slow recovery and feelings of sadness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

slow recovery and feelings of sadness slow recovery and feelings of sadness

Unread 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
slow recovery and feelings of sadness

I have never posted on a thread before, but I am so very sad after my hysterectomy and you ladies ( princesses) are so kind. I had a total hyst DaVinci method on April 8, and my recovery seems so slow. I have had lots of pain, and now major swelly belly. I am size 6 and now can't zip size 8 jeans. I live in a nightgown!!! After the surgery I felt so butchered, and having checkups with pregnant women my age (37) near me left me in tears. I am blessed with 3 kiddos, 2 by birth and 1 by marriage yet the finality of the surgery is hard, also the body changes and pain. I am still needing pain meds at times, and exhausted. I guess I am writing for support, I don't want to whine to my friends, most would not understand. I also have fibromyalgia and interstitial cystitis, so I know that complicates it.

Please, can anyone offer support who has "been there"? How long does the sadness and weepy feeling last?! I am never this way! Thank you for your help! "mandaherz"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM

Hi Mandaherz,

I'm 50, and I was saddened by the finality of the surgery, too. I found that the swelling goes down slowly, then comes back, then goes again (although my surgery was done by a different method). By the same token, I might have a lot of energy one day and very little the next. I'm at about 8 weeks now, but I can tell that I'm still healing.

You don't mention whether you're moving around and walking, but that seems to help (as long as your doctor okayed it). I have also recently found that lots of water helps - eight measuring cups, and measure it out to be sure you're really getting that much.

For me, the sadness lasted until I started taking St. John's Wort. It is much better now, and I almost feel normal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Margaret
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM

Sweetheart, I'm right there with you. I had my surgery on 3/28, my tummy is still swollen, I still have pain, and I am either angry or sad almost all the time. I thought I'd be happy, since my pathology proved that I am cancer free, but I am miserable. And even though I know that its OK to be miserable for now, because I, like you, have just been through a major surgery, it still feels really awful right now. The physical and emotional difficulties are absolutely understandable, and I know that they will eventually get better. I am giving myself the gift of time to heal and patience with my emotions. Please know that you are not alone, and that there are many, including me, who understand and sympathize. Hugs to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2008, 09:55 PM

hey girl! you are not alone - we are all here for you. i had a very hard time dealing with the sadness and weepiness as well. i am almost 5 weeks post op and this is the first week i haven't cried. i am 40, have two DS's and was done having kids, but now it is so final and i think that is what kept me in tears. no more choice. i agree that it is hard to talk to your friends about it b/c they just don't have a clue as to what you are enduring with this recovery.

to give you something to look forward to...once i started going back to a more normal routine (ie...getting out of my jammies) my outlook started to get a tiny bit brighter. i was on complete bedrest for 3 weeks due to some complications and the longer i laid there, the worse my depression became. now that i am allowed to be up and about, my mood is definitely brightening. don't get me wrong, i still have moments of pity, sadness, anger and exhaustion, but they are starting to be outweighed now by the smiles brought on by being around others and getting back to my life as i used to know it.

as for the swelly belly, still have it to some extent BUT i am back in my jeans now...now that i am able to get out and walk. i have found that drinking water by the gallons during the day has greatly helped with the belly. i also notice that it is much worse in the evening or if i have pushed it too hard.

so, if you have any more questions or doubts or worries, please let us know! we are here for you!
Unread 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM

Both of you ladies brought tears to my eyes, thank you so much for your kindness. I think that because my health problems are so chronic and take over my life, I don't want people I know to think that I am gripey and complaining! So I try to smile and minimize things. Support from other hystersisters is such a blessing to me.
How much " walking" is advised right now? I had a hard time even before surgery, chronic fatigue going along with my fibromyalgia. Maybe I need to walk to the mall for mumus to accomodate my belly! Hee hee.
Unread 04-30-2008, 10:13 PM

my doc suggested starting out slow - just a driveway or two - and then build up. your body will tell you when you are overdoing it. i would feel my belly start to tighten in spasm and i knew i had gone to far. i am just now at about a mile and a half. i am normally very fit - i'm a karate instructor - so this has really thrown me for a loop. walking does make me feel really good - like i am taking hold of my health again.

this is such a hard time for all of us and thank God we have this website and each other to help get through it!
Unread 05-01-2008, 06:54 AM

I also suffered all of the above, I am a slow healer to due to other illnesses and meds which made me take longer to recover . I went through anger, frustration, depression even though I had my tubes cut and tied almost 10 years ago plus now through menopause before it was still a depressing thought that no more children.

We are here for you, I was so happy when I found this site right after my hysterectomy it sure has helped me through alot.
Unread 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Walking and Sunlight Helps!

Mandaherz, I have dealt with depression for years so I was concerned about post-op depression. I am 5 weeks post-op today. I have been walking as much as possible since day 1. At first it was just down the hallway and back. By the end of the first week, I was walking around Wal-Mart but had to sit and take a break often. Since the weather has improved here, I have walked at the park about 1/2 a mile. Not only does the walking help, but the fresh air and sunlight helps. Your body needs sunlight. Do a search for Seasonal Affective Disorder to see what I mean by that. I have had some nausea and vomiting for the last few days and haven't gotten to get out and it has definately affected my mood. I'm going to try to get out today because my energy level has also dropped. I've found that walking increases my energy. I've been laying around more the last few days and I'm actually having more aches and pains than I did when I was moving about more. I'm not a very active person so I can't walk as far as someone who was more active before surgery. Hopefully this helps you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register