Whooshing sound in my ears???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Whooshing sound in my ears???? Whooshing sound in my ears????

Unread 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Whooshing sound in my ears????

Hey! Ever since my surgery, 4/14 TAH, I have had this loud whooshing sound in my ears...it drives me crazy...at times it is so loud and persistent that I have trouble sleeping...I told my DR and they gave me sleeping pills...is this just a side effect of the surgery? I have had surgeries before and never had this. I did research here and it said it could be early menopause or anemia, even. I was just curious to see if anyone had this same side effect and what the heck to do about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Are you still taking narcotic pain med's? I've heard that they can do that sometimes. That's only thing I can think of. Vicodin makes my ears feel weird, so I never take that.
Unread 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the response...no I am not still taking narcotic pain meds...I have been off of them for a week now...it does seem to be lessening, though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM

I had the same and found that it was too much Iburofen so I backed down to 400mg instead of 800mg and the sounds diminished.
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:17 AM

I have had the same problem. It kind of reminds me of someone swinging a lasso around in my ears. I just figured it was from the medication or another effect from the anesthesia. Have you had your blood pressure checked? Let me know if you find anything to relieve it.
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:17 AM

OMG!!! I have been experiencing the same thing. My first night home from the castle I told my husband something was under the mattress breathing. A couple of days later I described it as the sound from the OB monitor when checking a fetus heartbeat.
It has subsided for me but I did hear it again this morning..briefly. I have not been on any pain meds (incl over the counter) for almost 2 weeks. I was wondering if it had anything to do with my low blood count or my low potassium levels. I found out my thyroid levels are very low too.
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:26 AM

I have a low blood count also, but my thyroid seems to check out okay. I'm not sure about my potassium, but it's worth looking into. Thanks for the heads up. Have you passed anything through your vagina? I know the doctor said I would probably pass some stitches (which he said would look like little spiders, but I haven't seen any yet. Today while trying to use the bathroom (BM), I did pass a little clump of pinkish stuff that looked like fatty tissue or something. It kind of freaked me out, but I haven't had any red bleeding or anything, so I'm hoping it's alright. I just wonder if that's to be expected? Did your doc say anything about what you could possible pass or what to look for as warning signs? Thanks for any advice.

Melody
Unread 05-01-2008, 05:31 PM

No, he didn't mention anything and I haven't had any discharge since day 2 in the hospital.
Unread 05-01-2008, 05:52 PM

I had ringing in the ears for at least 4 weeks post op. I'm still not sure if it was the pain meds or combination of factors, but it was really anoying at the time. I remember reading somewhere that any medication that causes blood thinning can cause ringing or other bothersome auditory stuff.....
Unread 05-01-2008, 07:53 PM

I had the same thing and was told it was due to the anesthesia, pain meds, etc. I didn't realize it was happening at first...I asked my husband if someone was drilling in our neighborhood or something and he looked at me funny and then I told him what I was hearing and he said it "was in my head"...he wasn't being mean...it just was true. It is funny, I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread just now...I could literally hear my heart beating! But it has all gone away now. Probably has been gone for 1 1/2 wks and I had my surgery on 4/7/08.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register