ice or heat on incisions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ice or heat on incisions? ice or heat on incisions?

Unread 04-25-2008, 08:27 PM
ice or heat on incisions?

just got home from LSH surgery yesterday, and was wondering if ice or heat helps sooth the stomach at all.
the surgery went very well and have no problems except some gas. i have 3 incisions on the top of my belly button since my uterus was 22 weeks big. 2 one inch insisions on each side and a little dot in the middle. i just feel i should be putting something on my belly.

Ouch! especially now since my golden retriever just jumped on my bed and me. so everyone please watch your dogs.ha ha

just a footnote i got this surgery from the dmc website and was very happy, so it is important to have a very good surgeon, since 2 doctors said they could not perform the lsh surgery with fibroids so big(12cm,9cm,6cm). i am glad i researched a lot and am very happy with my results. so never give up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2008, 06:08 AM

home bbd2000!

I didn't use either but I know that many ladies have a preference for one or the other, and I hope they'll be along soon to share their experiences.

In the meantime, if you try a Google Search of HysterSisters (towards the top right of this page) you'll find many threads to read through. Here's a link to one to start you off: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ight=heat+cold.

Sending all good wishes for a smooth recovery!

Unread 04-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Ice or heat on incisions?

Hi there bbd2000!

For the first month after my surgery (I had a total abdominal hysterectomy), I used ice packs. I put ice cubes in a baggie and then put a small towel over the baggie so it wouldn't get too cold! The ice helped with the pain and a little with the swelling. It worked very well and it did make me feel better.

A note of caution about the heat....I did not use a heating pad because being very sleepy from the pain meds, I was fearful of falling asleep and the heat getting too hot. I know several people who have gotten burned by heating pads and hot water bottles, because the heat was warm and cozy but made them fall asleep. When they woke up, they were burned and had to seek medical attention.

I wish you a smooth recovery. Take it easy and just rest, rest, rest!!!

Have a sunny day!

Take care, Irish Bridie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2008, 12:19 PM

I had a TAH, and sometimes I liked cool and sometimes I liked heat. I used a frozen gel pack wrapped in a towel for cool and a rice pack heated in the microwave for heat.
Unread 04-27-2008, 12:54 PM

Be careful is using the heat. A sister posted here that she burnt herself when falling asleep with the heat. Myself, I prefer the cool...takes away the "burning" sensation that I feel in my abdomen.
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM

i did use ice and that really helped. did you find it hard to rest? i sometimes feel i am doing to much already, because i really do feel good. some sharp tummy pains, and not really to tired.
i do like watching my husband come in from work everyday and put a load of laundry in!!!!!!!
thanks for reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register