general vs. spinal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

general vs. spinal? general vs. spinal?

Unread 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
general vs. spinal?

Hi. Thank you for this great site. I'm a walking question mark these days. My surgery is scheduled for 6/23- SAH (think I'm leaving cervix- will figure that out next). The dr. offered spinal or general...I've never had either and I wondered if anybody had any input. thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
general vs. spinal?

if it was up to me, i'd go with spinal ... you'll be 'awake' but so dopey you won't care ... if it's early enough in the morning you may even fall back to sleep on your own ... you don't have the option if you're having any other type of procedure (lap or vag) because the co2 they use to inflate your belly will compromise your breathing ... with the spinal, you won't have a breathing tube ... less chance of nausea coming out of it also ...
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
general vs. spinal?

I had SAH (april 22) and I had the general. I wanted to be completely out. I was lucky and didn't have any problems. I have had other surgeries and have always had general. I was of course tired when waking up, but went back to sleep right away. I only slightly remember being taken from the recovery room to my own room. I think I had more problems with the morphine drip than anything else (made me sick and at times wasn't enough for my pain, needed more relief which I was given in a shot form)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
general vs. spinal?

Thanks-
Geri- I wanted to ask you- but not sure if this is the place or not.... first of all good luck on the 29th!!! I'll certainly keep you in my prayers and watch for your posts...I noticed your post says TLH (poss TAH). Does this mean your doctor is going to attempt laprascopic but may need abdomina?
Vicki
Unread 05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
general vs. spinal?

yes, exactly ... i won't know until i wake up exactly what's happened ... she's pretty sure it can go laparoscopic, but i had a crash c-section 20 years ago ... if there is a lot of scar tissue [or if it's fused to my abdominal wall] then she'll have to go in along the c-sec scar and clean up the rest ... i'm really hoping not [of course] because i've never had any pain behind that incision, so i'm hoping that's a good sign that nothing is stuck-together ... i should know more in 48 hours, but i'm planning on being too high to care!
Unread 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM
general vs. spinal?

I had the spinal (had many surgeries under general). I loved the spinal.
Unread 05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
general vs. spinal?

Hi no more crimson!!

I'm in Cali and having surgery the same day as you. i will be keeping my eye out for your posts pre and post-op.

I am opting for general because I get nauseaus from spinals and am allergic to anti-nausea meds.

I will keep you in prayer for peace and clarity in your decision.

Good luck to you.

Blessings,
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
general vs. spinal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by believerchick
Hi no more crimson!!

I'm in Cali and having surgery the same day as you. i will be keeping my eye out for your posts pre and post-op.

I am opting for general because I get nauseaus from spinals and am allergic to anti-nausea meds.

I will keep you in prayer for peace and clarity in your decision.

Good luck to you.

Blessings,
Hi BelieverChick!
Thanks so much for the message! It took me all this time to find it again--
I got my surgery time- 10am on 6/23. seems so much more real now. what time is your surgery? I'm an emotional mess (not unusual), and wonder if it will get worse or better as time gets shorter.
I did order the swelly belly thing in preparation.
and by the way- I love your quote!
And I'll keep YOU in my prayers!!!
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:29 AM
general vs. spinal?

just my

I had my surgery with spinal and loved it

never felt when needle was being placed, nor dont remember anything except waking up in recovery with NO PAIN!! , my legs were numb but feeling came back after a couple of hours....if would do it again, definately with spinal!!

talk to your doctor, and see what is best for you and go for it....you will be fine....
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:49 AM
general vs. spinal?

I had a spinal for my TVH. I would do it again, but did have complications because of the spinal. I had severe pain during he surgery at one point, but the anesthesiologist handled that. I also had a spinal headache for a week afterwards, but this forced me to lie down more that I may have, so was a good thing.
I was told by the anesthesiologist that the headache occurs about 1% of the time, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Best wishes for a simple surgery and smooth recovery - Joanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register