Is hysteroscopy D&C under twighlight sleep safer then general? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is hysteroscopy D&C under twighlight sleep safer then general? Is hysteroscopy D&C under twighlight sleep safer then general?

Unread 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Is hysteroscopy D&C under twighlight sleep safer then general?

Hello,
I am new here and am getting ready for a hesterscopy D&C on June 10th. I am 64 years old and I do not feel comfortable about the surgery because I have Cerebral Palsy which presents other health issues such as shallow breathing at times if given meds that are strong. The doctor wants to use general and I was thinking that twighlight sleep might be safer for me. Any one know about twighlight with D&C?

I had a Transvaginal Ualtrasound which came back as imcomplete dur to cerebral palsy involuntary movements. I also have fibroids which I personally believe where measured with the uterine lining, giving a false reading on test. I was not examinined by the Gyn doctor who I go to now because they feel they just can't examine me due to the involuntary movements. Yet they want me to go for a hesterscopy D&C. Any sugestions on how you all would proceed if under my circumstances. Any help you can offer will be very much appreciated. I just do not feel that I am heading in the correct direction and I feel that they are doing this proceedure blindly without enough information. Does anyone agree with me? Would you feel uncomfortable about proceeding?

Looking forward to hearing from you all,
Jadona2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2008, 02:48 AM

I certainly would feel uncomfortable about this... Is there anything that can control the involuntary movements? I had a hysterscope / D& C and they said that is what pushed the malignant cells into the abdomen... And to my knowledge, I didn't move during the procedure...
Are they looking for endometrial cancer? If so, can you just have a biopsy done? Ask more questions if you have time and do your own research... If I knew then, what I knew now from this site, I would not have had the hysterscope done... That is why I am now a stage IIIA instead of stage 1.
God bless.
Unread 05-23-2008, 11:25 AM

Hello PattieO,

I really apprecate your reply. First and utmost please let me tell you how kind you are when you yourself are having problems and to take the time to reply to my post, shows you are a very caring person. Thankyou!

I am having trouble with my daughter who feels when I tell her that the Hesterscopy D&C can allow precancerous cells to escape to other parts of the body. She feels I am just not wanting the D&C.

They are looking for that but their tests are said to have thickening of the endometrial lining and a fibroid. I however feel because of my CP they measured it inaccurately. The uterus I believe can be from 6-12 cm in size. If I am wrong please correct me. They say my lining is about 1.8 cm, however if they are measuring the lining as part of the fibroid then it is a wrong measurement. I have spotting and bleeding that comes and goes. They have no blood work, or MRI or even a pap smear because they say it is to difficult to examine me without anesthisia. That is not true because I had a tooth pulled with some valuim and and a shot of versed intermuscularly and was awake and they pulled my tooth with no problem. My problem is finding a doctor who will work and communicate with me. Also does not the fiborids make the uterus large?

Thanks for talking with me because this is really scarry stuff. I am not educated on all this stuff because I deal so much with my Cerebral Palsy I tended to forget this part of me.

Thanks again and any other information you can offer, I certainly appreciate.

God be with you,
Jadona2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM

Jadona, yes the fibroids themselves can enlarge the uterus. That is what happened with me. Definitely look into finding another doctor (or two). It is necessary for us to be comfortable with what our doctor tells us and how our doctors respond to what we tell them.
You are in my prayers! I hope this works out for you! Let us know your progress, please. We are here to try and help with suggestions/sharing our own experiences.
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Hello Afrenchfry,

Thank you so much for your reply and information. We all are learning. I am 64 and
still and uneducated in this kind of medical information. I do the best I can but am so grateful for websites such as thise one. I am learning that this is my body and I should have a say in what is done and not done. Sometime doctors feel they know everything and yet if they would only listen to the patient that is speaking to them, they could learn a lot. I feel like these two guys sometimes. Oh well, again thanks and hope all is well with you. Can I ask you how big they told you your uterus was from the fibroid? Thanks Jadona2006
Unread 05-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Hi Jadona, I will check my pathology report and let you know. I haven't looked at the report in about 3 months...I will say, what I recall my gyn telling me after surgery (I was still on pain killers)...I believe she told me the uterus she removed from me was the size of a very large grapefruit.
Unread 05-24-2008, 08:34 AM

jadona
I am sorry you are having these problems. I can't help you with your question regarding twilight sleep v. general anesthetic. I would say, that if you are not comfortable with the recommendations, you might want to get another opinion.

What is your diagnosis or what is it they think is the problem. You have said fibroids and you mentioned something about precancerous cells. Are they thinking you have both? If they think you have precancerous cells, you may want to consider having that second opinion with a gyn/onc.

I am even wondering if a teaching hospital might be a good place for you to consider if one is near you.

s
Jane
Unread 05-24-2008, 10:48 AM

((( jadona)))
My older DD, Karen, has cerebral palsy and I understand some of what you've been through and are facing now
I know that cerebral palsy can vary greatly from person to person but I can share some of Karen's experiences ( she can't type ) with you as I've always been right there with her as her mother & caregiver
She's had over a dozen surgeries in her life, beginning as a young child. Her only reaction to general anesthesia has been to throwup afterwards. Meds help control that some.
We've had some very good drs and some who just didn't know how to deal with a person with cp. When that happened we looked for another dr. With patience, the necessary testing, exams, etc have all been managed. Occasionally the testing or procedures had to be repeated for comparisons because of the involuntary movement. Sometimes she was put under general anesthesia to help control the movements for testing.

Please hang in there, get the help that you need, even if you have to try several drs You're worth it!

s S
Unread 05-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Hello Jmberg,
They think that the endometrial lining for a 64 yr old is too thick however I believe becausze of my CP they are measuring the fibroids with the lining. 1.8 cm is what they said and then wrote it was an imcomplete test due to the involuntary movements from Cerebral Palsy. Makes one suspicious of their suggestion when no accurate complete test has been proformed.

Take care,
Jadona2006
Unread 05-24-2008, 12:24 PM

Hello Jeanus,
Yes, being disabled when it come to comunication is my problem.. I can tryp but can not write. Doctors don't listen because the CP makes my speach difficult to understand. I though am not retarded as some are and for that I am grateful. I have found that some doctors can be very understanding and yet some are not so understanding and thing that because one has CP they are retarded. I spent my whole childhood showing them I was not retarded, just have to do things differently then others. That makes me unique!
Does Karen have trouble with suppressed breathing at times? I do and that is why I do not do well with general anasthesia. I have had muscle contractors released. That is not pleasent but we all do what we must. I will keep trying who knows, I might just find a doctor who knows how to control the movements without the general anesthsia.

Thank you for your reply.
Jadona2006

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register