Pain, pain, pain, incision care and odor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain, pain, pain,  incision care and odor Pain, pain, pain, incision care and odor

Unread 07-28-2001, 10:56 PM
Pain, pain, pain, incision care and odor

I am 44 and have had my share of surgeries but nothing like this! I realize that I am only 6 days post-op as I had a TAH on 7/23/01. I hope you as veterans can give me some info. I have constant lower back pain and almost like period cramping in my abdomen. Along with that, since my ovaries are still in tact, my right ovary is very painful. Is this normal? I am having a hard time dealing with the pain as pain normally does not bother me. Also, I was in such a rush to get out of the hospital, I did not ask about wound care. My incision is along the C-section scar (naval to pubis.) When they took off the bandage, the resident ripped my skin on one side, everywhere, and now I have scabbing and what appears to be blisters. I am not stapled but I do have strips of adhesive tape over the incision. Am I supposed to be working these strips off? If so, is there any kind of solution that will help the adhesice come off easier? Lastly, I am getting an odor of dried or 'old' blood from my vagina. It is not all the time but it can be pretty overpowering. My puppy's gas smells like roses right now compared to me. Is this normal and if so, what can I use to eleviate this blood odor? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I had the TAH as I was full of fibroids and constant heavy bleeding and pain. I just never imagined, especially after 2 sections, that I would feel this lousy and because of this, I am really beginning to question my decision. Again, I thank one and all for any feedback you can give me and am very proud to be a member of the sisterhood and the walking wounded. Thanks everyone and also wishing all good luck, good recovery and good health! Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2001, 11:11 PM

Hi Kathy--I did not have an outside incesion I had a TVH. Are you using a heating pad? I am close to 3weeks post-op and mine has not had much of a rest! I had the steri-strips when I had my laproscopic gallbladder removal. They just sort of work themselves off, so don't worry about that. I am so sorry that resident hurt you that way. I guess you felt like a human guinea
pig. Also , please use your pain-meds every 4 hours or so and do not wait until you are miserable. It is much harder for your body to stop the pain if you wait until it is bad. What did they send you home with? If it is not strong enough do not be afraid to let your doctor know. I had percocet every 4 hours and he also gave me Toradol(this is wonderful stuff) to take every 6. A hysterectomy is about the most major surgery you can endure and is definantly harder than a c-section. I am just now coming off my meds-- I am down to about 1 a day now. The oder should not be very stinky
but it is definantly strong. I shower every day and when my internal stitches began to dissolve that really was a gross smell.
Do you have someone there to stay wit you and help you out?
Most of all if you feel you are not getting better, please call your doctor. Remember-- get that heating pad and plug her in!
Continue posting with your questions!
P.S. Lower back pain is very normal-- I woke up in recovey with it. It is where they sever the ligaments and reattach to other places inside-- like your back!
Unread 07-28-2001, 11:17 PM

Hi Kathy,
I also had a TVH but I have had c-sections just like you. The steri strips work themselves off -usually from taking showers when they become very loose and you can remove them without pulling on the skin at ALL, then they are ready to come off- and usually not all at once. Know what I mean? I don't think you are supposed to work them off before that. I could be wrong though.

Also the smell I haven't noticed although I use the thin mini pads that have the fragrant smell to them so that might be why. LOL

Ohmy, that is not cool about hurting you when they removed the bandage. That sounds so painful- I hope that heals quickly for you!

I agree with Sheri to take the meds (if you were prescribed some) and if not, talk to your dr about pains you are feeling. I will say that I did have minor back aches starting about the time you are in now- 6 days post op but they only lasted less than a week. So hopefully your back pain won't last long also.

Oh and about the ovary being painful- this could be just normal healing but if you have other symptoms of ovulation (which I did) the dr said that the ovary pain is from ovulating. This could be what's happening to you and that's a good sign that the ovary is doing it's job I guess. Again, the pain meds help get through that pain also.

Hang in there, fellow s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2001, 11:33 PM

Hi Kathy , My Goodness, you are only 6 days post op!!! I'll try and address your concerns one by one, but I will try and keep this brief because you should be . First off, the cramping that you feel is very normal. After my surgery I remember having pain very similar to 'contractions" and found that extemely odd since there was no longer anything left to contract. During your surgery there was alot of cutting and stretching done so you are going to 'feel it' more so than you did a C-Section. Remember, during a C-Section they are removing a fetus which is SUPPOSED to come out. During a hyst, they are removing an organ. Big difference. If your incision is covered with steri-strips, leave them alone. Try and keep them clean and dry. An odor eminating from them is normal but use your own judgment to differentiate if it is 'stronger' or more unpleasant than you would think. Upon discharge from the hospital you should have received some paperwork concerning aftercare. Please refer to it. If you did not get discharge papers from the hospital please call your doctor and discuss this. You may experience back and abdominal pain from trapped gas . Unfortunately, this can be pretty painful. plenty of non-carbonated beverages. This will also help to get your bowels moving. Continue to take your pain meds to keep on top of the pain. It is easier to 'fight' the pain BEFORE it is bad, than to try and get rid of it later. Keep your feet UP and let yourself be pampered.

Please keep us posted on your recovery.

Hyster hugs,
Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register