Questions about fluid pockets | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about fluid pockets Questions about fluid pockets

Unread 04-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Questions about fluid pockets

I have so many questions about the fliud pocket:

How was the fluid pocket drained - and by whom and when?

DId you have time to research it or not?

Were you given any choices (who to do it, when to do it, how to do it) or did they just do it?

Did it hurt?

Thx
Jax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2008, 03:20 PM

I had never heard of developing a fluid pocket, but the gyn told me (when they found it) that it is common with abdominal surgeries. And I tried to research it but most came up on sites that had lipo surgeries and developed pockets close to the incision area. Mine is pushing on my bladder. I actually thought I had developed another cyst, since I still have my right ovary. Luckily, it did not develop and infection. That was the biggest concern. And if it wasn't causing pain, they typically will let it try to go away on it's own. But it really hurt...felt like a cyst again.

The surgery itself is outpatient (typically) and done by CAT Scan guidance. Luckily, I was all "hooked up" and ready for surgery when they ran the scan to see where to place the drainage tube and noticed that the pocket had shrunk on it's own (they didn't think it would due to it's size). So the surgeon and my gyn had a quick little meeting and decided to wait...thankfully they hadn't started the "knock me out" meds. Now I go back on May 9th to have another scan and see if I need the drainage tube.

If I would have had the tube, it would have been in for 2 weeks w/ a bag collecting the fluid. They say it is not painful. The complications are hitting my bladder when trying to enter the pocket. And infection in the opening for the drainage tube. I just hope and pray that I do not need to have it done. I started having the pain again this week.
Unread 04-26-2008, 03:43 PM

You've gone through some pretty heavy duty surgeries and such, you Really don't have to worry about a colonoscopy. They've made it so easy. The worst part is truly the prep, and that's no big deal. They give you a warm comforting blanket, you go to sleep and the next thing you know, it's over and you're on your way home. I hope no one ever avoids a colonoscopy because of fear of the procedure. With mine, I had to have polyps removed and it still was a piece of cake. I'm soooo glad I had it done. I had another one a year later (fairly recently) because of finding polyps the first time, and there were no polyps, so that eased my mind, but you can bet I won't be missing any tests in the future. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2008, 08:34 PM

part of the reason for my CT scan is to look for these fluid pockets - and I have had the same problem trying to find out any information - - most of the info just does not perrtain.

To put in the tube: do they cut your belly and then stick it in? Is a surgeon always present? If they find one on monday they wont just start operating on me - will they - without giving me a chance to say Yea or nay? I am worried aboutthis. SUrgeon did not giv e me much to go on...

Jax
Unread 04-27-2008, 08:02 AM

The surgery is actually performed in the CAT Scan room. Considering that they need a "team" to assist with the process - nurse, meds, etc., I would doubt they would do it that day. The scan would need to be read...and I haven't had much luck with getting results right away. My scan was done one week and then I met with the doctor a week later to discuss what to do about it. Then another week later, I was scheduled for surgery. I was told the incision would be small to insert the drainage tube. A scan will be performed the day of surgery to locate where the surgeon will insert the tube. And sometimes if it is an easy access area and small, they can simply drain it and not have to leave in the tube. But after talking to the doctor, I think you are better off leaving in the tube. This way the pocket is less likely to refill and having another procedure. I honestly wanted it gone because I didn't want to run the risk of infection. The fluid can become infected causing more even more pain. My pain is back again but no fevers, so it must not be infected. I go back on May 9th for my follow up scan to see if the drainage tube is still needed.

Good luck!!
Unread 04-27-2008, 10:20 AM

I think you are right to not risk the infection. There is more than one theory about what happened to me, and in the end no one will ever know the truth, but the fluid turning into infection is one of them.

I had the CT showing fluid and a cuff infection. I had another CT after a long round of heavy antibiotics showing improvement. But 7ish weeks later I had to undergo emergency surgery because I had developed 2 huge abdominal abscesses.

I won't go on because what happened to me was extreme and unusual. It won't likely happen to either of you. But let me say how I wish I only had to have the fluid drained. I know its easy for me to say that now and I'm not taking your situations lightly, only encouraging you to follow through with your issues until you have a complete resolution. These complications can turn into a big deal and if sharing what happened to me will help even one person not go there, then good

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Unread 04-27-2008, 12:48 PM

Yes - I've had a total of 4 now since my orignal hyster on Nov. 6th. My Dr doesn't think I need a post surgery one this time because I'm feeling so well. He told me though that he is happy to do one for my own piece of mind and he wouldn't blame me if I wanted it. At first I did because I kept thinking what if it happens again. But I worry about being so 'glow-in-the-dark' and I think I was / am having a little post traumatic stress. Each week that I feel stronger / healthier I get less nervous. I think once I get significantly past the 13 week out mark (that was 'd-day') I will really feel that this is behind me and I can get on with my life. I am 11 weeks now.

As far as drinking the barium, you can mix Nestle Quik (that's what my lb told me) in it to help it taste better. I had a white sort of tropical flavor and I guess the Quik made it a wee bit better. Curiously enough when I was in the hospital the CT they did there was also with contrast and they gave me a cherry drink that was thin like water instead of the thick white stuff. They served it on alot of ice and it was SO much better. If I have another I will definitely request that!

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register