Phrases I choose to ignore!!!! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Phrases I choose to ignore!!!! Phrases I choose to ignore!!!!

Unread 06-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Phrases I choose to ignore!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helga_t
Mine was from a male relative.

"Now that you can't have children, you need an interesting career..."

I was speechless!!!! (and trust me, that doesn't happen easily)
Firstly, I thought I had an interesting career (I work in IT as a super-geek and love it) and secondly...what the heck???????

Boy talk about rude and insensitive. What are some people thinking when they open there mouths....oh wait....their NOT thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM

Today, a Johovah's Witness stopped by my house and when I told him I was having a hysterectomy tomorrow he said "Oh well, that's just a small surgery, you'll be fine, no big deal" Like .....I was speechless.

I don't feel like no big deal to me. Let's gut him and see how he likes it....

Ok that was mean but that is how I felt when he said it.
Unread 06-09-2008, 05:35 PM

I agree totally, even my boyfriend's mom who I know so well said " you will be fine", and "I never heard of that before" wondering why she, at 80 years old never had to do it. She is one that rarely goes to the doctor, certainly never the gyne...she wouldn't even know if she had a prolapsed bladder or female problems as she chooses to ignore going. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Good Luck, Good Luck, mine is the 11th. keep in touch and see you at post-op. when we are getting better.
TVH - 6/11/08 and cystocele
JJS (Joan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2008, 10:51 AM

I'll hold him down for ya!
Unread 06-10-2008, 01:37 PM

this is an AWESOME thread

I have read all posts and they are funny and at the same time "sad"

the one that I over heard about me was when we went to a restaurant and I didnt want to be seated at a booth (they are uncomfortable after surgery), wanted a table, so the person I was with said " Oh, she just had surgery and they emptied her out"!! people are SO insensitive
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:14 PM

ok , see that is sounds like one of my boys or husband would say....... not to be mean but they just wouldnt know how else to put.
Unread 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Here's a few I have heard about my TAH which is scheduled for tomorrow:

"Have them put in a few extra stitches down there"

"Are you ready for your six week vacation?"

"It will be nice to be in the hospital & catch up on your sleep!"

"Oh I had the same procedure - piece of cake, you'll be fine in 24 hours"

Can you even imagine what I wanted to reply to these people! Of course I said nothing, just smiled while my blood boiled!
Unread 06-10-2008, 04:44 PM

This is all sad, but GOSH, I am laughing and only 6 days post op after my TAH with overies... I am laughing and hurting! I am so sorry for those who had these things said though!

I only laugh because the remarks are so rediculous! Also, because everyone is so strong about having had these things said to them. We all understand.

I am very lucky. I have not had anything bad said to me. I seem to get a bit more understanding when people find out I can't take pain meds.
Unread 06-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Keep in mind, I don't even see my doc to schedule this for another week- I have been hearing
"But your so young!" (yes, and for almost half of my life, it has caused me problems!)
from almost every doc before the awesome combo I have now "If you just tried losing some weight..." Yeah, because an issue I had when I was underweight, at a 'goot' weight, and overweight obviously can be solved by losing weight.
"Ohhh, think about how relaxing it will be afterwards!"
mhh-hmm. yeah, relaxing. I hate being laid up, I have things that have to be done, everyday that won't get done while I'm laid up, etc...

"Oh! I bet that you'll drop a few pounds really quickly though!"

"Why can't you just deal with it, plenty of women cramp and bleed heavily!" Yeah, and plenty of women don't have narcotic pain relief for their cramps, industrial, hospital grade pads, and....

"It's just a little surgery"

And my all tame 'favorite' so far-
"Did you ask your husband about this?" A) yes, he and I have talked, B) it's my uterus, not his, C) The tone of voice in which it is said is sooooooo annoying.
Unread 06-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS
I agree totally, even my boyfriend's mom who I know so well said " you will be fine", and "I never heard of that before" wondering why she, at 80 years old never had to do it. She is one that rarely goes to the doctor, certainly never the gyne...she wouldn't even know if she had a prolapsed bladder or female problems as she chooses to ignore going. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Good Luck, Good Luck, mine is the 11th. keep in touch and see you at post-op. when we are getting better.
TVH - 6/11/08 and cystocele
JJS (Joan)
I can only imagine what my grandmother would say about my decision, if she were still alive - she quite often pointed out that both me and my cousin Joan "had our babies the wrong way" - C-section, of course ! She birthed 12 babies in 24 years and lived to be 91 with no surgeries of any kind.

SIGH....

This thread needs to be stickied at the top for continual reference and additions daily !
Skipper (hoping for my TAH July 3rd or sooner - waiting to hear from the dr. tomorrow)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register