Phrases I choose to ignore!!!! - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Phrases I choose to ignore!!!! Phrases I choose to ignore!!!!

Unread 06-11-2008, 07:00 AM
One that keeps getting under my skin!

Is when everyone keeps saying - don't worry, it's such a common thing these days. Well, it might be common but it's still my body! I wouldn't wish major surgery on anyone - I just wish people could be a little more sympathetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Phrases I choose to ignore!!!!

I've loved reading your comments!

My MIL emailed me after my emergency hysterectomy which I had no time to think plan around or prepare for: "So many women seem to have to go through a health crisis as part of their life's lessons"

The most outrageous come from male acquaintances. You know that you've been one of the guys too often when they feel that they can say:
"So did you get the full meal deal?" or
the WORST
"So I hear they reamed you out"
Unread 06-15-2008, 10:10 PM
unsympathetic people

Quote:
Originally Posted by her1029
Is when everyone keeps saying - don't worry, it's such a common thing these days. Well, it might be common but it's still my body! I wouldn't wish major surgery on anyone - I just wish people could be a little more sympathetic.
You are so right, I agree and even my s/o boyfriend's mom says ..."she will be fine", you will be fine, however, she says she never heard of anyone having to do that before, I am 80 and I have not.

JJS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2008, 01:50 PM

My newest phrase - Just a reminder that people sometimes don't really mean to be cruel - no one says exactly the right thing at exactly the right time - EVER

From my very best friend
"Well, It's good you don't have kids, so you can really concentrate on you without all the hassle..."
At this point - she just stopped (I could hear her terror as she realized what she had said) and then....
"Oh my God...I can't believe I said that...I'm the worst friend in the world...You should like fire me or something........etc., etc., "(she's near tears)

I told her it was O.K. how much I loved her etc. and thought to myself "see...it's not just me that's crazy and says the wrong things....it's everyone" so don't take it all to heart.

TANK
Unread 06-18-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie28681
Today, a Johovah's Witness stopped by my house and when I told him I was having a hysterectomy tomorrow he said "Oh well, that's just a small surgery, you'll be fine, no big deal" Like .....I was speechless.

I don't feel like no big deal to me. Let's gut him and see how he likes it....

Ok that was mean but that is how I felt when he said it.

hmmm , I don't think it is mean. I think that if a guy had these problems they would have figured out different fixes by now!
Unread 06-20-2008, 06:23 AM

My DMI (devoted mother in law) told me she had THE SAME problem at my age - although everything I seem to have she has had! She used to work for a hospital where she had to wear white pants as part of a uniform. I said, "You see, I would have NEVER applied for a job where white pants was part of the uniform..."
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:21 AM

here's an unbelieveably idiotic one that i got ....

"are you sure they can't do something else? are you sure you're ready to give up your womanhood?"

i wanted to scream when i heard that one!!!
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampchefjul
here's an unbelieveably idiotic one that i got ....

"are you sure they can't do something else? are you sure you're ready to give up your womanhood?"

i wanted to scream when i heard that one!!!
I have been asked this on already. I am 29. I have tried other options, and I finally told people "You know what? I will feel like more of a woman when I am not constantly in pain, and can enjoy my life!"
Unread 06-20-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW2K
I have been asked this on already. I am 29. I have tried other options, and I finally told people "You know what? I will feel like more of a woman when I am not constantly in pain, and can enjoy my life!"
Good for you!! I wish I would have been as quick to respond. Wishing you well on your surgery!!
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninnylou
Here's my own personal favorite: "I can't believe you're having a hysterectomy at 37 with no kids...YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE WOMAN IF YOU DON'T AT LEAST TRY TO HAVE A BABY"

ninnylou,
I've been told the same thing (I'm 35). It just makes me shake my head in disbelief. Some people are just so clueless.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register