Post-op 6 days and feeling pretty good! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op 6 days and feeling pretty good! Post-op 6 days and feeling pretty good!

Unread 05-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Post-op 6 days and feeling pretty good!

I found out a little over three weeks ago that I had a 17cm x 9 cm tumor on my right ovary that had to come out. I saw and Oncologist a few days after the results of the CT scan/sonogram and he scheduled a surgery. He said that he may have to do an exploratory during surgery if it looked like cancer so I opted for the "vertical" incision to avoid two incisions. During the surgery he found out that the tumor was not connected to my ovary at all but was wrapped around my uterus so he had to do a hysterectomy. I was fine with the fact that I had the hysterectomy as the thought of the tumor inside of me was scarier than anything. He was (gratefully) able to save my ovaries. I will find out the results of the testing on the tumor next week so until then I am nervous.
My stay at the hospital was two nights and I begged to leave on the third day because of the poor treatment I received. I could not urinate for over 16 hours and they pretty much left me in agony along with the gas that occurs. Finally, at 1:30 in the morning after begging for it they emptied my bladder - over 1,000 ccs of urine were collected! When I was discharged the next day, I would have ran out of that hospital if I could!!! I have been doing better each day and I think that once the staples are out (a week from today - May 12th) I will be on my way to a speedy recovery.
I think that the best advice that I can give anyone after my experience is have someone at the hospital with you that will fight your battles and make sure that you are receiving the care that you need. The next best advice I can give.... be sure to have something in the hospital with you to take for the gas (it is extremely painful) as they will not offer anything. Baking soda and water, gas strips, pills, etc.... take them the minute you wake up if you can.
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Post-op 6 days and feeling pretty good!

Waiting is always the worst part of any situation. So sorry that you had a nightmare time in the hospital. I know the worst part for me was the catheter. I begged and begged to have it taken out because the balloon was laying on a spot that just gave me the urge to go. Nurses wouldn't even call dr about it. Trying to sleep, even with the pain meds, was very uncomfortable. Finally at 3 am, 13 hours later, a nurse was nice enough to take it out, saying it was close enough to time dr wanted it out. I was able to sleep straight thru til 8 am. Of course I was pretty ticked off when dr told me that she would've let them take it out a lot sooner if they would've only called.

I took Gas-X with me and put it close by. My first nurse had me pack it back in my bag because dr had already ordered Simethicone to be given every 4 hours. I did sneak one out though. I made the mistake of taking my Metformin, which can cause gas when not eating properly, and being on a liquid diet. Next morning, I was smart enough to refuse the Met.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register