What's the correct balance of rest &activity? How did you pass the time? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's the correct balance of rest &activity? How did you pass the time? What's the correct balance of rest &activity? How did you pass the time?

Unread 05-11-2008, 01:09 PM
What's the correct balance of rest &activity? How did you pass the time?

Get lots of rest, get up and walk, don't over do it, pamperyourself, don't bend, don't lift, don't push, don't pull, don't do laundry,sweep,mop,vacuum,sit too long, lay in bed all day, do too much, ......you can stress the stitches, both inside and out, you will make your swellybelly worse, you need to stimulate your GI tract...
SO MANY DOs & DON'Ts....it's good for you AND bad for you...
Where is the line drawn for bedrest/activity, what did you all do to pass the day, It seems I can only pace around the house like an animal in a cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2008, 10:30 PM

I have been laying in bed reading books and magazines. When that bores me I head outside for a walk, back inside to lay down and maybe play on the computer

On The weekends I have been venturing out with my hubby and although I am still walking slow, I am at least getting out there. This next week I will do more of the same
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFibroid
Get lots of rest, get up and walk, don't over do it, pamperyourself, don't bend, don't lift, don't push, don't pull, don't do laundry,sweep,mop,vacuum,sit too long, lay in bed all day, do too much, ......you can stress the stitches, both inside and out, you will make your swellybelly worse, you need to stimulate your GI tract...
SO MANY DOs & DON'Ts....it's good for you AND bad for you...
Where is the line drawn for bedrest/activity, what did you all do to pass the day, It seems I can only pace around the house like an animal in a cage.
Good question cause I can't seem to figure it out either! Like yesterday, my brother picked me up and went to our parents' house for Sunday lunch. I mostly sat around and was there for 2 hours. I was hurting by the time I got home and needed my pain meds and a nap. Felt like I did too much even though I didn't really 'do' anything while I was there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM

Hi Princess Fibroid
This is a hard one to answer because we're all so different in how we feel and what we can do. Now that I'm looking back I can see that I wish I had been a little bit more active along the way, but that statement can mean different things for different people.

Even after I started feeling a little better and could do more I had to pace myself and really listen to my body and the signals it was sending me that I had done enough. One of the hard things I found was that once I had started an activity it was hard to stop myself short of finishing it if I got to thinking it was too much.

In the beginning, I could over do by staying on the couch too long, then I was trying outings and would stay gone too long or up on my feet too long. The goal at each stage of recovery is to be up walking and doing light activities but stopping short of exhaustion and pain.

I found walking to be one of the best forms of exercise. Whether it was around the house, out to the mail box and back or around a store or the block. Each of us has to listen to what our bodies dictate are the limits. I wish you well in finding yours.
's, Rita
Unread 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM

I agree with the above - everyone is different. Even doctors advice is different. My doctor gave me only one instruction - no vaginal sex for 6 weeks. I asked him about lifting restrictions, housework restrictions, etc etc. He said "everyone is different so I don't give specifics. We're all given the PERFECT instructor - our bodies ! If it hurts, STOP ! If it feels like it MIGHT hurt - slow down and do less at first."

I spent the first three weeks after my TAH as a total and completely couch potato except for walks around the house and out to the porch. I gently worked up how much I would walk, never pushing beyond what I thought MIGHT hurt. I started cooking during week 3, but was careful not to lift anything too heavy (you'll feel your abdominal muscles pulling a bit if you lift something too heavy or try to sweep or vaccuum).

Just take it easy I really enjoyed my 6 weeks of recovery. It gave me the perfect excuse to stop and smell the roses --- I discovered a whole new world on the slower side of life and its beautiful. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to REALLY see it for a change.
Unread 05-12-2008, 04:22 PM
findin things to do...

I agree that all these dos and donts are driving me nuts! I am doing just enough to feel tired. I sat at the kitchen table yesterday and played cards with my family. Although I got up in between hands, I was exhausted and in a little discomfort. Today, I unloaded the dishwasher, (really slow) and walked to the mailbox folowed by sitting down to enjoy my mom's last hour of her visit before catching her plane and fell right to sleep! She woke me to tell me goodbye though. I am following my body's instruction and doing just enough to keep me happy and it comfy.
MIL is here making dinner...I am liking this! DD is doing a load of laundry that DH put in the dryer before he left for work.
Kinda enjoying sitting back and letting them do what I always do. We have almost switched places!! Although I cannot wait to switch back.
Although my cable bill will be higher, on demand movies are a great discovery. Crocheting a baby blanket is in my daily agenda as well.
I hope whatever you find to keep you busy helps pass the time quickly as we all heal well.
amy
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Do what you feel is comfortable. If you overdo it your body will tell you. I am 32 years old. I have a wonderful husband and 12 year old boy at home. Their lives revolve around me. I don't mean it like that. But they count on me for alot of things. I was well taken care of the first week, but then I started feeling like I needed to do more. I started out by cooking some very easy meals. I could sit on a stool to prepare the meals and sit while it was cooking. I had help lifting things in and out of the oven and off the stove aka heave pans, boiling water, etc.... But this gave me a sense of being. Then I moved to other things like sweeping my kitchen floor. Just with a broom, no pushing or pulling. It didn't bother me so I did it. After a week I decided it was time to get out of the house so me and family ventured out to do some grocery shopping. I used one of those motorized scooters that all stores have. It was nice becasue I was out and about but not over exerting. I was using steps everyday. I had too because of the way my house floor plan is. I did some light dusting. The laptop was a god send for me because I could set it up anywhere I was and be online playing games. Do what feels ok to you. If you tire easily from an activity don't do it again. You will only know if you try. I stuck to the lifting restrictions and vacuuming. I did not do this until my dr released me but everything else I took as I felt comfortable. I slept when I was tired and just putted around the house as I felt better. You'll know when you've done too much. You'll need sleep, pain pills, bed or all of the above.
Good luck in your recovery.
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:36 PM

I am post op LAVH kept one ovary and right breast lumpectomy from may 2, 2008. I too am going nuts because I feel good (just tired). I have been renting lots of older movies that I missed first time around, sitting on the porch, and writing thank you notes to anyone who said or did the slightest thing for me. I'm having trouble feeling like a princess but I think it's because I havent been out of sweat pants for 1 1/2 weeks! Keep smiling!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register