Self Catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Self Catheter Self Catheter

Unread 05-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Self Catheter

Has anyone had a TVT with their hysterectomy and had issues urninating afterwards? I've had catheters in and out over the last week, but cannot completely empty my bladder on my own. I have to go back to the doctor's office tomorrow to learn how to self catheter and retrain my bladder. Has anyone had to do that? Was it successful? How long did it take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Self Catheter

Hi there,
I had a bladder sling put during my hyst 2 years ago and boy did I ever have problems for awhile. I retained too much urine and given the option of wearing a bag or learning how to catheterize myself, I chose the catheter. It is an awkward thing to do to yourself but with patience, lube and a mirror it can be done. I had to do it about 3 weeks after my hyst and again for a week after my oopherectomy the following year. For some reason that surgery made my bladder act up again.

However, now that another year has passed, I do pretty well unless I hold it too long. Then it's a pain to pee and takes a long time. But eons better than peeing my pants.

Good luck!!
Unread 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Self Catheter

I didn't have to do it after my hysterectomy BUT I had to do it for about a month while pregnant. It is fairly easy. I mainly had to do it in the middle of the night, because I wouldn't be able to pee then. I could pee a little during the day, but at night I couldn't pee at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Self Catheter

Thank you both for your responses. I just honestly didn't think it would be an easy thing to do. Seems too contortionist, however, if someone who is pregnant was able to do it at night yet, I feel a bit better. Also feel better to know someone else had this issue with the sling. I was feeling pretty hopeless and alone with this issue. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Unread 05-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Self Catheter

Just make sure you use lube! I forgot to add that. I also had a nice big mirror and would just sit on the floor. That was the easiest way I found.
Unread 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Self Catheter

Thanks for the suggestion of sitting on the floor. I actually had my doc appt this morning to learn how to do it and had some difficulty finding a position that made it easy for me to find the right spot, plus handle the mirror, cath and 'top hat' that I need to drain into. I just feel like I need an extra hand or two. I did find a mirror that is on a swivel platform that will hopefully help. I haven't done it at home yet, but will in the next few hours. Hopefully successfully!

I agree, the lube sounds like it is critical! Thanks!
Unread 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Self Catheter

my sister did this and we discussed it just before my surgery (she was preparing me in case).
She had to do it so often she actually got where she could do it by feel she said.
Good luck and hopefully things will get easier and to the point you dont have to do it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register