Anyone else a slow healer ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else a slow healer ? Anyone else a slow healer ?

Unread 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Anyone else a slow healer ?

I have been amazed at people who say they're back to work at week 2, or driving around after a month and back to workouts in the gym at six weeks!!

I'm at Week 10 and still have so much abdominal soreness and tenderness. I try and do any activity like walking or swimming and I hurt more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to be healing steadily. I am learning not to push it but are there others around who feel Like I do?

Slow-healing Sisters, are you out there???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM

While I didn't hurt, I was exhausted and bled for three months after my hysterectomy. It was months before I did anything other than only absolutely necessary walking as it wiped me out so much!

So in there and keep taking it one day at a time! S
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Hi Mon Lee.

My surgery was on 2/15/08 and I am 11 weeks post-op this Friday. I also have considered myself a slow healer. In fact, I had an abdominal cat scan last week because I was still having more pain than I felt I should be having. The results did not show anything major and I am happy about that but still disappointed that recovery is taking so long. I know that many hystersisters say it takes about 6 months before you don't really think about your surgery on a daily basis but I surely was not prepared for such a long haul. Wish the doctor would have been more informative. I am also still very tired everyday since I went into surgical menopause - I had everything removed. Still cannot lift anything heavy.

I hope you continue to heal each and everyday - as everyone has told me - try to be patient and it will happen. I guess that is a little easier said than done!

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Monlee-I am at week 10 also. I am still having discomfort/mild pain constantly. I still have a lot of pressure/discomfort when urinating. I had tests done and everything was normal. Some days I get so frustrated. When the doctor said 6-8 weeks, I thought I would be back to normal. I tried to load the dishwasher yesterday and couldn't finish. I am not used to being this reliant on others. I started back to work and everyone is constantly asking how I feel. I cried the other day because I couldn't answer them for the umpteenth time. I know I am better than I was 10 weeks ago, but I would like just one day without discomfort/pain. I am glad to know I am not the only one. Thanks for letting me vent.
Unread 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
slow healer,no

you just need more patience! I'm a fine one to tell you that because just 2 weeks ago I thought I would jump out of my skin. I felt drained from still feeling the pull and being so tired. I snapped out of it when I just accepted the fact that it's going to take time. Well, even in the last 2 weeks although still tired and really feel the incision when I'm tired I feel big strides. We underwent a big surgery and our bodies are readjusting. I hope you feel better,
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM
pain below the belly button 7 weeks post op

I am getting very frustrated now that I am 7 weeks post op. I was doing very well on my first weeks but the further I go, I feel like going down hill on my recovery. I am very much concerned about over doing things after 2 weeks post op. I felt very energetic then that I have been doing almost all my routine stuffs except those forbidden activities like heavy lifting etc. I have been pain free after 2 weeks post op but then this week which is supposed to be my 7 weeks post op, I started feeling a weird discomfort below my below button. It feels like a needle pricking pulsating sensation in one spot just below my belly button. I have been wearing abdominal binder most of the time since after surgery and I am wondering if I applied my abdominal binder very tight that might have caused this discomfort. I stopped my abdominal binder because of this concern I have. Anybody of you had the same experience ? Applying pressure over the area does not hurt but it's weird because the weird sensation comes back after taking off the pressure from the area. I will be seeing my doctor next week. Thanks !

silver wings
TAH with BSO due to stage 4 endometriosis, appendectomy, cervix removed, lysis of adhesion, bladder tuck
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Hi Monica,
I'm so sorry you still aren't feeling as well as you think you should. I will be 11 wks on Wednesday, and I still get sore if I over do it. We all heal in our own time, and while you are healing and doing things the way you should be, those of us that felt so good are out doing things that could cause problems in the future! Maybe it isn't such a bad thing. Give yourself a break!
I know you are frustrated, and the stress from that isn't helping you either. You had MAJOR surgery, and it's ok for you take your time and heal properly. When I look back at my recovery that is still on going, If I could do it over again I surely would do some things differently. You only get one opportunity to do it right!
Pamper yourself, let people help you, and don't feel guilty about it. You need and deserve this time.
Take care and take it easy on yourself.

Cat
Unread 04-28-2008, 09:29 PM

I too, am a slow healer, Will be one week post op tomorrow and after reading some of these others posts, i feel like I should be out there doing more! It takes all i have just to take a shower let alone go for a walk down the block. I have been wearing the binder which i find helps me out, but my belly right where the smiley face cut is located is numb to the touch...very wierd.

It's not easy being a princess in discomfort
Unread 04-28-2008, 11:34 PM

My surgery was on Jan 21 and YES I was a slow healer too. I got discouraged because it seemed I'd take one step forward and two steps back but now i'm feeling great and not having any problems at all. My vaginal cuff was not healing inside at my six weeks post op appt but after inserting medication in there it was healed by 8 weeks. I have pretty much returned to doing most things except carrying heavy feed buckets to all our animals but i'm a small woman and my Dr said I shouldn't be doing that anyway
Good luck to you and just hang in there your in my prayers.
Unread 04-29-2008, 04:55 AM

I wasn't healed at the 6 week check-up. I am using the cream now so hopefully at 8 weeks, I will be healed.

I am doing pretty much everything that I used to, except avoid heavy lifting. I also take it easy whenever I feel like it, whether anyone else likes it or not.

My stomach is still sore in spots, and I still get very tired. But I can't complain because I thought the whole ordeal would be worse than it has been.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register