Prejudice attitudes over different hysterectomy procedures | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Prejudice attitudes over different hysterectomy procedures Prejudice attitudes over different hysterectomy procedures

Unread 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Prejudice attitudes over different hysterectomy procedures

Hey! I have been experiencing a couple of attitudes from different people both medical and not. When I was in the ER, 5 days post-op/terrible abdominal pain not relieved by meds, the nurses would kinda get a little "exasperated" with me when it took me 5 minutes to get off the table or walk down the hall....One said, "So you had a laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy and are still in this much pain?" I glared at her and said "No...I had a total ABDOMINAL hysterectomy!" The look was then sympathetic, like, ok, you have a right to feel this much pain, now...Even family and friends will call or talk to my Mom...and they're like, "She's still in bed, or napping or not out and about shopping, yet?" Me and Mom remind them that I had an abdominal hysterectomy and they go, oh....ok...I hope she feels better soon...I feel pretty good and all, and I am doing great, but people are clueless...my husband and family included....my statute of compassion has run out in my house...two weeks was their limit...I swear I had more compassion and support when I had my c-sections and my recovery with those was not even near as bad as what I am experiencing now. Even ladies that have laparascopic/vaginal have to take it easy for quite a while...remember, I am the one with the cousin that had a LVH and she was sore for a day or two and went back to work full time after only 3 days!!!! I am venting but thanks for listening...I don't think I had a question, I just needed to whine to people that would understand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM

People just DONT get it!....The nurse didn't do her homework very good!...you take all the time you need its your body, if they dont do as u ask...it will be there when ur ready!...that is a givin!

Good Luck..hoping you have a better afternoon!
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Rachel
Don't worry about what other's think... You need to take care of yourself and if that takes two weeks, two months, or two years... Crap on them!!
How long have you been taking care of everyone else and they haven't had surgery...
You may have lost some female parts, but take it from me... I grew Balls the size of Manhatten... and I use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2008, 04:33 PM

I had someone ask me last night "You are STILL taking pain medication???"

Why yes, I am. My stomach was cut open almost hip to hip...whaddya expect?
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM

If pain is suppose to be gone in three days I would not have been given a prescription for a month's worth of narcotics and Motrin. If you weren't in bed you would be sitting in a chair or on the couch. Our activity is extremely limited. My exercise is to eat in the kitchen, change the dvd, go upstairs to take a shower and use the restroom. Real exciting!

If anyone says anything, tell them you are following Dr's orders.
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Agree with all and

like Patti O who had surgery around my time I also grew those big balls!! I love that post. You take the time you need to heal, you know your body best and feel no guilt or anything in your recovery. Let me tell you, ( TAH/BSO by the way) 3 months out and I still have incision discomfort, especially when tired and by evening I am beat. I do have to say that last week was a turning point---no nuprin and stronger. Hang in there and do only what's comfortable and what you feel is best for yourself!!
Unread 04-28-2008, 05:04 PM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on 4-23. I'm still having a lot of abdominal pain (maybe gas, who knows) and still taking percoset. Everyone heals at their own pace so don't let others who haven't gone through what you've gone through dictate when you should be healed. Your body will tell you, not them. Hang in there and know you have support here.

Take care,
Sue
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM

Sorry I must have sent it twice .
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:57 PM

Had myTVH on 2/20/2008They also had to take tubes ,overies,cervix and uteris.Also had a tvt. I have had bladder problems for many years so my bladder surgury ended up more complicated.I am also 50 years old.My bladder had cancer in it.So I am now having to go three times a week for bladder thearpy(not plesant)I have to do a total of 21 sesions.So on top of my surgery I have that to deal with.I love when people say to me you only had a Vaginal Hyst. why are you still not back to normal............I wish people would think about what they are saying....I would love to be my old self it will just take a bit more time.I wish all of you well. Your body knows when you will take the turn to feeling normal again
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:03 PM

I guess some people just dont get it do they? I had abdominal hysterectomy April 22, 2008, I am 44 yrs old, never had children and people are "reassurring" me with the kind words of "lucky you, no period" and 'you can have my kids"

a bit insensitive I think......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register