Does CT Prep (Barium) result in constipation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does CT Prep (Barium) result in constipation? Does CT Prep (Barium) result in constipation?

Unread 04-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Does CT Prep (Barium) result in constipation?

I had a CT scan on Monday with ready-cat 2 and although it gave me the runs and gas that day I am now veyry uncomforatble and constipated. Is this normal?

I ate bran for breakfast yesterday and today, had colace last night and today at lunch - all to no avail - I am uncomfortable. Just ate a prune.

Any ideas? Do you think this is the CT Prep casuing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 04:22 PM

So far each time I have had a CT scan with barium (three times total, twice including rectal barium as well) I have had the opposite problem! Diarrhea until it all cleared out of my system! I would suggest drinking extra water and putting a call in to your doctor about what is going on. Are you using any pain medications right now? Those could be part of the problem!

in there! S
Unread 04-30-2008, 04:38 PM

No pain meds. I cannot call the dr until tomorrow as it is 6:30 pm. I had a small BM yesterday and a small one today - but this afernoon I became unclomfortable - I think I can feel it pressing on my pubic floor...as well is other areas of my belly.

The CT scan cam back as No Bowel obstruction...then two days later I feel like this! Sheesh - you cant win for losing....

Jax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 05:09 PM

When I had my CT scan, I had a lot of gas and some diarrhea. The tech told me to drink lots of water, which probably helped "moved things along."
Unread 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM

After CT had the opposite, then took Immodium. Then constipated, sometimes you can never win.
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM

I was told by the tech that Barium can really make you constipated if you are prone to that. Drink lots of water it is supposed to help move it through your system! I had that problem with a bad tummy ache afterwards!
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:21 PM

I wish someone had told me...it's now 2.5 days since I drank the stufff - will water help now?

I ate some beans and a vege burger and some prunes and a colace....I hope something helps me here! Drinking water now but amconcerned it is too late...

jax
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM

have you used any laxatives?
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:47 PM

No - I was scared to as I have been using the Colace Stool softeners.

I did have a very small bm yesterday and today...but not enough and so I am uncomfortable and it seems to be casuing a little pain. Of course - every little twinge and pain i have frightens me - I am such a wuss.

jax
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Oh you poor thing! I have to take a little square of "chocolate" exlax just to be human. You won't explode, but it might help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register