Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH

Unread 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH

Hi.. I had a TVHand have been told same recovery time as TAH(min 6 weeks) .No driving for 3 weeks.. no lifting over 5lbs for 6 weeks. nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks,, light housework, no pushing/pyulling/bending over etc for 6 wweeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM

G'day everyone

I am an aussie girl and 52yrs old LAVH Endo, Adhesions etc. Gyno advised not to do anything until week 6, then full check up he then advised no sex until week 8 as stitches were still in the vaginal cuff.

I started feeling better around week 5 although still tired easily and some bellie achine if I did too much.

I didn't even attemp normal housework until week 6.

It is 8 weeks now and I have been gardening all morning and feel great, although still need to make sure I don't over do it.

It will take your body at least 3-6 months to heal properly so don't rush it and just rest and take it easy, if it hurts don't do it and definately no sex until week 6 as you can cause an infection if the vaginal cuff is not healed properly.

good luck
Kezza
Unread 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreene
Hey there. There are no dumb questions here Here's how I found out I pulled a stitch in the vaginal cuff....
On Monday, after bright red bleeding (with clots and lots of increased pain) all weekend, I finally called the nurse. She told me to come in that afternoon, and when my dr. did a pelvic (oh boy oh boy) internal exam, thats how I know I ripped a stitch. She said the last stitch in the cuff was popped and she could clearly see where all the bleeding was coming from. She just cauterized it right then with Silver Nitrate in the office.
Otherwise, I don't know how you would tell if you pulled a stitch. Because some amount of bleeding and pain is completely normal, right? I had just done very light housekeeping that Saturday morning - nothing big at all. I may have lifted a 3/4 full gallon of milk.
Since the cauterization, I've not bled one bit.
Thank you for your response. At least now we would all know sort of what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyster007
TVH here and told 6 weeks too. I was only told not bending over and no lifting over 10lbs. Sex is a no no until the 6 wk mark and only AFTER the Dr. ok's it.
Ditto what she said, also no baths or swimming/jacuzzi until after my 6 week follow up appointment. Oh, & my surgery took about 2 hours. But, I had some repair work done.
Unread 04-26-2008, 12:47 PM

Hyster007... I felt an unusual pain in my lower left abdomen, almost like a burning stabbing pain and then I started bleeding... bright red blood. I was going thru a pad every couple hours and passing blood clots about the size of my pinky nail. Then the next day.... still bleeding, I passed three blood clots the size of my thumb. I knew something was wrong then. Called the DR and he did then internal exam (GOD IT HURT) and he used some sort of liquid stitch. I was very sore for a couple days after, but haven't seen any bright red blood since. I think I did mine either reaching for the sugar bowl over the range hood or getting out of bed improperly. Not sure which. Needless to say, I learned my lesson the hard way.
Unread 04-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slims1969
Hyster007... I felt an unusual pain in my lower left abdomen, almost like a burning stabbing pain and then I started bleeding... bright red blood. I was going thru a pad every couple hours and passing blood clots about the size of my pinky nail. Then the next day.... still bleeding, I passed three blood clots the size of my thumb. I knew something was wrong then. Called the DR and he did then internal exam (GOD IT HURT) and he used some sort of liquid stitch. I was very sore for a couple days after, but haven't seen any bright red blood since. I think I did mine either reaching for the sugar bowl over the range hood or getting out of bed improperly. Not sure which. Needless to say, I learned my lesson the hard way.

OUCH! Thank you for sharing that. I am glad you haven't had additonal bleeding. I hope you continue to heal FAST and well!
Unread 04-27-2008, 05:16 PM

Thank you all for your answers! Dh & I are looking forward to 3wks so its a bummer to here most say 6wks. I had my post op visit Friday & my doc said I had to get off my meds in order to drive and to take it easy and rest till I feel better. He said most feel better by 3wks (assuming nothing goes wrong) and usually pretty close to normal by week 4.

Once I got off my meds & switched to Tylenol I felt sooo much better! I didn't realize how much the meds were wearing me down. I was walking so slow and would get head rushes after doing any kind of activity. Yesterday I was able to do 20 laps around the house at normal walking speed. I was so excited! Before that the most I did was 12 laps around the front yard. What a difference! No more head rushes and I can do a little more before I need a nap =P

Dh & figured that when the doc said 20 mins he was actually referring to the actual time it take to cut & remove everything, not including all the prep and going to sleep & waking up part.

I will call my doc 2mrw & ask what my restrictions are for now until my nxt follow up. I will be taking as easy as I can & have no intentions of pushing myself too much! Thank you all again so much. I really appreciate all the input
Unread 04-27-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Star*
Thank you all for your answers! Dh & I are looking forward to 3wks so its a bummer to here most say 6wks. I had my post op visit Friday & my doc said I had to get off my meds in order to drive and to take it easy and rest till I feel better. He said most feel better by 3wks (assuming nothing goes wrong) and usually pretty close to normal by week 4.

Once I got off my meds & switched to Tylenol I felt sooo much better! I didn't realize how much the meds were wearing me down. I was walking so slow and would get head rushes after doing any kind of activity. Yesterday I was able to do 20 laps around the house at normal walking speed. I was so excited! Before that the most I did was 12 laps around the front yard. What a difference! No more head rushes and I can do a little more before I need a nap =P

Dh & figured that when the doc said 20 mins he was actually referring to the actual time it take to cut & remove everything, not including all the prep and going to sleep & waking up part.

I will call my doc 2mrw & ask what my restrictions are for now until my nxt follow up. I will be taking as easy as I can & have no intentions of pushing myself too much! Thank you all again so much. I really appreciate all the input

Glad to hear you are feeling better and getting around. Hang in there. 3 weeks will come before you know it!
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:52 AM

hi i had vgh on 28th of april under spinal anesthetic. Op took one hour i was out of bed next day drip catheter and vaginal pack out ,mobilizing and eating and drinking i came home on the 1st i'd have come home sooner if they had let me. I have not had single painkiller no bleeding no pain i am amazed. i've been for a walk today and i feel great, i am not allowed to lift or do housework for 6 weeks i'am gutted about that lol!!
but you have to remember everyone is different, i think getting your mind set into a positive frame is the best way to recover if you tell yourself you will be ok and believe in yourself you will do fine. Just remember to not think you are super human rest when you need to and most important pamper the princess I WISH YOU A SPEEDY RECOVERY
Unread 05-04-2008, 04:16 PM

I had my LAVH on 4/15. At my 2 week 2 day post op appt. my doctor gave me the all clear on anything I want to do except sex. He said 6 weeks, nothing until I see him again and he gives me the all clear for that. I asked him specifically if I could go back to the gym and do ANYTHING and he said yes. Surprised me but I feel fine. I went to the gym the same day and did some light machine work and stretching. I'm spotting very lightly due to the stitches dissolving. Dr. said that was normal, to be expected and even an odor was normal. The vaginal cuff is not completely healed that's why he wants me to wait on sex...due to risk of infection due to introduction of bacteria into the vagina...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register