Questions about CT scan prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about CT scan prep Questions about CT scan prep

Unread 04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Questions about CT scan prep

Hi Everyone

Had my TAh on 02/04/08 - still have weird constant pain below my belly button (not near the surgery site at all...) and so they now want a CT scan. I have to drink something 3 hr and 2 hrs before the procedure (the pharmacist will give it to me to take home today).

I know it is hard to drinnk..but that is all I know - can others please share their stories so that i know what to expect etc?

And if you have any hints...

and - what if it the drink is just too much to fit into me (I hear it is HUGE)..or is it really ok?

Please let me know what you found to be true and how you dealt with it and what you wished you had known before doing the prep (so that I know it now before I do the prep!!)

Thanks
Jax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 07:24 AM

I had to have a CAT Scan a few months after my tah/bso. The drink I had was cherry flavored barium. It wasn't great but I managed to get it all down ( I'm not a large person ). I was even given another glass after I got to the hospital for the testing. It made me feel very full, but was bearable. I would rinse my mouth with clear water afterwards to get rid of the chalky taste.

The best advice I had was to drink lots and lots of water afterwards to help get it all back out. It worked because I had no problems there

Best wishes.

S
Unread 04-25-2008, 07:37 AM

When I had my CAT Scan I had berry smoothie flavored barium. It wasn't horrid, but it wasn't great either. It tasted 10x better than the stuff I had to drink for the bowel prep the night before surgery.
It was recommended to me to make sure it was cold and to drink it through a straw, that way your whole mouth didn't fill with the taste.
I hope the scan is ok
Mary
TAH/BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 08:30 PM

I picked up twobiottles of the berry Smoothie today...they are in the fridge waiting for Monday. I will use the starw as you suggested.

Thanks everyone

jax
Unread 04-26-2008, 04:48 AM

Jax:
Does your pain actually ache, or do you just know its there if you touch it.?
I have a pain off to the left of my vert. incision that just has never gone away... It doesn't stop me from doing anything, just if i touch it or rub against it carrying something do I know it is there... Everything else is fine.
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:49 AM

I was still having problems after my surgery so I had a TON of tests done (complete blood work, x-rays, ultrasounds, colonoscopy and a CAT scan). The bowel prep for the hysterectomy wasn't bad. Two small bottles of stuff that tasted like ginger and salt. For the colonoscopy I had to drink a 1/2 gallon of (the only way I can discribe it) "cold human sweat"! I really struggled with this one! The strawberry berium drink was the easiest to handle. It wasn't "good" but it went down eaiser than all of the other stuff (I too recommend the straw). Best of Luck!
Unread 04-26-2008, 10:22 AM

Menoherone-
How did all of your tests turn out? Are you doing ok now? I have a CT Scan on Monday. How bad was the colonoscopy? If we don't find anything in the CT scan I think that is were we are going next.
Thanks for any info.
jb
Unread 04-26-2008, 11:11 AM

I also had mutiple CT scans due to all my post op complications. It sounds like you got alot of good advice about drinking the barium. The one thing I would add is that the barium gave me diareah so you may want to plan on going home afterward and taking it easy. When you arrive they do have you drink another glass of barium just prior to the test. Then they insert the IV for the iodine. Once that is done the test goes relatively quickly. The iodine feels very warm going in (it doesn't hurt though) and some women say as it goes through the genital area that it feels like they peed their pants - but you won't so don't worry.

If something shows wrong my expereince is that they call you right away. My Dr called me within the hour (each time) even though the tech told me it would be a few days.

Good luck and let us know how your doing!!

Starbgirl
Unread 04-26-2008, 11:42 AM

jb,
It looks like I may have to have more surgery. I wasn't getting any better after my hyster ( I had severe and constant pelvic pain since Oct.) After all of the testing, the colonoscopy (which was a very, very easy test. I slept like a baby through the whole thing. The only thing was it made me very tired the whole day. I couldn't keep my eyes open) showed that I have a case of advanced divlerticulitis. They "think" adhesions from my 3 previous c-sections have cut off part of my colon causing the infection. I'm not going to lie, I cry a lot and feel sorry for myself. My life has come to a stand still. I move like an old lady (I'm 45) and if I'm not on strong meds I can't function. My new GP told me I don't need the pain meds. I guess I'm just a baby because IT REALLY HURTS! Thank God I have a really, really good friend that's a MD. He got me meds and keeps trying to convience me that I'm not being a baby. I meet with the surgeon on this coming Wednesday. I REALLY don't want to go through another major surgery.
Sorry for unloading. I just think us "sisters "can understand how we each feel more than the the outside world. What about you? What are you going through?
Unread 04-26-2008, 12:32 PM
menoherone

Did you have any other symptoms besides chronic pelvic pain? I also have had pelvic pain since my surgery. I comes and goes but sometimes when it is here it lasts for weeks at a time. I have another CT scan on Monday. This will be my 3rd. The doc wants to do a colonoscopy but I keep chickening out. I hope it is okay...I want to say a prayer for you right now...
Our father in heaven please hear my prayer for my sister Menoherone. God I know you hear the cry of her heart. Please comfort her and give her peace especially during the times when she crys alone. Lord we know the path we are on is hard but we can make it if you stay with us. God please give her the strength to endure this next surgery. Guide the hands of the surgeon. Lord I pray that she will be healthy and happy. Lord-also bless her friends and family as they help her through this process.
Menoherone - please do not hesitate to email me if you need support. jb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register