Pain medication question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain medication question Pain medication question

Unread 05-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Pain medication question

Hi everybody! I hope everyone's having a good day and feeling okay!! I was just wondering what everyone's experience with needing pain medicine was. How long after your surgeries did you need to take pain medicine? I will be 3 weeks post-op on Monday the 26th and am finding that the last few days have been more painful in different ways. Therefore, I've had to start taking the prescription pain medicine again. I feel guilty about having to do that and of course, worry about it. I know that logically, if I'm in that bad of pain and need to take it, then I should. I'm just curious as to how everyone else managed...

Thanks for any replies and here's to full recoveries soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Pain medication question

im 17 days post op and ive had weird pains too....i didnt take anything for pain when i left the hospital. Nothing. I had a TAH with vertical incision. I have been hurting a bit the last few days more. i use ice. I get stabbing, pinching, pulling, burning and kinda crampy. I also have a yeast infection though. I still get weak legs and pain if i walk alot and have to sit. But then my legs get upset and back and hurt too..so its weird. what your feeling is normal...
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Pain medication question

hello there....I had my TAH on the 7th...and I had the same question. My thing was I didnt really feel I knew how much pain I was in because the percs masked it. I took myself off last Friday and realized the pain wasn't so bad so I stayed off them. I wouldn't feel guilty about taking them though - my doctor said if you are in pain - take them..why be uncomfortable and you had major surgery. If the pain starts back up for me...I'd have no problem taking a pill to get past it. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Pain medication question

Hi,
I had a TVH 5/5 and haven't taken any pain meds since leaving the hospital. I also get some severe stabbing pains at times for no reason, just happen when walking or sitting down. Luckily they tend to pass quickly. They began happening after the 2 week mark and are definitly not gas/BM pains. I guess this is all just part of the healing process.
Heal well - Joanne
Unread 05-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Pain medication question

I am still taking 3 percocet everyday at the 2 week 3 day post op marker.
I tired last week to be a hero and the aches and pains kep me from feeling rested and sleeping. I AM going to stop them this weekend though. I hit my 3 week marker on Tuesday and feel that I need to get off of them. I have heard percocet is a powerful and addictive drug and I don't want to mess with that!
Unread 05-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Pain medication question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrl
I'm just curious as to how everyone else managed...
It was necessary for me to get off narcotic pain medications ASAP because at the same time I was recovering from my surgery, my 80-year-old father was lying on his deathbed from cancer, and I needed to "be there" for my family and assist with end-of-life decisions and plans in a clear-headed manner.

I stopped my narcotic pain medications less than two weeks post-op and managed to stay off them by spending most of my time in bed, not doing housework, not going grocery shopping, or doing anything else physical except take daily walks...and slowly increasing their duration. I treated myself delicately. I used the "getting out of bed" method taught to me by my nurse. "Laying around" that many hours per day was not easy for me as I am one of the most impatient people in the world. But it's the method that worked best for me.

Based on my own recovery experience, my advice is to listen to your body. If it's hurting more as time goes on, it very well could mean that you are simply doing too much.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Pain medication question

I just hit my 2 week mark, and I still need to take something for pain. I took the vicodin for the first week and finally got off them. Only thing I take now is aleve when i need to and I pretty much need to take some everyday. I am still in a little pain more less achy and crampy type feeling, and my back is hurting me and have a few vicodin left if I really need them. Today is probally the first day i felt pretty good but by the evening hits its all back feeling achy and sore.
Unread 05-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Pain medication question

I never took any pain medicine after the post op first day except for two tylenol when I had a fever and bronchitis and it went over 102 (in the hospital we don't like to give tylenol for fever unless its high). I had a TVH. I was sore, but I can deal with that.
Unread 05-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Pain medication question

I took the prescription pain meds for the first 4 days (only about once or twice a day) and then switched to Motrin (2 tablets) as needed. For me, the Motrin worked better than the prescription stuff. I haven't taken any for about a week now, but will not hesitate to take the Motrin again if I feel pain.
Marburg

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register