Curious about cervical cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Curious about cervical cancer Curious about cervical cancer

Unread 05-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Curious about cervical cancer

I don't know if this the right place to post this but I have a question or two about cervical cancer. First off is it genetic? No doctor will tell me, they just say that I need to get checked every 6 months instead of every year. My mom and my sister both had cervical cancer and wound up having a hyst by 30. However, he did not take my cervix or my ovaries. He said that it was an unecessary issue. We can always go back later and take it then. Wouldn't it have been wiser to go ahead and deal with it now when we were in there? I have only had one abnormal pap and then it came back clear on the recheck but still I am worried about this issue. I don't if any of you can answer these but like I said no doctor will give me a straight answer. Thank you for your help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 04:37 AM

I cant say if it does run in the blood, but I can say that I am have mine out because of a family history of that type of Cancer (aunt and grandmother), and my GYN agrees that its better to have it out while she is in there, then have the risk later down the road and have it missed (my aunt was days away from it hitting stage 4 when it was caught).
Unread 05-10-2008, 08:41 AM

Shele, I'll see if I can help you. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Cervical cancer is caused (greater than 99%) by the HPV virus. It is not genetic (ovarian cancer has a genetic component).

What was your diagnosis prior to your hysterectomy? Did you ever see your pathology reports? Do you know what your cancer stage was?

I don't understand something though. It sounds like you had cervical cancer, but your doctor left your cervix. Do you know why he did that?

I have endocervical adenocarcinoma Ia1. I will have a LAVH on June 18th. The doctor will leave my tubes, ovaries, and lymph nodes.

Please write if you have further questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM

as peaceful storm said in her posting, cervical cancer is not genetic. it's caused by the hpv virus (except for rare cancers in .2% of the cases of cervical cancer). of course, most women who have hpv do not develop cancer (and, 80% of women will have hpv by the time they're 50 years old). that said, there is a statistical trend towards female family members developing cervical cancer and that is attributable to the way in which their bodies handle an hpv infection. in other words, their immune systems respond (or don't respond) in similar ways. if you had an abnormal pap in the past, it may or may not have been caused by an hpv infection; perhaps you can take a look at your past medical records. remember that once you have hpv, it's with you always, regardless of treatments or surgeries, and it can become activated again. that's why continuing paps (and hpv testing) is so important (even once one's cervix is removed).
Unread 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM

The doc did a biopsy of my uterus and that came back normal after my hyst, and my abnormal pap came back a few years ago. They never diagnosed me with cancer thank goodness. My hyst was due to endometriosis and heavy bleeding and cramping. We are talking I would have my pd. all year round and then it would be every hour changing my pad. (the overnight ones). So I was just wondering if this is something that I needed to worry about or not. My mom was a stripper and my sis is a very heavy drug user so I am sure their lifestyle was the source. I guess you could say I learned from their mistakes and did not live that kind of lifestyle. My issues stemmed from me having a miscarriage and not knowing. I thought the cramping was from the beating I had gotten at the time. My now husband took me in to find out the issues and that was the cause. So I pray and hope that hpv did not find its way here. I know my bfs all had cheated on me with other women and more than one so I don't know for sure. I guess I will go with what my ob says and we will wait and see. Thank you for your responses.
Unread 05-11-2008, 07:21 AM

shele, having hpv is not an indicator of a lifestyle, and most women have hpv. anyone who has had a sexual experience can have hpv. more partners increase that risk statistically, but many of us know that it takes just one. most women have hpv.....so if you look around at a group of women, know that 8 out of 10 have the virus.
Unread 05-11-2008, 02:14 PM

I apologize if that came out wrong. That was not my intention to offend. I just know that my mom and my sister lived a very promiscuous (sp) lifestyle. I do not think in any way that anyone who has hpv is that type of person. I know that I could be one with hpv and not even know it. I once again am sorry. I am going to talk to my fam. doc about this and get her opinion about what she thinks, and go from there. Thank you all for you responses and understanding.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register