Total Abdominal Hysterectomy done 07 April 2008 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy done 07 April 2008 Total Abdominal Hysterectomy done 07 April 2008

Unread 05-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy done 07 April 2008

Hi there .... At my annual physical in October 2006, they told me that my uterus was buldging and that I needed to have an ultrasound done. When I went back for the results, the doctor advised me that I would need to see the gyno. When I asked the student doctor what this meant - he said without much thought or sensitivity "How attached are you to your uterus?" I said, I don't know never been asked that before" and started to cry from shock.

I have always had painful cycles, the PMS, the cycle, and the Post PMS ... 3 weeks a month, I was up, I was down, and I was always tired.

On 05 May 2007, I met with my gyno and found out that my uterus is the size of a 14 week pregnancy due to the innumerable amount of fibroids. Hence, the constant pressure on my bladder.trips to the powder room and intense cycles.

We discussed various options - None of which are viable as they are temporary fixes. And at the end of the treatment, I would be back to square one – not acceptable for me.

So then we talked about UFE – which would be a surgery where they attack each fibroid separately … now if I had one or two fibroids this would be a consideration however with the number of fibroids and the size of my uterus … lends the doc to say that a blood transfusion would be required due to the blood loss during the surgery … and there is nothing to say that even if the surgery was successful that more fibroids would grow again and then I would have been back in the same position – square one. The doctor did not want to entertain this option at all.

So that left me with a total hysterectomy – now or later – the doc says that with the size my uterus is now, it is without a doubt that I would need on when I am older as the fibroids continue to grow and cause my constant pain and PMS.

So in a nutshell, I had to ask myself: Do I want to have surgery now - in my 30's, or wait 15 - 20 years to have it. The surgery is inevitable.

In regards to fertility – If I stayed at the painful status quo, a successful pregnancy is probable but never guaranteed. I know that I can always adopt or possibly have a surrogate carry the child for me.

The one question that the doctor asked me to consider was how I feel about giving up my fertility and then to consider how I would feel if I met Mr. Right tomorrow - is my answer the same? I said yes - "if he was my Mr. Right he would be willing to adopt." She said true enough. :-)

Outside of that, I have a few things to consider:
-Do I want to do this now or wait? It is inevitable …
-If I don’t the pain will get worse as the fibroids grow and my uterus continues to expand.
-Do I really want to stay at the status quo? There are no other real options that would be viable, so I would stay at square 1 until I decide to have surgery.
-Can I afford to have my energy levels zapped every month while my body recovers from another difficult cycle?
-when would be the ideal time to take 6 - 8 weeks off work?
-will I be financially stable to take time off?
-will this improve my quality of life?

She told me that I did not have to make this decision right away– but I felt that two months is more than enough to think about it all cause really I had been pondering the question since Oct 2006. I scheduled an appointment for July 3rd to meet with the doc to let her know what I have decided to do. If I decided to go ahead with the surgery now – I could have it done as early as September 2007.

I decided to wait until the spring of 2008, allowing time to prepare financially, etc. Plus I wouldn't be in recovery mode around Christmas. My family lives two provinces away and I always go visit.

On my 36th birthday in Dec 2007, I got a phone call, at work, from the gyno's office with a surgery date .... 07 April 2008.

So here we are: hystersister TAH (vertical incision)post op 6 weeks - getting pathology report on 20 May 2008.

I am happy with my decision, recovering well and feeling better than ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register