Surgery 8/13/01. Scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 8/13/01. Scared! Surgery 8/13/01. Scared!

Unread 07-30-2001, 08:59 AM
Surgery 8/13/01. Scared!

I'm 30 years old and am having a LAVH on 8/13. For awhile I was doing wonderful, finding the positive in the surgery, and then over the weekend, started to get really scared. I have 2 more weeks to go. I feel like I am going to lose my mind! I need some support and to know that what I am feeling is normal (I hope!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2001, 09:17 AM
NORMAL??????

tina, yes your feelings are normal i was the same way. until two weeks before then all sorts of things went through my head! i thought i would go crazy. then the day came for surg. i couldnt even carry on a decent conversation, i cryed when i got the gown on and i didnt stop unit they knocked me out! i cryed over iv, then because i had to say good bye to long time boyfriend,even cryed on operating table, i am not a big ball baby usually, but when im nervous oh get out the kleneex. good luck your not alone. this is the first time i posted this, hope it helps. Sandy
Unread 07-30-2001, 09:19 AM
Not only is it normal ...

Its also very healthy to be scared! Its a big surgery and that is scary. You will be at the hospital for awhile and that is scary. You will need weeks to feel better and that is scary, too.

My advice to you is to reassure yourself that its normal to be scared before a big surgery. Think about what scares you the most and write it down. Have a good stress-relieving and soul cleansing CRY if it helps (it probably will). And take extra good care of yourself in the next 2 weeks.

Also, take time to plan some pampering when you get home. Have stuff ready to sit and do your nails, plan different activities (maybe buy some stationery and *write* letters), get some magazines and don't read them yet, have some gas-relief and prune-juice on hand, get some tasty treats you normally don't allow yourself. Some sisters have really poor appetites the days after the surgery and this may help stimulate yours. If you do crafts plan to have all the stuff you need in one place so you don't have to hobble around the hosue looking for it.

In other words - prep for your time at home and remind yourself that fear is normal and healthy - its OK to be scared and cry. Please cut yourself lots of emotional slack at this time and you won't regret it later!

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2001, 03:36 PM
Me Too!

Tina, I, too am scheduled for surgery 8/13. I am also sleepless, and I can hardly eat, everything makes me nauseous!! I try and think about how good life will be afterward - but I'm still scared stiff! Let's keep in touch through this, ok?
Unread 07-30-2001, 06:54 PM
Surgery 8/13/01. Scared!

I am scheduled for a TAH on the 13th also! My poor dh can't do or say anything right. All I do is cry,and panic!!! This site has helped me soooo much. Thank you to everyone.
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:16 PM
Hi Tina

Been there, done that, and got the crown My LAVH with bladder sling was done almost 9 weeks ago and looking back on it, the waiting was the worst part of the whole ordeal. I even walked out of the hospital on my first attempt.
Yes, the feelings that you are having are very normal. It helped me to ask lots of questions and to focus on the recovery instead of the actual surgery.
I wish that I could just say to you that it really isn't bad at all and have you feel okay, but I remember what the anxiety feels like and sometimes it is really hard to look past it.
If I can help you with any of your fears, please email me at [email protected]
Think about the recovery and how many novels you will be able to read in that time.
Hugs to you.
Brenda.
Unread 07-30-2001, 07:35 PM
Surgery 8/13/01. Scared!

Although the recovery process isn't easy, the worst, the very worst part was the waiting. My surgery was scheduled almost 2 months ahead of time and I was a mess for most of that time. Try to think of the positive things the surgery will do for you, pack your hospital bag, buy goodies for your homecoming, and plan something pleasant to do once you have recovered. If you need to talk, email me at [email protected]. I will be thinking of you.
Eileen
Unread 07-30-2001, 09:35 PM
Surgery 8/13/01. Scared!

Hi Tina,
Yes dear everything you are feeling is totally normal! I was exactly like you, happy to be having surgery until about the 2 week mark beforehand then I got so terrified. Couldn't eat or sleep!
What I did was just kept reminding myself why I HAD to have it done and stayed on this site day & night! It helped me so much!!
I also called my DR and talked to his nurse repeatedly and she helped me a lot too. Was very understanding and answered all my questions. So maybe you might try that too!

All of us here completely understand what you are going through so keep posting and we will help however we can!!!
I will keep good postive thoughts for you!
Hang in there the waiting is the absolute worst part I promise!

This Thursday I will be 4 weeks post-op from LAVH/RSO and am doing great! Can't believe how much better I actually feel!

Unread 07-30-2001, 09:56 PM
Surgery 8/13/01. Scared!

I would be scared if I wasn't scared!

It is a major surgery that noone should take lightly. Lots of good ideas have been posted. I like the idea of calling your doctor, maybe he can give you something to help you sleep at night. Lack of sleep only makes things worse and compounds the problem. Have you visited the hospital yet? They suggested that I come about two weeks before my surgery for my preop teaching. They take me into the room where I will be before surgery, explain the procedure and all of the preop preparations. They have asked me to come that early so I can have plenty of time to think of questions prior to the surgery and call up and ask them as they come up. I'm not sure if this would help your fears or make them worse!- Seeing the hospital that is. I always think the unknown is the worst.

We are all thinking of you and praying for you. Pamper yourself if you can.

HANG IN THERE!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register