Has anyone else asked for their surgery report - and read it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else asked for their surgery report - and read it? Has anyone else asked for their surgery report - and read it?

Unread 05-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Has anyone else asked for their surgery report - and read it?

It may help that I've got some background in allied health care (and am also a big geek when it comes to anatomy and physiology) but that report made for some interesting reading.

It was really nice to know *exactly* what was causing my pain and why. And nice to know that I won't have it anymore.

Also - it helps if you maintain your own medical records collection. One thing that helped my surgeon make the decision as quickly as she did, is I was able to get her records from a surgery for an ectopic pregnancy I had in 1999.

I had this surgery in another state and haven't lived there in 9 years.

I provided her all of my records since I moved to this state - which helped her document that I'd been complaining of pain for a long time, but the real details were in my surgical records from 1999.

Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 11:34 AM

I didn't ask for mine but I'd like to have a copy of it and read over it. I think it would be really interesting to read.
Unread 05-10-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm planning to ask for a copy of mine at my post-op on May 22, especially since I got EOBs from two pathologists this week that I didn't know about. The plan was not to biopsy anything unless something looked weird. She said usually they can tell right off the bat. So I definitely want to know what changed there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2008, 12:57 PM

I got and read mine - one thing cracked me up. The surgeon listed all the things to be corrected and said I had a "huge" cystocele. It just didn't sound like the usual medical jargon and humanized my dr. a bit!
Unread 05-10-2008, 01:41 PM

I got my surgery report yesterday and read it over. YUCK! Thank God for anesthesia!

One thing I was glad about was that they counted the instruments twice before closing the incision!

They said my uterus was a " grossly abnormal-appearing enlarged uterus". And my incision was "unremarkable" on the date of discharge.

I did find it very interesting reading, though.
Unread 05-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. I had a disposable camera brought into the surgery and one of the attendants took a picture of my uterus after they took it out. They placed a couple surgical instruments next to it for a reference to its size.

My mother wanted to see those photos!
Unread 05-10-2008, 02:00 PM

I did. I think medical stuff is cool, and I wanted to see what mine said.

Then I read it and got angry. My surgeon shared NO information with me about the surgery. I read the report 2 weeks later when I got it from my primary care doc and the surgeon had done a couple of extra procedures, including a hernia repair that I should have been aware of so that I could have taken better care of it. I now have a nice lump where that repair was because I didn't keep the binder on and it healed funny because it didn't have the support. I didn't keep the binder on because I thought it was for incision support and not a hernia repair, and my incision was fine after the first week that I was home. grumble grumble

The surgeon also put a few personal comments about me in the surgical report that upset me enough to change doctors. He may be a gifted surgeon, and that was important to me going into surgery, but his surgical report, along with his bedside manner, aftercare, and all that left a lot to be desired. He has no respect for his patients, and I can't trust someone that has no respect for my wishes. I kind of had a sense of that going into it, but fortunately my gyne was his assistant in the surgery, and she promised to be my advocate while I was in there. Having her there was the only reason I allowed him as my surgeon.

Ladies, get a copy of your surgical report, and your pathological report.

I wasn't told that I had adenomyosis or that my ovaries were filled with cysts either. That explained a lot of what I was feeling for a few years before I had the bleeding from the cancer that led to the surgery. I wasn't crazy, my periods really were getting worse for a reason.

Both reports give different information that you might not get from your doctor, and if you change doctors like I did it really is helpful not to have to go back and get them.
Unread 05-10-2008, 02:34 PM

sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but whom do you talk to about requesting your report? My primary care dr or the dr that actually did the surgery?
Thanks a million-hope everyone has a great day!!
Unread 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasisters
sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but whom do you talk to about requesting your report? My primary care dr or the dr that actually did the surgery?
Thanks a million-hope everyone has a great day!!
Your primary care dr. should have a copy of it in your complete medical record!

So ask them, because if they don't, plus your pathology, they need it.

ADP
Unread 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks a bunch. I will be sure to put in a call to my primary care dr on Monday (since I don't have much else to do)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register