Sorry, one week post-op no bm | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sorry, one week post-op no bm Sorry, one week post-op no bm

Unread 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Sorry, one week post-op no bm

Sorry, I am sure this is answered already somewhere here, I just cant sit much longer trying to find it. Today, is 2 steps backward for me, however, I havent had any percocet since yesterday. does that help your attitude? Also, no bm yet, i have taken softeners the last two days, any advice please/ thanks to you all,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM

You need to drink plenty of fluids. I found that dried prunes help and so did fiber cereal. Good luck!!!!
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:18 AM

i am still having bm issues, i find every few days if i dont take a lax, i am in more pain...this is what i've been told to help... walk, walk , walk.. drink prune juice, eat fiber.. pain meds can constapate you,(havent taken a narcotic since i came home) and drink lots of fluids... i do all that and still have these issues... i find that when i do the lax. i go for a whole day, then i dont for a few days.. vicious cycle.. when does it end.. and i can poop normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Hi my name is Tammy. I am recovering going on my second week. the pain meds they put you on is definitely is what is causing your BM. Did you try suppositories or prune juice. That helped me the only thing now is that I have diah.
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM

I had (have) the same problem and ended up using stool softeners, prune juice and a laxative. I just couldn't get things moving and ended up hurting myself so my Dr. said do whatever I needed to get going. Now I am trying to wean off of the laxatives and am down to about every couple of days needing them (knock on wood!), still on the prune juice and stool softeners . Have you called your Dr. to ask what they recommend? Best of luck, you are definitely not alone!
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:36 AM

I finally had to use a laxative, after about 5 days,but I bought one that was all natural ingredients so it wasn't so harsh on my system. It worked really well, I only had to use 2 tablets one day and the for the next two days I used one tablet only. Not really any more problems. I've also been drinking really yummy cherry cider and that seems to help keep things happening.
Unread 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM

it was almost a week before i was able to have a BM. i had mine april 7th, and i'm just now getting back to normal (which is a major relief!). i found that prune juice actually worked better for me than stool softeners, which was a surprise. now i have half a bottle in the fridge i don't know what to do with. it's unsweetened and not the best tasting stuff. XD
as for the percocet, yes, i found that it greatly effected my mood, especially in the first couple of weeks. besides being a little addicting, which can cause withdrawal moodiness, pain can be emotionally and not just physically exhausting. i'm now down to taking one or two percocet a day, depending on how active/sore i am. i usually take one shortly before i take a shower, which is still a soreness-causing and exhausting activity.
Unread 04-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Be careful with laxitives as they can make your bowels rely on them and delay things from going back to normal. Also they cause cramping. What worked best for me was Milk Of Magnesia. I didn't have a bm for more than a week and I took stool softener since the surgery. I had to take 3 doses of the MOM before it worked. Problem was I spent the whole day in the bathroom and hemoroids(spelling?) flared up. Still not back to normal but I'm trying to let my body adjust on it's own. Drink plenty of water!
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM

i had that problem and used a "smooth move" tea from the health store and i had one the next day.
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:01 AM

My LASH was 4/23, I used stool softeners starting on 4/24 on 4/25 I used Milk of Magnesia, all it did was give me painful gas and gag me from the chalky aftertaste. What worked for me is a cherry limeade. I know that sounds weird but we have an ice cream store here that makes fresh cherry limeades and they always make me have a BM so I sent my oldest DD to get me one Friday evening and it worked within a couple of hours and I have had at least one BM every day since. Oh the percoset with constipate you also according to my pharmacist. I quit taking those on Saturday.

If you haven't had one yet you should call your doctor. Eat lots of fiber, drink lots of water, move around enough. Be careful with the laxatives they are addictive apparently. I did not realize that but my sister warned me about that.

Best of luck

D

Best of luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register