10 weeks post op and still rely on Miralax | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 weeks post op and still rely on Miralax 10 weeks post op and still rely on Miralax

Unread 04-29-2008, 03:02 PM
10 weeks post op and still rely on Miralax

I really feel fantastic. As I've said to my coworkers, I'm better than new I thought I was able to wean myself off my stool softener (Dulcolax) and laxative (Miralax) but it hasn't worked. I've been eating fresh fruits and veggies, have started adding Benefiber to my coffee, am still eating my prunes (2 a day), and drinking 60 - 80 ounces of water daily ... but I still get constipated without the Miralax.

I'll probably call my doc about this on Thursday but I have a feeling he's going to say not to worry. My bowels were attached to my uterus with endo, so he had alot of scraping to do. And he did give me a 5 month prescription for the Miralax even before he knew he was going to have to work on my bowels for so long, so I suspect needing them 10 weeks post op is "nothing new".

But I'd love to hear from ladies who have "been there, done that" and know from personal experience that there's nothing to be worried about.

oh well --- its 5pm --- time for me to log off from work and go in the pool .... BECAUSE I CAN !!!!! (the near constant bleeding and pain had me out of my own pool for over a year --- I'm so glad to have that, among other things, back in my life ! horray for my hysterectomy !).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM

I had my TVH at the end of January, and I still need to take a stool softener almost every night.....so I think we're normal!
Unread 04-29-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm just 3 weeks post op and starting to feel sooo much better. I also am relying on Milk of Mag and also Super Dieters Tea (basically a laxative) but if I don't use these every day i don't go. But that is not why I'm replying. I want to give you a big THANK YOU for posting your story. I have read about so many who have had trouble for months after their surgery, and it makes me feel good to hear about you, and others who have a positive recovery. So, congrat's on your new life, and here's to me getting there soon. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 04:37 PM

I am 11 days post op my surgery sounds exactly like yours, I was having a really hard time even with stool softners/laxatives at first. As soon as I got back on my daily "Green Lemonade" I am completely fine, it worked in only about 2 hours. I am very into raw food and use this juice daily all it contains is 1/2 bunch of celery, 1 apple, 1 lemon, two big handfulls of spinach and about an inch of fresh ginger root (peeled). The catch is you must use a juicer, it tastes great like the best lemonade you have ever had and it really gets your system going, I would start with only about 8 oz per day, drink it first thing in the morning and dont eat until it has settled and you are actually hungry. I am off all the perscriptions and doing much better than with the laxatives.
Unread 04-29-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm PO about 3mos and I periodically still take a stool softener and occassional Colace, if I haven't had a good "movement" after a couple days. Then I'm good to go for a while again.
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM

I am 11 weeks out and I also had major bowel work. About 3-4 weeks ago I switched to the Metamucil Fiber wafers, on my Dr's suggestion. I eat one pack a day and I was aboe to get off the Miralax by doing that. It has kept me very regular - daily even.

Starbgirl
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM

That tea sounds yummy - but I dont have a juicer and dont have plans to buy one. The Metamucil wavers should be a good addition to my diet. I've been adding Benefiber to my coffee and iced tea (nothing fancy - just green tea with lemon LOL).

Lambeau - I was wondering if my bowels would be "better" if my doc had been able to complete my surgery as a TVH rather than having to convert to the TAH. I guess the answer there is "probably not" - thank you for posting that.

Jenn - you're very welcome. 3 weeks for me was the start of the real turnaround. At week 4 I felt back to normal. During weeks 5 and 6 is when all my expectations were exceeded and when I became "better than new" ! Hang in there and don't push yourself to try and recover quicker. Take your time, take it easy, and have a wonderful recovery.
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
So Glad to Know I am Not the Only One

I had my TAH on Jan 10th and so glad to know that I am not the only one still suffering and I swear giving birth was easier than having some of these recent movements.

I am going to try the wafers and drink more water.

Other than the BM I feel fine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register