Using soy for hot flashes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Using soy for hot flashes Using soy for hot flashes

Unread 05-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Using soy for hot flashes

I'm 51. I had my TAH BSO on April 11 and went back to work 4 weeks later. I can now do almost everything again. I'll take the vacuuming job back from my duaghter in a couple of weeks (I actually enjoy vacuuming). No hot flashes yet, I guess the soy is working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Concerned about age and recovery

Hmmmmm - have wondered about soy. Did you take it before your TAH? Can you compare it to HRT by personal experience? I ask because:

I thought I was pretty much into full menopause and weaned myself of HRT about 2 years before my giant tumor was discovered. I asked the oncological gynecologist surgeon if he thought going off HRT after 7 years on it had anything to do with the tumor. He doubted it. I still wonder, though. Anyway, thinking I was done with the majority of symptoms of menopause, I have been surprised to have hot flashes for the first time and more night sweats in 4 months than I had in the two years since I was off HRT! Not that it has been too awful - I made a pact with myself when perimenopause started that I would try to be AMUSED by the episodes of night sweats! It actually works most of the time!! (I had read that the degree of discomfort of menopause had a lot to do with how your own mother reacted to her menopause and thus your own attitude about it. I had a 'mentor' who encouraged the amused attitude - bless her heart!!!)

How are others dealing with menopause symptoms? If you are in your 50's or more, are you experiencing more symptoms since your surgery? I had both ovaries removed and thought they were done making estrogen, but maybe because I have new menopause symptoms they were pumping out a bit of estrogen after all!
Unread 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM

I didn't start soy until I came out of the hospital, and it was the only thing I have ever tried, but it does work for me. I drink 3 large glasses of soy milk daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2008, 10:17 PM

I am 5 weeks post op and started the hot flashes about 10 (?) days ago. What a pain!!. They wake me up and I find them bothersome. I will try the humor thing tho.

I am using Estroven, a natural remedy. It does help a lot. I was having some about 6 months ago, took that stuff for about 10 days and they stopped. I am going to try the soy milk now. Good idea!!
Unread 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM

I just turned fifty and am taking a soy supplement (Estroven) along with flaxseed. The hotflashes have diminished in frequency and severity since I started this regimen. I can't wait until they're gone for good. Yes, the symptoms were MUCH worse after my surgery.

Margaret
Unread 05-25-2008, 05:58 AM

I opted to "wait and see" on hormones after my TAH on April 29 since at 52 I was already experiencing menopausal symptoms although still getting my period sporadically. So far I have had a few light hot flashes/sweats, no real emotional swings (although my exposure to the general public has been limited hahaha) nor any other immediately evident issues. I have decided also to use soy or a soy supplement and flaxseed, and I appreciate the posts here regarding other people's experiences.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register