4 mths post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 mths post-op 4 mths post-op

Unread 07-29-2001, 01:28 PM
4 mths post-op

I don't know how many of you are at least 4 mths post-op, but would appreciate an answer if you are. I know the music lady will have an answer!

I feel great. BUT... I get soooo tired or sleepy. I guess I should be happy that I can sleep now. It was tough before the Hyst. I either had to pee or my stomach was crampy or my back hurt, all night long. How long does the tiredness last. I'm usally good most of the day. Afternoons I go downhill. I don't exhert myself too much. I get a good nights rest. I take vitamins. I'm on the climara patch. I do mild exercises. I have gained a few (3-4) pounds. Mostly in my stomach. I have always been an avid exerciser, but can't do nearly what I use to in the ab area. Do the stomachs ever get as strong as they were before. I had a TAH. I don't think it will ever be the same. BUT...... feeling so much better outweighs that prob!!!! I'm really concerned about the tiredness. Anybody have an answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2001, 02:13 PM
4 mths post-op

I'm only 6 weeks post op. But I asked a friend how long it toook her to get her energy back and she told me one year. But again we are all different. So I hope I might have helped a little.
Karen T
Unread 07-29-2001, 02:41 PM
4 mths post-op

Hi, I'll be 21 weeks post op this Tuesday. I really got over being tired pretty quickly, but I really didn't do anything but rest and walk. (I still haven't run the sweeper yet, I might start again in say, another month, hehehe). I did find out though, as a routine check up that my hemoglobin was terribly low, and the Dr. put me on very high (375 mg.) doses of iron for 6 weeks. I've just had it rechecked and it is now fine. I've never had a low count before, but I was surprised that I wasn't really tired from it. That could be an area for you to discuss with your Dr. I am feeling great though. I can mow grass, clean house, (except the sweeper), and carry on as I did before surgery. I have even just returned from a 9 day vacation where we walked all over Charleston, SC, and Gatlinburg, TN. I've never felt better. Just don't forget to rest. Your body is trying to tell you it's needing a little more time to recoup. Don't try to win any healing races just yet. You'll know when you feel better. It will just suddenly seem better. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2001, 04:25 PM
Did someone mention my name? :)

Hi Cindy,

It was at least 4 months before I even began to feel like myself again, and the energy level was just then starting to come back. I didn't feel totally recovered until I had finished 8 months post-op. There might have still been a little healing going on. A gyn as stated that it takes from 6 months to a year to TOTALLY heal from this surgery.

Our hostess "fitbug" is a personal trainer. She made a point of not rushing into strenuous exercise until a year after her surgery so that she would be totally healed and not set herself back. I'm hoping she will check in here.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 07-29-2001, 04:31 PM
4 mths post-op

I just wanted to say I agree with Linda (as usual!). At 4 months after my TAH, I was still experience MUCH more fatigue than I had expected.

I guess I thought since I was in 28, and in good physical condition, when I had my surgery, that I would be back to "normal" by 2 or three months. WRONG!

It really did take me about 6 - 7 months to get my previous energy level back.

Hang in there, and keep taking care of yourself!
Unread 07-29-2001, 04:54 PM
4 mths post-op

Cindy - I had tah/bso March 2000 and exhaustion/tiredness stuck around the longest..but yes, my energy level finally got back to normal. Can't remember exactly when but it was around the 7th month (I think). Continue to rest when you're tired...your body is still adjusting to major trauma. Remember it can take 1 year to heal completely. More each week...but it's a slow process.
Unread 07-29-2001, 07:21 PM
4 mths post-op

Time is the answer Cindy.
Be patient with yourself. It will come to you when you are ready for it. Be grateful for the health you now have.

Your abdominal will gain strength as you do. Mine are stronger than they have ever been. Keep trying to hold it in tight most of the day. Please look at my fitness page about abdominals and see if it gives you some insight to strengthening your abdominal. There is a link to my pages in my signature.

Give yourself more time to heal than you want. It will pay off in the end! Never resist a temporary inconvenience if it results in a permanent improvement. HelenM

Blessings<><
Unread 07-30-2001, 01:08 PM
4 mths post-op

Thanks Ladies, apparently I am expecting too much too soon. I needed that lift from all of you and the confirmation. I have really done well. I am, for all purposes, back to normal, and have been since about 2 months post-op, so I guess I should be thankful. I appreciate ya'll coming to my rescue. I guess I'll rest a little more, keep doing mild exercises and crunches. You know how it is, once you get up and look and act normal, everyone assumes you are totally well. I guess they even convinced me!!!!! I'll be waiting for that 6-12 month period and see if I can tell a difference. I've always been pretty thin and active and had very strong stomach muscles, so this gaining weight, tired, with a stomach I can't rid of, is bringing me down. BUT........ with your encouragement, I"LL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 07-30-2001, 01:14 PM
4 mths post-op

Hi Cindy,

I'm so glad you're encouraged. Most people wouldn't have a clue as to how long it can take to get back after this surgery. Believe me, you're in GOOD company here!

My very best to you...

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register