So do they really mean no lifting for the whole 6 weeks??? (children mentioned) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So do they really mean no lifting for the whole 6 weeks??? (children mentioned) So do they really mean no lifting for the whole 6 weeks??? (children mentioned)

Unread 05-29-2008, 10:42 PM
So do they really mean no lifting for the whole 6 weeks??? (children mentioned)

I am going to have an lavh w/rso at the end of July. He told me 24 to 48 hr hospital stay than 6 week recovery with some restrictions as well as no lifting over 15 lbs. My 1 yr old is 20 lbs.

I will have dh with me for a week post op and my mom for another week post op.

Is the lifting restriction that serious for that length of time post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2008, 11:07 PM

This is definitely a question for your doc. But, I think they're pretty serious about it. I had my gall bladder out due to an anatomical disorder when DS #2 was a year old & lifted him when I was told not to. Well, my gyn. had extra work when she got into me cleaning up scar tissue from my gall bladder/appendectomy surgery (they did both at the same time). The surgeon who did my gall bladder surgery kept all my stitches internal - no staples - so that I could wear my new bikini without a big scar. The laprascopic surgery came out 8 months after they did mine so I've got a 4" incision where they did my gall bladder. At 2 weeks you could hardly see where I'd been cut open. It was so nice my surgeon paraded my around his office to the other docs to show his work off. Well, I overdid & my nice, very thin line turned into an ugly worm so I can only imagine what I did on the inside. Like you'll see & hear more than once on this site, you only have one chance to heal. When I had my hyst., I followed every instruction & guideline to a tee. I was rewarded with a "WOW! You've healed beautifully!" from my gyn at my 6 week check & pelvic. My weight limit with my hyst was 10 pounds. Do you have other friends/family that could help out? Is there a neighborhood teen or people from a local church that could help? I was a stay at home mom while my kids were young & the older kids/teen in the neighborhood were always coming over to visit & play with my little ones. Please talk to your doc! Like I said before, you only get one chance at healing - do it right so you end up with the best recovery possible! Wishing you the best!

Blessings,
Sue
Unread 05-29-2008, 11:22 PM

Thanks Sue. Well I will for sure have help for 2 weeks and than I will also have my almost 10 year old around since it is still summer break. I have my mother in law and 2 sister in laws that live within 2 miles. One sister in law will help me out but my other probably won't be of much help and I may get a quick check in from my mother in law. So we shall see, I also hate to ask for help, but we also have a very close church family so I could get some help that way, but I don't want to have people I don't know all that well come over and feel like I have to entertain them.

I have just read quite a few people say they feel fine after a couple weeks, but maybe most on here don't have small children so you would not have anyone to worry about but yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2008, 11:54 PM

You are so welcome! It sounds like you have the makings of a great support structure. I, too, don't like asking for help but there are times when it is warranted & this is one of them. When you do ask for help, let them know that when they are there, you will most likely not feel up to entertaining & for that person not to take it personally. If you feel good that day, then you have some company & someone to lift your little one. Also, be specific with your helpers in what you'd like them to do. I know what you're talking about with when we feel good, it's easy to forget that we are recovering & on restrictions. I did exactly that with my gall bladder surgery. Knowing what I know now, if I could go back & change how I handled my gall bladder surgery recovery, I would. I wouldn't do the lifting I wasn't supposed to & I would only do the activities that my doctor said I could do. This reminds me of that saying "necessity is the mother of all invention." On days that it's just you & the 10 yr. old, I bet between the two of you, you can work things out together so that you are able to follow your restrictions. Just as you will get your recovery area ready before your trip to the castle, when you're further into your recovery, have your helpers prepare an area where caring for the baby can be done easily. Maybe a little basket with diaper changing supplies & a changing pad on the floor in the family room or something. I'm here if you have more questions!

Sue
Unread 05-30-2008, 12:00 AM

Sue

Thanks again. I am just afraid since everyone thinks I am crazy for making this decision. I guess my after care should not be on the top of my worries, I am sure it will all work out.
Unread 05-30-2008, 12:17 AM

I had extensive back surgery when my daughter was about two yrs old. Couldn't lift anything for about 6 months. So, I taught her how to climb into her carseat and her high chair and everything worked out fine. And no back problem to speak of almost 21 yrs later.

Now that I have and the tvh and bladder lift and feel fine on the outside, I think that everyone thinks I am fine on the inside too. But, I have to keep re-iterating that I cant lift for 6-8 weeks.

The men in my life (husband and son) are definitely from Mars and not Venus!!

Love,
Natalie
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM

The other (((sisters))) have given you great advice. I'd only add a couple of things from my own experience.

My ds was 3 (almost 4) when I had my hyst -- and of course he still loved being carried around. He had to get used to other people putting him to bed and giving him a bath, etc. but I still got to snuggle with him.

You might want to think about an alternative whereby your little one could still nap near you, but on the floor instead. They have those portable beds (complete with sides) and that way it might eliminate the need for some lifting. Have you seen them? They look sort of like a cross between an air mattress and a wading pool. I don't know how else to describe them.

The other thing I remember my doctor warning me about was that, even once the lifting restrictions were lifted, it didn't mean I could start carrying around 25+ pounds right away. I needed to "ease" back in, not "jump" back into my daily routine. Although I started lifting a bit right at 6 weeks, I didn't carry ds around until I was almost 4 months post-op.

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM

I am in the same boat as you. My 2.5 yo is not going to understand why I am not picking him up. As far as after care, I have help for the first two weeks and then I am pretty much on my own. My surgery is 2 weeks from today and I feel like I am going to have a breakdown.
Unread 05-30-2008, 03:28 PM

My 15 month old isn't going to like it either and I am a single mom so no one else there to take care of him after the first little bit. During the day when I am alone he can play on the bed with some toys and when the big kids come in later he can play with them. It's the only thing I can do but will just have to make it work.
Unread 05-30-2008, 05:15 PM

You've gotten great advice....when I was discharged they just said resume normal activities as tolerated. That's it, no restrictions other than no sex for 6 weeks, no hot tubs, no baths. And that was with a TAH. Our dog is ten lbs and I can lift him just fine now at 11 days out from surgery. You should ask your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register