what do I need to ask the chemo dr? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what do I need to ask the chemo dr? what do I need to ask the chemo dr?

Unread 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM
what do I need to ask the chemo dr?

I have swollen lumph nodes,in my lower right side.I'm to see a chemo dr-this is the first visit with him.(scares the heck out of me,as I'm not a fighter.)Are there any question I should ask him about my problem?My mind has drawn a blank!This has to be the best site.Everyone is so helpful,I wish I could just give you all a great big hug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 08:12 PM

Hi Kierria

Well, I don't know what type of cancer or suspect cancer you have. You may want to find that out, along with stage, and grade if they know.

After that, find out what type of treatment they recommend. Take a note pad and a family member with you. A lot of times we don't remember what was said during appointments, and it is always good to have someone there with you - and a notepad to write the exact drug names and spellings down.

Also ask about what type of side effects are common, and if the doctor recommends any preventative medications or treatments to help ease side effects (especially nausea, constipation or diarrhea). The side effects depend on the drug and also depend on your body. If you find out what type of chemotherapy drug you may be on - let us know. Someone here has probably been on it and can offer advice.

You say you are not a fighter. What does that mean? I hope that you find the fight in you. Doctors do not pull us through cancer - we pull ourselves through. You need to get ready, and get strong to fight this because no one else can do it for you. I know you can do it - but YOU need to know that too.
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:42 PM

Kierra - you are so wise to check in with the more experienced ladies on this site. You're already showing that you're ready to put up a fight - good for you!!! Follow Wolfgang's advice and get more specific information and let us know what you find out - then we can be of more help once we have more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 12:46 AM

Kierra,

We can help you fight. The info you have already gotten here is a good start for you. At this point I think the most important you have received is to take that notebook and an extra pair of ears. If you have someone who can go with you that you trust to really listen and be agressive for you that is a great start. Even the toughest of us sometimes turn to jello when that dr walks into the room...at least I do. It is so hard to remember everything that has been said. Also jot down questions as you think of them when you go in.

Hugs to you,
Juanita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register