Post op care for lysis of adhesions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op care for lysis of adhesions? Post op care for lysis of adhesions?

Unread 06-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Post op care for lysis of adhesions?

On Wednesday, 6/4, I had my gall bladder out and lysis of adhesions, all done laparoscopically. This is about 11 months after my TLH/BSO. Both doctors said I have no activity restrictions. I can understand that for the gall bladder, but for the adhesions? Don't I want to take it easy to prevent more adhesions?

They found only one adhesion -- my vaginal cuff to bowels or intestines (my family can't remember which, and I haven't talked to the doctor yet). The gyn didn't think it would fix my pain, but the picture looked like a very thick band was clipped and things should move around better. I haven't felt my missing left ovary since the surgery, which is really good.

I've also got more pain and swelly-belly than I did with the TLH/BSO, or the diagnostic lap from 1.5 yrs prior to the TLH. Is that normal? The belly button incision is very, very sore. I can understand the other gall bladder incisions under my rib cage, since they move everytime I breathe, but the belly button is so tender.

Yes, I'll call my doctor on Monday, and I'll keep on the pain meds, but I'm just wondering if this is all normal.

Skydog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The belly button incision is very, very sore. I can understand the other gall bladder incisions under my rib cage, since they move everytime I breathe, but the belly button is so tender.
What did you find out from your doctor? I had my adhesion surgery on 6/6 and I'm going through much the same thing with the belly button incision. I had a laparoscopy a year ago, but I don't remember the belly button incision hurting this much. I hope you got some answers. I'll see my doctor tomorrow.
Unread 06-12-2008, 01:22 AM

I had a lap in January for lysis of adhesions and excision of endometriosis. I was restricted in that I was to take it easy, no lifting, sex, etc. until released and I was to pay attention to my body. I had a lot more pain this time around and especially around the belly button. This time the belly button incision was down rather than up and I think that caused more pressure on the incision and thus more pain. While I did hurt for a few weeks, it did get better and I feel a lot better now.

Talk to your doctor about how you feel to find out if what you are feeling is okay for you. Then do pay attention to your body and try to moderate your activities to how you feel. in there and best wishes for a super recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2008, 07:54 PM

I did see my doctor today, and he said that the belly button incision looks good. I think the reason it is more sore this time is exactly what you said, it's in a different spot than last time. The first 2 laparoscopies, the incision was on the underside of the belly button and this time he went right through the middle of the belly button.

Weiser, how long was your lifting restriction? My doctor said no lifting and then we got off on another tangent and I forgot to go back and clarify how long the lifting restriction was for. I won't see him again for 6 more weeks, and everything else he gave me a timeframe for resuming, which was before the 6 weeks was up.
Unread 06-12-2008, 09:08 PM

Well, I finally had a post-op appointment with the general surgeon. I told him that my belly button was much more sore this time, and he matter-of-factly said, "That's because we hauled your gallbladder out of it." OK, hadn't thought of that! He also said that the previous two laps had taken his favorite area, so he had to go in through the top of the belly button, which could be a little more sensitive.

He reiterated that I have no restrictions -- unless I don't feel up to doing something. Well, I don't feel up to having more adhesions! He said that it was just one tiny adhesion that shouldn't have made any difference. It was "tiny." Well, that tiny adhesion pulled on my vagina and it hurt sometimes! And that pain is GONE!

The belly button pain is much less now. Much less. It's amazing how much one can heal in a day! Still a bit sore, but only if I directly touch it or laugh really, really hard (like I did tonight at a party for a friend's daughter who just graduated from high school).
Unread 06-13-2008, 01:59 AM

I am glad you are feeling better ((skydog))! Keeping taking care of yourself and hopefully you are completely well soon!

I don't remember exactly how long my lifting instructions were ((CAmich)) as we played it by ear for several weeks. Since I do have a neck/shoulder injury I don't lift much to begin with so as not to flare that up. I am thinking it was around 8 weeks before I was completely released. How I felt physically was taken into consideration -- I was not given a standard time frame this time around.
Unread 07-01-2008, 08:49 PM

Hi,
I just came across your thread looking for answers and your situation sounds similiar to mine. I had a hysterectomy (uterus only for fibroids) in Nov. 07. Two week after I had a tear in my surture line. It healed on its own. But during a four month post-op exam my dr. found what she thought was a proplapsed fallopian tube. She said the end of my tube had worked its way into the cuff either during surgery or when I had the tear. So, I went in today to have the fallopian tube cut loose. But what she found was scar tissue that had adhesived to my bowels. I was out of it when she talked me and husband is not a great listener and remember person so I am not sure what was stuck to what or if the fallopian tube was a problem.

Anyway, my question was that my Dr. told me I had to walk for 15-20 minutes after each meal to keep this scar tissue from reforming. Did you get any advice like this or did your dr suggest something different.
PS: Sorry for spelling errors. I'm still on pain meds.
Unread 07-03-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbliss
Anyway, my question was that my Dr. told me I had to walk for 15-20 minutes after each meal to keep this scar tissue from reforming. Did you get any advice like this or did your dr suggest something different.
I had two surgeons, one for gall bladder and one for adhesions. Both of them gave me/my family the same advice: "No restrictions." OK, maybe that works for a routine gall bladder removal. But I thought adhesions could be caused by doing too much, particularly lifting (and perhaps by being overly sedentary, too). I thought surely there'd be a limitation to avoid future adhesions, since I'm apparently prone to them. Prior to the hyst 10 months ago, my ovaries were adhered to my uterus, and the pain from what was an adhesion started at four months post-hyst. But no...I had no restrictions.
Unread 07-05-2008, 12:55 PM

I was not told to walk. The only restrictions I had were the usual no bath, no swimming, nothing "in there" for the first 3 weeks. After that I was told I could start resuming all of my normal activity with the exception of lifting. That is still in effect.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register