5 weeks po and IC flaring | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks po and IC flaring 5 weeks po and IC flaring

Unread 06-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Unhappy - 5 weeks po and IC flaring 5 weeks po and IC flaring

I am having one hell of a time right now. I had a TAH and BSO on 4.29.08; and I had hoped I would be further along by now. However, my IC is flaring. I started taking Ditropan to help with the frequency; but it isn't doing that much. I get so sleepy at night with my night meds, but I can't go to sleep because I have one more trip to the bathroom. By the night's end, it was more like 5-10 trips to the bathroom.

I am so frustrated, and I am so tired. I know exhaustion is normal post-op, but I feel like it is even worse for me because of my bladder. I can't even imagine going back to work right now.

The pain radiates down the backs of my legs and my inner thighs. I am either on a heating pad or have an ice pack between my legs. (Thank heavens I am single.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2008, 07:36 AM
5 weeks po and IC flaring

puglsygrl--

I'm sorry you are having such pain. I haven't read of many IC folks on the forum lately BUT you can do a search for information by going to the Google Search bar at the top right side of this page. Type in "IC flare" with the quote marks and see what comes up here on the site. I know you will find threads from several past discussions that will most likely help you.

I'm sure having had IC for awhile, you probably know your trigger foods and what to stay away from and all that. But if not, there are several very good IC sites on the internet that can point you in the right direction. The ic-network.com and ichelp.org are the 2 main ones I know about.

I do hope you find the help and information you need.

Sending extra {{{hugs}}} and good vibes.......
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:05 PM

I'm an IC girl !!

Actually I just had a flare up that began Memorial day weekend. I'm still having the lower back pain but not as bad. At least now I can walk, sit, ride in a vehicle, etc. Mine are more physical induced. I don't have flare ups very often, but when I do, it's always a doozy!

I'm thinking your flare up is from the surgery. That can happen to those of us with IC.

The only suggestion I can give is to pamper yourself as much as you possibly can. Cry if you need to! I sure did ! My husband wanted to take me to the ER....I had to remind him the ER couldn't do a thing for me! The pain is just unbelievable!

How long do your flare ups last? From start to finish, mine will last 2-3 wks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2008, 11:15 PM

I have IC too and am on Elmiron. Do you take medications regularly for your IC condition. When I am in a flare, the only thing that really helps is my pain meds and the things you are already doing. Like the previous post stated, you just have to make yourself as comfortable as possible and "ride it out". Hopefully you will be feeling better soon.
Unread 06-05-2008, 11:54 PM

carcrazy,

I went to the doctor's office today to give an urine sample. I am so used to it not being an infection. They decided to go ahead and treat me like I have one since I couldn't pee enough. (I love a bashful bladder.) So, I started Macrobid tonight.

I don't know if it is one or a flare. If it is a flare, it is one of my absolute worst because the pain medicine isn't touching it much, which is unusual. I'm on my second medicine for the frequency. If it is an infection, I hope the Macrobid does its job!

It is nice to see a fellow IC girl! Thanks for your supportive post.
Unread 06-06-2008, 12:04 AM

Agape,

I take Elavil, Neurontin, and Lodine (for an anti-inflammatory) for my IC. I did a year of bladder instillations 3x a week for a year that helped, eventually. I did take Elmiron for awhile, but it didn't work for me. I may have to try it again.

Right now, I am up for a bladder-ectomy! lol...
Unread 06-06-2008, 11:39 AM

I tried the bladder instillations, but the pain of getting them done was almost as bad as the pain from the IC. I really do not do well with catheters. It took quite awhile for the Elmiron to work and there are side effects that I don't like, but after almost a year, I am beginning to feel almost normal. I still take the Elavil too.
Unread 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM

Hi, I also have IC. Just wanted to say, sorry you are having a flare on top of your recovery. I feel your pain, literally,lol.

Anyway I see that you have a bad time with instills. Have you ever tried them at home with marcaine and heparin. Those help me the most when I am in a bad flare. My dr gave me an infant feeding tube that I use as a catheter. It is very small.
Hope you get some relief soon.
Unread 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM

pugslysgrl, Just checking to see if you're better?....everyone else too?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register