MD Anderson? Should I choose it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

MD Anderson?  Should I choose it? MD Anderson? Should I choose it?

Unread 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
MD Anderson? Should I choose it?

Hey girls--

I would love a little input if anyone has chosen to be treated at MD Anderson in Houston. I just can't decide if it is worth it to make the treatment happen there.

I have been diagnosed w/ colon (rectal) cancer and have been recommended to have the lynch testing as I am young. Also still dealing w/ a thickened endometrium, hoping that is not another primary cancer.

We have a good center here, but not the "team approach" that md anderson is known for. I would welcome any input.

Thanks--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 10:31 PM

You read my mind!! I was going to post this question, but couldn't remember if it was ok to ask about certain hospitals or not!

I'm a few hours from Houston and was thinking of going there to get a 2nd (or is it 3rd?) opinion. I like my gyn/onc's treatment plan, but figure it wouldn't hurt anything to go to MDAnderson and have them look at everything, too.

I have endocervical adenocarcinoma Ia1.

I vote you get checked out by MDA.
Unread 05-01-2008, 03:24 AM

Beachlover:
How did they find the colon cancer? Sorry about your dx.. Normal colonoscopy or were they doing an internal looking at the endometrium?
Best wishes in whatever you decide for treatment and facility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattieO
Beachlover:
How did they find the colon cancer? Sorry about your dx.. Normal colonoscopy or were they doing an internal looking at the endometrium?
Best wishes in whatever you decide for treatment and facility.
While waiting for a followup transvag for complex ovarian cyst, I developed blood in my stool. Quickly got in for a colonoscopy and found it. It has been a whirlwind, but yet as slow as christmas.
Unread 05-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Hi beachloversis,
I know there are women who have been treated at MD Anderson here and I hope they will come along soon. If you believe you would feel more confident having treatment there, perhaps you could begin by contacting them and advising of your case. They could then begin by obtaining your current records, test results, etc. to give you some feedback re the approach they'd take. You'll also probably want to check things out with your insurance so they're are on board with these plans too.
Pls let us know how things go.
s
Unread 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM

Beachloversis,
I was called after my hysterectomy by my insurance company telling me I should go to MD anderson. They said with a diagnosis of cancer I should get the best treatment around & they sent me the info. I read up on MD Anderson and looks like their followup/treatment for my stage of endometrial cancer would be the same. I have been very happy with my doctor and the care at the hospital so I decided for now that driving 4 hours for care is not right for me. I have gone in a few times, not my regularly scheduled visits, for things that concerned me and was worked in the same day. I have a colonoscopy scheduled & all tests are done within the hospital so nothing is overlooked. If given the option in the beginning to have md anderson do the surgery, I may have considered it but not sure how I would deal with the 4 hour trip each time I had to be checked or have tests done.
Unread 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM

I too live a 4 hour drive from Houston. Dallas is actually closer, but the only gyn/onc I could find who would offer me the DaVinci surgery was in Houston.

I did contact MD Anderson and their treatment plan is the same that my gyn/onc offered.

Also, my gyn/onc did a fellowship at MD Anderson..so I felt comfortable staying with her.

Keep in mind, if you do choose to go to Anderson, you'll be seen by bunches of residents (doctors who have finished med school but not yet in private practice) and medical students as well as attending physicians (the instructors).
Unread 05-03-2008, 06:40 PM

After two surgeries and almost 2 years of chemo, and pretty much thinking that I was coming to the end of my options, I asked my oncologist if I should go to Vanderbilt (which is 2 hours away from me in Tennessee) or M D Anderson. He said at Anderson there are more doctors there to review my case. He wasn't putting down Vanderbilt by any means, but just wanted me to have the best chance possible. Houston was 12 hours away so we had to stay in an apartment while I was treated with IMRT radiation. I have been cancer-free ever since. That's just my experience, every case is different. Good luck to you in making your decision.

Blessings,
Unread 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM

MD Anderson is a premier cancer hospital. I went there for 18 months back in the early 80's when they first thought I had ovarian cancer (turned out it was a series of cysts that kept cropping up and going away in the same location). My gyc-onc also did a fellowship there. I would recommend it, although they don't have the DaVinci robot yet.
Marburg
Unread 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Marburg, are you sure they don't have the robot? I really thought they did.

http://www2.mdanderson.org/depts/onc...t/10-06-1.html

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register