Done With Chemo And Rad!!!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Done With Chemo And Rad!!!!!! Done With Chemo And Rad!!!!!!

Unread 04-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Done With Chemo And Rad!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post an update that I finished my last radiation treatment today. Woohoo! I even got a "certificate of completion" from the rad onc nurses!

It feels very weird to be done. Cancer has seemed like my full-time job for the past three and a half months, and I'm so excited to get back to life. Of course, everything is a mess, my house, my garden, the hundreds of work emails, a stack of bills waiting to be paid... I'm trying to take it easy on myself and realize that it's going to be at least a couple of weeks before I feel normal anywhere near normal again. My mind wanted to mop the kitchen floor today (my DH didn't seem to realize that you need water to clean things) but my body had to go lie down after a few swipes... At least I'm a teacher, so I don't need to actually be physically present again at my job until September.

How long did you other graduates feel it took to get back into things? I still have a bunch of side effects to deal with: losing around 15 pounds, some hearing loss from the cisplatin, painful bladder spasms a couple of times a day, and the kicker of blood clots in both my arms from PICC lines that were inserted to give me extra IV fluids. I'm hoping those will all pass.

The best way I found today to explain how I was feeling was that it was like I had been abducted by aliens sometime in January and taken up to their spaceship where they did weird experiments on me, and now I've been set down on earth, but am feeling a bit confused still... The person I said this to is probably wondering now if insanity is a side effect of radiation as well

Katherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 06:17 PM

dear katherine...congratulations...i'm so happy you got thru all those treatments! take some time to get grounded again , rest and slowly get back to the things you love to do. remember, your immune system may still be compromised for awhile longer, so try not to be around anyone you know to be ill with something contagious and continue to watch what you eat if you've been following that regime.

you are a true warrior enduring those nasty side effects. now you can go out and enjoy your life. hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. best wishes to you.
colleen.
Unread 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM

BRAVO!!! I am sooo happy for you WOP!! Take it easy on yourself as you have been through alot. Give yourself time to heal....emotionally and physically. Your a trooper!! I am glad that you are in the NEXT phase....RECOVERY!! I am soooo proud of you and your endurance through your journey!! Great job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2008, 02:58 AM

What fabulous news. I pray that your side effects will go away quickly. Welcome back to planet Earth!
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:56 AM

Congrats! I love your analogy about the aliens - we have all felt that way I think, and you described it wonderfully!

Take it easy - enjoy the healing - don't push yourself too hard!

Yippeee!! Your treatment is DONE!
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:11 AM

Congratulations on finishing up radiation! WOO HOOOOO!
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Dear Katherine,
I'm so glad you're finished with chemo and rads. I was diagnosed with vaginal cancer in March of 07 and finished my treatment, which consisted of 20 external radiations, weekly cisplatin, and internal radiation in June.
I, too, am a teacher, so for my entire summer I was consumed with treatment and recovering physically and emotionally from cancer.

I so understand your feeling of being abducted by aliens and then suddenly returned to Earth! I'm in the throes of end of year exams for my class of 5th graders, and have gaps in my recollection of what happened last year at this time!! (Last year's field trip? Oh yeah, I wasn't there!!)

I'm still cleaning out my files and cabinets at my school where I just "stuffed" things away to be dealt with later. My principal told me not to worry about putting things away properly...just lock the door and come back to it when you feel like it. Well, all last summer I never felt like it, so here I am HAPPILY dealing with it now! Time is proving to be a friend to me, and a great healer, as it will be to you, too!! The farther away from treatment you are, the easier it is to deal with and put this all into a place in your mind it SHOULD go ...THE PAST!!!

Take your time getting back....ENJOY your summer and don't worry, everything that you don't do right now will patiently wait for you to get to when you feel like it!!
Unread 04-26-2008, 04:18 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!

I remember thinking how strange it felt to be done. Your concentration on fighting the beast takes up so much of your time and energy, then poof! it's over and you don't quite know what to do with yourself.
Unread 04-26-2008, 06:04 PM

I noticed you said you had some hearing loss from the cisplatin. I have noticed that my hearing isn't what it was and I was wondering if it was in my head or from the cisplatin.

Anyway, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-26-2008, 08:45 PM

Big congrats on completing your treatments just in time to enjoy the summer!!

monami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register