Difficulty Sleeping, Nightmares, Hot & Cold Sweats, and Crying Spells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Difficulty Sleeping, Nightmares, Hot & Cold Sweats, and Crying Spells Difficulty Sleeping, Nightmares, Hot & Cold Sweats, and Crying Spells

Unread 04-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Difficulty Sleeping, Nightmares, Hot & Cold Sweats, and Crying Spells

Help...I am 24 years old 17 days post op from a TLH. My left ovary was remoed, but my right ovary which had no problems remained intact. However, now that I am physically starting to feel better from the pain I have noticed some other distrurbing side effects which I had hoped would improved are getting much worse and I am becoming scared that I am going into early menopause and that my remaining over shutting down. I am having hot and cold flashes both accompanied with a lot of sweat. I have a terrible time falling asleep (even though I haven't been napping, I am off the pain meds, I have beeen taking walks to get exercise, and I take Tylenol PM for a sleep aid) and when I finally do fall asleep I have terrible nightmares which are very upsetting every night. I wake up feeling exhausted in the morning and I don't want to get out of bed. Also, I feel very depressed and am having crying spells that are very hard to snap out of. Is this normal? I am hoping that it just takes a few weeks for the ovary to kick back in again and this will go away. Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Hi, I'm 35 and had TAH on 4/8 I also had one ovary removed, my left one was left as it was normal, my right was removed because of cyts. I also have depression and want to sleep alot. I have read on this site that after surgery our ovary that is left behind sometimes goes into shock and doesn't kick in to normal action for awhile. I don't know if this is what is going on with us or not, i asked my dr about the crying spells and sleepiness and he said this was normal for the time i'm in my recovery process and that it should be better with time. I suggest you sleep when you feel you need to, i'm taking naps every day something i haven't done in forever. I sometimes feel so exhausted i can't keep my eyes open. So don't worry, talk to your dr if you feel that you are very concerned. But, from what others have posted here we are all in the same position. One day we are tired the next not so bad. Take it one day at a time. Try not to stress. We are still early in recovery and just our bodies healing from surgery requires that we rest and take it easy. Good luck to you, hope you feel better soon.
Unread 04-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Hi. I had the same thing happen to me. I still have both of my ovaries. I too went through the night sweats/cold spells/no nightmares but still have very vivid dreams. I was told that your ovaries/ovary kind of hibernate because of the trauma. It takes a nap. Don't worry. You will snap out of it. Mine lasted about two weeks and I finally leveled off. I can say I still have very vivid dreams which leave me some morning exhausted because I feel like I'm living them instead of dreaming them. But there good dreams. Nothing bad and no nightmares. Hang in there, you'll bounce back and be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Don't feel bad. I feel hopeless at 37!

I'm experiencing all but the nightmares. I was able to keep both ovaries but I don't think they've "bounced back" yet. I'm five months post op today and was hoping to be leveled out by now. My only advice - be patient. Recognize the symptoms for what they are and work through them. I cry at the drop of a hat now and my DH made a big deal about it at first, which made me cry more. Now he just hands me a tissue. I'm trying to avoid HRT so my doctor said to give the ovaries a full 12 months to recover.

Keep your chin up!
Unread 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM

I had a LAVH BSO on 4/16......I have been having a hard time sleeping too. I haven't had nightmares but I've been having some pretty intense dreams. I have been having hot and cold flashes as well. And boy this crying thing has complete control over me at the moment (i'm even waking up at night and finding myself crying) Our bodys have been through so much, it effects us physically and emotionally.....I guess everything takes "time" to recover and adjust to what has happened to us. I hope things get better for you, and I hope it's sooner rather than later. Your in my thoughts and prayers. The best of luck in your recovery.
Unread 04-29-2008, 02:14 PM

HI,
I did not keep either of my ovaires part of it was because of my age and because ovarian cancer is so hard to detect without a cervix and an uterus I come from a family of women who do not have bad menopause so I really wasn't afraid of it. My doctor told me when I was in the decision making process of all of this that the average age of menopause starts between 35-55 with the majority of age of 51. I am or was at the time 42 now I have had a b-day so I am staying at 42 LOL anyway for me I just decided to have both go, and I understand why some women would want to hang on to them. I lasted about 2 months before I got any symptoms and I had more cold flashes then hot and actually my menopause issues were very manegable. I talked to the doctor at my 3 month check up and he asked me some questions about how I as feeling and I told him I feel pretty good get tired sometimes for no reason, I wake up every night at 2-3 and can't get back to sleep for an hour or more and the hot flashes are about 4-6 a day. I can cry on the drop of a dime (I should go into acting now he said this is all considered menopause and asked me about my diet, he said that many times when a women has only one ovary removed it goes into shock and it could go dead or it could in time start ticking again but since I don't have mine he was worried not about menopausal issues but bone loss, when your ovaries are not working or working properly then you have to address bone loss so I am now on hormonal replacement that addresses this issue but helps in the other areas too. I no longer have any hot flashes during the day and I don't feel whipped out or tired anymore and actually feel pretty chipper and happy during the day. I have heard that sometimes when you have surgery that your ovary or ovaries go into shock but that in time it can or may not reverse it's self. I wish you the best and hopfully you will get back on tract !!!
Unread 04-29-2008, 06:32 PM

I am almost 4 mths post op and my symptoms started 9 weeks post op, they are not getting any better for me and almost 2 mths of feeling like this is making me feel crazy. I started with cold flashes and now they have progressed to cold and hot flashes. I have headaches, dizziness, crying spells, irritability, occasional night sweats, sore breasts, and fatigue. I have heard that some women only have these symptoms for a few weeks, I hope you are one of those women.
Unread 04-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Oh honey I am so so sorry, I do understand. I started off slow too and ended up having about 4-6hot/cold flashes a day (I hate to be cold!!) I felt really tired and alone and lonely everyday and I started to work because I had too because my husband lost his job. ( I hate him too anyway I started work and was so tired I could not stay awake to watch any of my most favorite shows. My legs would hurt so bad at night, they felt heavy and achy, they would literally throb and I never had this before. I was so afraid to go on hormone replacement I am not sure why. I feel so much better now although i am taking replacement now and I am telling you it has made a huge difference!! Good luck, call you doc that is what they are there for
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:33 AM

Thanks everyone for all the support, it feels a lot better to know I am not alone.
Blondraider I am so sorry you had to go back to work early. How soon did you go back? Do you feel like that was a mistake in the long run, or are you getting better?
I am going back to work on Monday. I will start out part time, with a few hours each day working back up to a full day. I am nervous though, because while I have a desk job, I have a very stressful work environment due to a very nasty boss, so we will see how that works out with my crying spells! How is your work? Also, how are the hot/cold flashes now?
I went to my dr. on Monday a week early for my 2nd post op because when I called to tell them what was going on they said to come in. My dr. said it is totally normal and my hormone levels will bounce back once my body recovers. In any event, he took my blood to check hormone levels just in case. Also, he prescribed me ambien for my sleep issues and they must be really bad because I have told that is a pretty strong sleep medication that works very quickly and I could not fall asleep for hours! Who knows what's wrong.
Most importantly, my pathology report came back and confirmed adenomyosis, so that was a relief knowing that I underwent the only cure for this disease. Surprising as I am so young and have never had kids, but I guess it really can happen to anyone!
Thanks again everyone, for your support and feedback it always helps to hear from those who have been there!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register