Surgery upcoming - question for those with keloid skin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery upcoming - question for those with keloid skin Surgery upcoming - question for those with keloid skin

Unread 05-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Surgery upcoming - question for those with keloid skin

I have my surgery 6/6 and mypre-op is 6/4. I was told they would do my ekg then. Does this appt also finalize my choices? I have anemia and fibroids. I have 2 kids both c-sections and tubal ligation 1982/1984/1985. I was advised to have partial. I understood that is uterus only. then thursday I went to get my surgery scheduled and talk more to dr and another docter said I can have my ovaries taken out (I am44). She said it will be dead in a few years and can have ovarian cancer sometimes. (I have no cancer, no fam history of it) I have told them NO. I just wanted partial only, but since I am going to pre-op next week. I am looking into whether i should change my mind or not. I am leaning toward (partial only). MY big concern is I have keloid skin and wondering if LAVH can bring on keloids down there. I think im going to tell them to use my old c-sect scar and do it LAH only. any comments to help me pleasel?? surgery is anemia and MAD CRAZY bleeding with demonic clots!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2008, 06:03 PM

Hello scaredlady63 and

We’re happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited cyber-hugs to dispense and experiences to share with you at every stage of your journey to good health!

If you haven’t already done so, please do yourself a favor and register to receive Hysterectomy Checkpoints. It’s one of the best features of the site, in my opinion -- designed to accompany you through the entire hysterectomy experience from start to finish, and beyond!

Based on my own experience, I would think you would be able to "change your mind" about your ovaries "staying or going" right up until the time you are taken to the OR. Even though I had told my gynecologist "many times" that I wanted to have my ovaries removed, he still asked me one more time when the nurse was preparing me for surgery.

Many physicians advise retaining ovaries if they are healthy and the patient does not have a family history of ovarian cancer. At your upcoming pre-op appointment, I suggest you ask your doctor to share some information on this topic with you and get his/her advice based on your health history.

I don't have a keloid skin issue but I am sure those who can share will be along soon to offer their input.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:22 AM

I'm sorry I don't know what keloid skin is but I will say a prayer for your surgery.

From what I have read here the ovaries continue to do good things for you even after you enter menopause. I personally wouldn't have them out unless there was something wrong with them esp if there is no family history of cancer. Just my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2008, 07:32 AM

if youre ovaries are healthy and you dont have a strong family ovarian cancer risk, why remove something that is healthy and will provide you with much needed hormones for many more years? even after menopause, your ovaries still provide you with small amounts of hormones. try to do lots of research and make an informed decision about your ovaries and cervix. you can let your dr know what your decision is at your pre-op.
Unread 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I am post op NOW!

I had my TAH6/6. just got home this afternoon and basically I am doing well. If you dont count the staples up my stomach (argh)... Just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who answered my post and to all you guys who frequent this website. Thanks alot...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register