4 months out and Dr suspects adhesions. Anyone else??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 months out and Dr suspects adhesions. Anyone else??? 4 months out and Dr suspects adhesions. Anyone else???

Unread 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
4 months out and Dr suspects adhesions. Anyone else???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLee
Donna,
I am now 10 weeks and have the burning pain in my hips and my belly is still tender. For me, I have no pain inside but my muscles have taken a real beating. Every muscle in my stomach still aches. Where they "stretched" my muscles under my belly button still aches. I have read many posts where ladies are 10 months out and still can't bump their tummy without feeling it. From the many posts, it can take a long time to heal from this - MANY women say six months to a year. I think that's why they say that post-op soreness can linger on for months. There are many that are rollerblading two months later but many more of us that are still healing. Patience for me is so hard - I thought I would have been recovered in six weeks!!
Have you thought of physical therapy?
My insurance will not pay for physical therepy. My dr does want me to continue to be active and go to the gym.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM

Donna, my story is about the same as yours. I was in pain ever since my hysterectomy, but I didn't go back and tell the doctor until I was 4 months postop. He seemed to think right away that it was adhesions and named off at least 4 different reasons from my past medical history (not including the hysterectomy) why he suspected adhesions. He sent me for an ultrasound to check for other things, and that turned up 4 ovarian cysts. So, for 6 weeks I took birth control pills hoping that the cysts would shrink and disappear and so would the pain. Well, all but one cyst disappeared but the pain was even worse than 6 weeks ago. It seems like it must be adhesions, endometriosis, or both and now I am trying to decide on another surgery. I have been trying to put it off because it would be my third in a year.

I'm trying Celebrex for 2 weeks because I didn't want to take Vicodin or Darvocet. In addition to use for arthritis, it is also apparently prescribed for acute pain and menstrual pain and discomfort. It is still on the market; however, many insurance companies won't pay for it. I can tell you it really hasn't worked for me. I can't take it during the day because it makes me so drowsy that I just drop off within an hour of taking it. It also only seems to work for 6-7 hours of the 12 it is supposed to, so I'm stuck when it wears off so soon. Worst of all, every single night that I've been taking it, I've awakened between 2 and 4 a.m. and can't get back to sleep. And, despite claims that it is milder on the stomach, I've found that not to be the case. I'm wishing I had just taken the Darvocet. Thank goodness only a week to go until I see my doctor again. I think I'm just going to tell him I'm ready to face another surgery.

Good luck to you! I'm sorry that you are in pain and I hope that your doctor can find ways to help you so that you can avoid surgery.
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Adhesions

I would like to know exactly what adhesions are.
I had a hyst and gallbladder removal on 11/26/07.
Ihave been having severe pains in my stomach and right side for the past few months. I went to my primary doc, who said the pain was from the hyst, and to see the gyn; the gyn said the pain was probablyfrom gallstones left behind, and to see the surgeon who did the gallbladder. The surgeon sent me for bloodwork and an abdominal
ultrasound. When I went back to the surgeon today, he said there were no abnormalities with the test results. He then said the pain was probably from adhesions, but he did not elaborate.
This doctor is good, but he tends to want to rush you out as fast as possible so he can get to the next patient. So, I had no time to ask him to explain this to me. Does anyone have an explanation of what adhesions are, what to do about them, and how you know you have them?
What should I do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundaySchoolTea
I would like to know exactly what adhesions are.
I had a hyst and gallbladder removal on 11/26/07.
Ihave been having severe pains in my stomach and right side for the past few months. I went to my primary doc, who said the pain was from the hyst, and to see the gyn; the gyn said the pain was probablyfrom gallstones left behind, and to see the surgeon who did the gallbladder. The surgeon sent me for bloodwork and an abdominal
ultrasound. When I went back to the surgeon today, he said there were no abnormalities with the test results. He then said the pain was probably from adhesions, but he did not elaborate.
This doctor is good, but he tends to want to rush you out as fast as possible so he can get to the next patient. So, I had no time to ask him to explain this to me. Does anyone have an explanation of what adhesions are, what to do about them, and how you know you have them?
What should I do next?
Adhesions are scar tissue that forms after surgery. The way my dr explained it to me is that sometimes after surgery a patient developes adhesions (most people have them to some degree but do not cause them any problems or pain) that cause your other organs to 'stick together' and can even sometimes cause serious bowl or bladder problems by constricting the intestines. It can cause some of us alot of pain. The only way to diagnose adhesions is by having a lap sugery. They do not show up on Cts or anything else. And they do not go away on their own. I want to wait and make sure that I am not just a 'really slow healer' before I agree to have the surgery. But if the pain does not get better in the next 8 weeks I guess I will agree to do the surgery. I have had a very tender belly since the surgery. It hurts to apply any kind of pressure and if I forget and lean up against something without thinking the pain is very bad.
Unread 05-01-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I have had a very tender belly since the surgery. It hurts to apply any kind of pressure and if I forget and lean up against something without thinking the pain is very bad.
I have that also on my left side, but mine started with a laparoscopic cystectomy a year ago, so I can't really say it was the hysterectomy that caused that. It did get worse though. Sometimes even the brush of clothing on that area just sends me through the roof!

It is a shame that many doctors don't tell you about adhesions, but as someone already said, they are quite common after a hysterectomy or any pelvic/abdominal surgery. I knew that going into the hysterectomy, but I was willing to take a chance. I didn't know, however, how many factors I had against me that would have made adhesions an even more likely probability in my case.

I think you are being wise to see if you can improve over the next 8 weeks. That's about what it has taken me to decide. I hope your doctor is wrong and you see nothing but an improvement in your pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register