I didn't think my body would change this much | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I didn't think my body would change this much I didn't think my body would change this much

Unread 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I didn't think my body would change this much

Hey girls...I haven't been on here in a while. I need some advice. I had my hysterectomy about 1.5 years ago. well...my body is so different. I'm 35 and didn't think it would change this much. I gained about 12 pounds, I have a lot of cellulite and I just don't feel the same. My weight is mainly on my thighs and stomach. I know that's not a lot, but for me it is. I'm used to how I used to look and now I just feel so different. My doctor said something about that after hyst and even though i take premarin, that my body doesn't retain muscle like it used to. Does anyone know that if i took a testosterone supplement that it would help with that and maybe I would lose some of the cellulite, etc?.. I do try hard to eat right and exercise but it just doesn't seem to help. Anyone out there experience the same thing? wish i would have known this before my surgery so i could have at least been prepared.
thanks girls!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM

wow i feel alot of the same things!
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:44 PM

I am 5 months out from a TAH and I have to say that I no longer recognize my body from the waist down. Yes, it has changed. I have a roll now where there use to be just a bulge. It goes from hip to hip now and it's still numb. I feel like I grew a tire around my belly. I haven't gained much weight, but it's like a swollen fat roll. It feels weird to touch it because it was never there before. So you're not the only one who feels that their body got "reshaped" after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:34 AM

To answer your question about if the testosterone will help with cellulite, in my experience no. I have been on it for a year now, and I have cellulite that I did not have before, as well as I have gained a good chunk of weight. I am not sure what will help get rid of it, but if you find something let me know. Good luck on your search.
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:01 AM

With all the changes our bodies went through, the only way to combat this is to eat a healthier diet and exercise more. You simply have to work harder than you did when you were younger/pre-surgery. Once you cross the line into middle age changes (even medically induced ones), your body follows suit.

Here's a good article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1798

I've gone from 30 minutes daily exercise to 45-60. And this is intense working out, beyond a simple walk. So far, it's working. I'm a big fan of walking as an exercise, but as I get older, I have found I need to kick it into high gear to maintain. We also lose muscles at a much faster rate as we age so I do weight bearing exercises at least 3 days a week.
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDee2
I am 5 months out from a TAH and I have to say that I no longer recognize my body from the waist down. Yes, it has changed. I have a roll now where there use to be just a bulge. It goes from hip to hip now and it's still numb. I feel like I grew a tire around my belly. I haven't gained much weight, but it's like a swollen fat roll. It feels weird to touch it because it was never there before. So you're not the only one who feels that their body got "reshaped" after surgery.
Yep, me too - it's very annoying. I emailed my dr last week just to see if I should come in and be checked out again - was concerned because the roll is kind of like a water balloon and, still numb in places and sore to the touch. She said that was all normal and I should do crunches to help build the muscle. The soreness increased when I started exercising about a month ago (not very enthusiastically). I did gain at least 10 pds but I haven't been very careful about what I eat.
Unread 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM

My doc told me the roll thing was pretty much permanent. Great. But reading what some of you have said helps some. I'll try some of these things I've read on the other thread. Its nice to know I'm not in this alone, which is how I feel sometimes. I do exercise, but the rolly thing just will not go away.
Unread 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM

Ok every body needs to stop and realise that you have all had surgery - our bodies are trying to mend themselves and sometimes that takes the form of fluid retention, swelling, hormone hell, sweating etc. You can alleviate alot of the symptoms by drinking plenty of water - and I mean heaps and getting plenty of sleep and a little exercise, sometimes it can take up to 6 -12 months before your body has recovered back to normal. Be patient and don't try to over do the exercise as you may hurt yourself. I know its a shock to not fit your jeans or a change in our body look but I don't believe its gone forever, just give your body time to heal.
Unread 05-02-2008, 08:20 AM

the original question came from someone 1.5 years after the hyster so I answered accordingly.
Unread 05-02-2008, 09:25 AM

i am also 1.5 yrs out and i do see a difference for sure but i have also gained 20 lbs. i do notice that with exerciseing the weight is not coming off the way it used to and as far as muscle tone i am not as strong as i used to be.i have started testosterone about a month ago and think i see a bit of difference but not sure. i cant take any estrogen cause it bloats my belly up and if i get into exercising too much i get the swelly belly back.still working on it, hoping by the time i get to the 2 yr things should hopefully be back to normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register