Abdominal hysterectomy scheduled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal hysterectomy scheduled Abdominal hysterectomy scheduled

Unread 05-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Abdominal hysterectomy scheduled

Hello to all - I'm new so I'm still looking around site for answers. Live in a small town, and doc wants to do this abdominally. I understand a much longer healing/recovery time? Would love to hear any replies, good/bad/indifferent. Thanks. And...dumb as this sounds, not sure how much is being taken out. Want to read more about the cervix being included, etc. Good day to all. BG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey bgwhirlwind. It is great to see you on the site. You will get alot of encouragement and information so you can make a good decision. I had an Abdominal Hyster on April 7 and am doing really good I think. I still can't stand all day, etc. Have not spotted at all, not even one little bit, although I have had my ovaries removed also. I have seen women on this site with Vag. Hyster that are still recovering, etc. I had an abdominal so my dr could look around. Was in the emergency room in Feb thinking I had appedicidis, but they said no. I already had fibroids, cysts on ovaries and cervix so my doc said lets go take all that out and I will have a better look at appendix, come to find out there were only remnants of the appendix.....emergency room oooppps I guess. Anyway, the Lord allowed me to still be here and recovery well. Hope your hyster goes well, whichever one you choose! Welcome again to the site
Unread 05-08-2008, 06:30 PM

Hey FF:
Thanks for replying! How long in the hospital? How sore afterwards, are stairs a no no? I'm new, I'm sure I'll find some of these answers. Confused on differetiating between open abd surgeries and acronyms used by others.
I love that particular verse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM

Hello bgwhirlwind88 and

We’re happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond! The acronyms used on the site for the various types of surgery are listed on the Pre-Op Checkpoints page.

You can take the opportunity to prepare yourself for what’s ahead by reading the Pre-Op Articles. Through the years, hundreds of women have shared their personal suggestions in Hints for Your Hysterectomy that you may also want to peruse. You will find stories from hundreds of women who had abdominal surgeries there -- just look for TAH in the thread title.

As you can see from my signature, I had an abdominal hysterectomy. I spent three days in the hospital which seems to be about average.

Best wishes as you prepare for your trip to the Castle!
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Hi bgwhirlwind,

I am scheduled for a total abdominal hyst (TAH) on June 23rd. My dr. needs to be able to check around, do some tacking up if need be, etc. My situation is that my uterus is about twice normal size due to fibroids, etc., and is causing pressure on the bladder and rectum. My dr. needs to be sure that I am not prolapsing and she also needs to take a good look at my ovaries to see if they are healthy enough to be left behind. I am 41 and don't want to go into menapause before I would naturally, so...

The only thing I have experienced prior would be a c-section so I have an idea of what I am in for. Although some on the boards say its easier, some say its harder. Regardless, I have experienced not being able to use my abs in the past which gives me a good idea of what it will be like post op. My experiences was that it was pretty hard the first week or so and I had a terrible time with gas and constipation. Suffered badly. Then I was up and doing way too much way too soon and was lucky I didn't end up back in the hospital. Part of my problem now is scar tissue due to not healing properly. Anyway...

Definitely take the time to review and question your dr. Get second, third and fourth opinions if you can. Do whatever it takes to make you comfortable with the decisioins being made. :smilie5:

Glad to have you and look around on the site. There is a ton of great information and support.

{{{Hugs}}} to you!!
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:20 PM

Hi BC
Thanks for quick reply. This is so cool. I'm supposed to be studying for a test tomorrow, but am sooooo glad to read and learn! Too expensive for other opinions, but I have a trust for this doctor, just trying to make a decision about keeping the cervix or not. Good day, love your quote.
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:32 PM

I understand about the cost. I am losing insurance and having to cobra just to have the surgery. Time didn't allow me too much opportunity for other opinions either. But like you, I have a trust for my dr. and know it is the right decision. Good luck and I look forward to reading about your fast, pain free recovery!!!
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:43 PM

I can't get off this site....so much stuff to read, I love it
I know the more I read I'll know, but would you like to give me your own personal tips for a safe recovery?
I read so much about how bad your belly hurts and I guess, even though it hurts, you still have to use it, slowly.
Feel free to share anything with me.
I do have one more question, I am not sexually active right now, but I wonder about the cervix and it's part in pleasure and whether to keep mine or not. Have any thoughts on that? If too personal, I understand. Have a good night!
Unread 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM

Hi BG!
I had a subtotal hysterectomy april 22. The dr removed a large fibroid and my uterus and a fallopian tub. I was able to keep my cervix and ovaries as they were healthy enough ( didnt see the need to remove anything else that didnt need be). I was in the hospital for 3 days, was given two pints of blood, was on moriphine IV for two days and then was given percacet ( i am sure I mis spelled this word!) for the pain. I am taking things very slowly as there is no rush (off work for 6 weeks) walk a few minutes outside everyday and drink alot of water. I haven't taken any pain meds since I have been home (one day did take 2 alieve). I have had no spotting (thank god) and I can sleep on my side.
Pooping is the had thing for me, that really hurts my tender belly!!! and the best piece of advice i can give you? Do not drink a coke or pepsi! I did and while it tasted great, it damm near killed me with gas pains....stick with water and juice.
this is a great site isn't it? best of luck to you!!
Unread 05-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Hi and

I love this site too...

I had an abdominal surgery in march and had everything taken out except cervix...I was a good candidate to keep it since I had good pap smears and didnt have cancer in the family....and besides it was in good shape, so why take it out...also the recovery time is less.

I was one night in the hospital, and my incision is about 6-8 inches long, the first two weeks your belly is very tender and swollen,and hurts, but nothing that pain killers wont help. about stairs is best to ask your doctors, you can ask all questions you have at the pre-op I would suggest writing them down, so as to not to forget to ask....

good luck with your search and decision making.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register