer is not an issue with me, at least my doctor does but I lost a sister at age 32 to cancer so of course the thought is in the back of my mind.

If all of my pre op test have not detected cancer am I in the clear or is it typical to find it during surgery when it wasn't suspected before hand.
I think it would depend on your symptoms. What blood test are you referring to the CA-125? Also, did you have and endometrial biopsy before? You might find more answers from posting in the cancer forum, or reading some of their stories. Also, what type of cancer did your sister have?
Unread 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM

My situation was extremely rare and unusual; I can't imagine it would happen to many people. But I thought I'd share it.

I had a hysterectomy due to a uterus full of fibroids. Before surgery, I had several ultrasounds and two MRI's, one which was read by the head of radiology at one of the best hospitals in the country. The consensus was lots of fibroids, but nothing unusual.

I had a very routine hysterectomy. Doctor said everything went well. I felt great and had very little pain. Fast forward to my two week post-op appointment--the pathology report showed two small cancer cells in two of the smallest fibroids. Everything else, including tubes and ovaries, were clean. The doctor referred me to a gyn/onc. Of course, I was freaking out. He reassured me that it was caught early. But to be on the safe side, I have to see him every three months and go for a CT scan twice a year for the next five years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachloversis
I think it would depend on your symptoms. What blood test are you referring to the CA-125? Also, did you have and endometrial biopsy before? You might find more answers from posting in the cancer forum, or reading some of their stories. Also, what type of cancer did your sister have?
My sister had Melanoma. She was cancer free for 3 years after her original treatment but the cancer returned and she passed away 6 months later. I have only had the blood test and the US done. There have been no other test performed but I haven't been to my pre op appointment yet.

My symptoms are heavy bleeding with periods. Very large blood clots & pelvic pain. My uterus is very enlarged but the dr says he couldn't see any fibroids on the us. I have a large cyst on my left ovary and he is going to be removing it. Hopefully I will get to keep the right one.

Thanks for your responses. I am sure all is well. I will be glad when all of this is over with though. Those old fears just keep creeping on me.

Thanks again ladies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register