Anyone else a slow healer ? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else a slow healer ? Anyone else a slow healer ?

Unread 04-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Anyone else a slow healer ?

Maybe we should form a slow healers club!??!!? There seems to be many of us. I am at 12 weeks post op, and still have some mild abdominal discomfort and pain at the incision. I am back to working full time, but if i try and wear heels all day I am really sore at the end of the day. Im walking again too, but every other day instead of every day and even that makes the next day more uncomfortable.

On the plus side, the brain fog is gone... I feel like when i go to work I can finally concentrate and be productive. I still get tired easily, so I am going to bed earlier and trying to get a full 8 hours sleep. Saturday, we were having guests for dinner, I worked in the morning, ran to the grocery store for steaks, came home and decided to lay down for a "quick" nap, and my DH woke me up an hour and a half later.

This week is the first week I can sometimes forget about the discomfort, and I too am frustrated by how slow this process was.

Another good note..going to Vegas in 2 weeks! Have a goal to shoot for so I can enjoy that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 06:44 AM

Feeling like a bit of a slow healer myself, here at four weeks out.
Drove to Walmart yesterday (first time driving....I know some drive at two weeks out, but I wasn't ready) and pushed a cart around for about 20 minutes. Then to the grocery store. Well, I made it down a whole TWO aisles before the stabbing pains came. They tend to be where my left ovary used to be and around my belly button. I had to leave.
By the time I got home I was tired and crying in frustration.
Its really hard to compare with other women. Of course we naturally compare our recoveries to those who are doing really well. Sometimes I feel like a failure that I'm still gimping along so slowly - and wonder if the pain is normal. A week ago I popped a stitch in the vaginal cuff, but honestly, I don't think I was doing enough activity to even cause it. But its really made it "two steps forward, one step back."
Anyway, chin up....we will all get through this!
Unread 04-29-2008, 07:07 AM

To all you slow healers, looking back ( im 12 weeks post op) I wish now I had taken it easier. I went back to work part time ( 3hour stretches at a time) at 4 weeks, and I shouldnt have. I think it slowed down my total recovery by forcing my body to do something it wasnt ready for. All of my life when ive been sick i usually push thru the illnes, but this was different, and I really couldnt push thru it like i have,

Take the time and heal, and give yourself the permission to take it slow, its frustrating I know and hard to do, but truly, it is the best way. I just got back from a 2 mile walk with my dog, and believe me, hes a handful and Im feeling some twinges.. and Im 12weeks post op!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 08:32 AM

i am so glad you started this thread... i feel like i to am taking 3 steps forward 2 steps back.. i realize we all heal differently , but i am sick of myself these days.. i just want to get on with my life.. i did alot to push early on to feel normal again, but now i am a couch potato again.. so frustrating...glad the brain fog is lifting , but still get real dizzy and the more i do my belly just hurts terrible...i think we all have in our minds where we think we should be post-op.. and when we dont get there, we are just bummed out.. i know i set myself up for that.. i dont like to feel like i cant do things and i am not one to ask for help.. i want to be in control of my life.. or at least feel like i can have enough energy to shower...LOL.. last night i tried to cook dinner (once again) and found it a challange to stand straight and hold the ice pack in place while not burning the food...all while my darling watched...gggrrr... i know it will get better, but when? i'll try to be patient with myself, but i am glad i have you ladies who understand what i am going threw...we are not alone...
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM

scare d cat:
Re:. . . last night i tried to cook dinner (once again) and found it a challange to stand straight and hold the ice pack in place while not burning the food. . .

I had to smile at your comment as I walked around with my ice pack tied to me using a sash from a robe -- very fashionable, I'm sure, but it worked! I am still taking a sit-down rest after my morning shower at 7+ weeks. It does take a bit our of the day, but at least I can get started then. If I do too much in one day, I have to sit with my feet up the next. I'm getting a lot of reading done at least!

The road to recovery is stretching!
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:11 AM

like the sash idea.. my ice pack kept slipping down my pant leg, and i kept thinking it was melting faster with the heat from the stove...LOL
i am sick of resting but not well enough to do much..
glad i made someone smile today...
take care and be well...
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM

I'm nearly 7 weeks post-op and went to bed in tears yesterday. I have all sorts of different pains and although they are all mild, I can't wait to feel good, really good even for just a day!!

I get a weird sensation of pins poking, around the cuff area and that's the worst...oh, and when does the tiredness go away. I still nap every single day for about 45min.!!! Do you?
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:47 AM

i dont nap, but i def, rest most of the day.... i know how you feel about the different pains although they are mild to moderate i am sick of feeling this way... i thought that i would be feeling better every day, maybe small baby steps , but still somewhat better... seems as though one thing gets better and another new pain pops up...
Unread 04-29-2008, 01:54 PM

this is a wonderful site, and you ladies are so encouraging. I SO feel a vent session coming on - and THANK YOU in advance for "listening" and understanding.
Yes, it helps to know you are not ALONE.
This is the first day I actually verbalized that maybe it was a mistake to have this surgery, but then my husband reminded me that I really didn't have much choice. And I'm sure I'll be really glad one day, but that day is not today!
I am so, so frustrated with my body. I'm just plain tired, but yet I can't sleep. Weird pains where there are NO ORGANS left (!!!???)....just when you think you're at least familiar with a certain KIND of pain, another twinge pops up. Aching and the weariness - it hits you and you just simply can't "push through" it. And I don't recognize my belly anymore (and it wasn't that great to begin with!) - there is no "sucking it in", thats for sure. I'm surely nowhere near where I expected to be, physically, or emotionally. I feel fat and dumpy and I think my robe could walk around on its own by now. Its a red-letter day when I put on a bra (forget makeup), and NOTHING fits. Thank the Lord for elastic and drawstrings. When I'm trucking along pretty good, pampering myself, this WAVE of CRYING comes on (I have one ovary left and I'm not afraid to use it!) and I cannot stop.
But then...eventually....I'm ok again.
I guess we all need time, and to cut ourselves some slack. I AM grateful for my blessings - which are so many - just frustrated right now. (For instance, right now I'm grateful that ya'll understand). HUGS,
Unread 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Go girl..you got that out of your systems and it actually felt darn good reading you too. I feel the same way, some moments are good and I'm thinking Yipee...no more periods or pain and the next minute I'm so tired of being tired and sore and walking slooooowly and the end of the day.

I went to Wal marts today and by the time I left, people were pushing past me I was walking so slow!!

I am also very grateful for the gazillions of blessings and am also ecstatic to know that I am 7 weeks (almost) post op rather than scheduled for surgery the future...the worst is behing us ladies and what lies ahead is all good.

Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register