Rectal Bleeding post surgery...please help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectal Bleeding post surgery...please help Rectal Bleeding post surgery...please help

Unread 04-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Rectal Bleeding post surgery...please help

Please help me, anyone...I had an abdominal hysterectomy (removal of uterus, cervix and right ovary) on 4/14, Prior to this surgery, I have had hemorrhoids...not bad, but I got them after my second pregnancy 5 years ago and they only bother me when I am constipated, which I was, with the fibroids......as I have had bowel movements for the past several days, at the end of each movement I have had bleeding (bright red blood) and small blood clots. I just went to the bathroom to pee, only, and I wiped down the front (no discharge)...when I went to wipe the back I had blood on the tissue (bright red blood) this is definitely from my rectum. I researched some and saw things about rectal prolapse and stuff....please tell me that this is just a side effect of the surgery or something/// Did anyone else have this....I told my DR about the rectal bleeding/clots after bowel movments...he prescribed me some suppositories...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Please call your Dr or Surgeon ASAP and get checked, he/she will want to hear about this development and advise you. Those Bowel Movements the first weeks and month after surgery are definately something else!!! Bleeding should always be reported I think.

Kindest and warmest regards and good healing,
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:20 PM

Hi (((Rachel)))
I'm sorry you're suffering with the hemerrhoids. Rectal prolapse is the collapsing of the rectal wall into the vagina and usually there is constipation as one of the main symptoms. Usually drs will catch those before you have a hyst. I hope that is the case for you. I would just be surprised if that's the problem, but only your dr can tell you for sure. I had a rectocele and bleeding wasn't a part the symptoms for me.

I wonder if you've been using the suppositories and are still finding this getting worse? I agree, it's probably a good idea to call your dr and let him/her know what's happening. Are you using stool softeners and taking precautions so you won't need to strain with your BM's?

I hope you get to feeling better soon and this doesn't turn into anything more. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 03:40 PM

I had some pretty severe pain and bleeding from the rectum even before my hysterectomy 2-1/2 years ago, but it got worse after. My doctor recommended me for a colonoscopy just to make sure there wasn't something else going on.

I did have the hemerrhoids, which I already knew I had, but he also found a polyp. Nothing serious, biopsied and non cancerous, and I felt SO much better knowing it wasn't some much worse.

Please stay on top of this and have it checked out, even if he wants to do a colonoscopy. Really and truly, it wasn't that bad at all, and the piece of mind you get afterward is worth it.
Unread 04-26-2008, 02:23 AM

Hi SouthernSpice, I had a TAH/BSO on 17th. In the past I have suffered from haem's also with the symptoms you describe (bright red bleeding although I never had clots)the bleeding sometimes occurred without a BM. I was fine until my bowels "woke up" last Tuesday.YIKES I must have gone to the loo 20 times in that one day and since have been going 6 times or so a day,I am in the UK and didn't have any bowel prep. so I guess I had a weeks worth of backlog!! I have ended up with haem's again (although no bleeding just a bruised feeling inside)I too was worried about prolapse so called my nurse and she said don't worry just use suppositories and cream as usual.I know the surgeon said I had a lot of adhesions and my 10lb ovarian cyst (nice!)was stuck to my bowel,well my rear end is definately less than comfortable.I think the key thing is keep your BM's soft and no straining, the hospital told us to place both feet on a stool about 6" high when sitting on the loo and blow your nose when trying to go instead of pushing,it actually works! I would definately check with the Dr. to put your mind at rest. We'll all feel better soon xxx
Unread 04-26-2008, 04:05 AM

I haven't had any rectal bleeding after my surgery but shortly before my surgery I had a virus and first I had diarrea and then constipation, then when I went to the bathroom that evening It was like I peed alot of really bright red blood, But it came from my rectom, so off to the ER I went, I had a bad hemeroid and a tear in my rectal wall. I was told that when the blood is that red it more than likely bleeding from hemroids and/or the tear in rectal wall. But not always.

When having bleeding from this area it is best to have it checked out to make sure everything is alright and also as said to put your mind at rest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register