6 days til surgery and scared beyond belief | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days til surgery and scared beyond belief 6 days til surgery and scared beyond belief

Unread 05-28-2008, 07:49 AM
6 days til surgery and scared beyond belief

Hi my surgery is on Tuesday. I am so scared I just want too cancel it. Well not really--but I do.

I don't have anyone too talk too at home about this, as each time I try too share the ladies I know tell me its not big deal, I don't have too be worried.
That isn't helping, its like everyone I know is negating how I feel and just telling me too get over it--truly I don't whine that much--mostly b/c I know they won't listen or sympathize.

I just know that too have my fears and worries acknowledged usually helps them too dissapate some. I'm just feeling really alone in all of this and w/o support. Am I the only one who feels that their chest is so tight that their heart is in their throat. It seems almost hard too breathe. I really just want too sit and cry, but who has time for that. I have so much too do, its like I don't have time too breath. I have already let go of some things...so it isn't about prioritizing. (My dad had a stroke and my favorite aunt died last month and that put me way behind on my schedule as I had too go out of state too attend.)

Any ideas of how I can calm myself...is anyone else feeling the way I am...alone, crazy, out of control and panicked??
I guess part of me just wants too know that I'm not crazy.
Ha or maybe it is just me and I am crazy LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 08:00 AM

Big hugs
You sound pretty normal to me. I remember how stressed and emotional I was while waiting for my hyst. I was on an emotional roller coaster - went from crying to laughing and back again all in just a few minutes sometimes. And the fear of the unknown can really add to the whole thing too.
You've had a lot of extra stress recently and I'm sure that has made it all harder for you

I found that staying busy helped me get through the wait. I cleaned the house, prepared food for my recovery, shopped for new comfy jammies, treated myself to a day at a beauty salon. Long soaks in a tub helped too. Do something nice for yourself, something that you enjoy

Best wishes.

S
Unread 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM

Thanks, I do have appts tomorrow for a massage and a facial.
I did grab some nice stuff at Value Village --satin pj's and a robe.

I think the worst of it as I said is that no one close too me seems too understand. I mean--this is major surgery, there will be recovery time, there is a small chance that I could die or a chance that something could go wrong. Some of my fears are real and it seems like no one wants too acknowlege that.

Being house bound (we have stairs) not being able too drive, the pain ( I have other injuries that this is going too affect--so there will be surgery pain and back pain) Of course the silly one and one of the worst ones for me--letting go of control while I recover--having someone else do things, cook, clean, pay bills etc. I usually do it all--and not being able too do things scares me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Hang in there! After surgery, you will more than likely look back and think, "now what the heck was I so worried about?"

Try to stay busy. I too found it nice to hit the beauty salon/spa before surgery. I personally got waxed as I knew I wouldn't be shaving for awhile.

Most everything I was worried about did not even end up being a big deal. I had everything laid out and lists all over the house. I was worried that I would be so out of it that I had to everything spelled out for my husband. I was pretty self-sufficient after a couple days and even laughed when I realized I had a pile of nightgowns set out so he wouldn't have to dig through the drawers to find them.

Big hugs. Waiting is the worst part! You're not alone! Try to remember to breathe!
Unread 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM

{{{Julie1}}}

You are very normal and you are not alone. Yes, it is major surgery. Yes, there is recovery time. Yes, you will be unable to do for yourself for a little while. Yes, that is a very hard thing to swallow when you are a very capable person used to doing for herself. Yes, your recovery will probably impact and affect the other injuries you have.

Now... breathe. It's okay. You will get throught this. You have some time to finish getting things organized and prepared. And as much as it sucks to be dependent on others, I for one, am trying to embrace this as a "forced" vacation. Gotta look for that silver lining

I will keep you in prayer that you find some peace over this week until your surgery. I look forward to reading about how well your recovery is going.

Take good care.

Blessings,
Unread 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Julie1, a big hug of encouragement is what I'm sending you. You're not nuts, you just feel like it in the week before surgery. You reminded me how stressful that week was -- the "what if" thoughts that make you want to clean the house and purge the cabinets and drawers. That's not as important as taking care of yourself.

As that last pre-op week went by, I actually calmed down a little more each day and I hope you can also. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, take your vitamins and enjoy some fresh air while you do some stretches to relieve the stress.

It is a big deal, and you can't "get over it" until you're over it! The anxiety you're feeling is much worse than the physical discomfort you'll experience after surgery when your major emotion will be relief.

Take care, best wishes for peace of mind and a great recovery. Let yourself be pampered -- that part doesn't last long enough : )

TAH/BSO, huge fibroids, colon/ovary adhesion
Unread 05-28-2008, 10:13 PM

I am right there with you sister! My TAH/BSO is the day before yours. I have the same thoughts-
What if I die? (Even though logically I know that probably will not happen!)
What if something happens in surgery?
What if I am in pain?
How can I go 3-6 months without HRT? (I have severe endo.)
What if I react poorly to HRT? (I am only 34-so I have to take it.)
So-no you are NOT alone! I am very scared! But I keep putting my faith in God and knowing that I am in His hands does give me comfort.
I will be praying for you!
Unread 05-29-2008, 06:04 AM

I was so nervous before mine I asked my doc to put me on something mild for my nerves just until surgery. He did. And when I got to the hospital for surgery, everything went so fast, that I really did not have time to be too nervous. And when they wheeled me to the holding room, they put some Versed in my IV which really helped to relax me (it was wonderful) and all I remember after that is them wheeling me to the OR and telling me to scoot over on the table, and me telling them not to let me fall off, and the next thing I knew they were waking me up in recovery. And I had basically no pain except in my legs from the position I was in during surgery. So I hope you do find out that it is not nearly as bad as you think it will be. Believe me I thought it would be a LOT worse than it actually was.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register