Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Bowel Prep

I was really hoping my doctor wouldn't say those words.."bowel Prep". He didn't...the scheduler did.

I was wondering if anyone here as tried Magnesium Citrate. It is a liquid I have to take. I can mix it with clear liquids. Supposedly "It isn't too bad. There are many worse tasting things". That still doesn't make me feel good about drinking it.
She also said I would not want to leave the house. I will spend most of my time in the bathroom. Yikes! (That portion would be hard to explain to my kids, teens)

So, anyone experience this concoction before? suggestion for might make it taste better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Bowel Prep

it really isnt bad at all and the bottle is small. just take big swigs of it and follow it with something you like..ginger ale, sprite, etc to get the taste out of your mouth. you'll be going to the bathroom quite a bit..it would probably be impossible to leave the house. one good thing is that there isnt cramping..you just get the urge to go. good luck.
Unread 06-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Bowel Prep

I took the lemon-lime mangnesium citrate; that's the only flavor the store carried. (I heard that cherry flavor is better.) The lemon-lime tasted pretty nasty--even mixed with ginger ale--but I was able to get through it by chilling it before-hand AND adding plenty of ice cubes. Then I drank it through a straw and "chased it" with a second glass of plain ginger ale.

It took about 45 minutes for me to start feeling the effects. Then I was in and out of the bathroom for the next 4 hours. It my sound bad, but it wasn't nearly as intense as my colonoscopy prep a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Bowel Prep

I put mine in sprite soda.... what ever you do just make sure its COLD and drink it with a straw, it goes down a little better that way.
Good Luck
Unread 06-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Bowel Prep

I have had to have that magnesium stuff for other tests. I am very senstive to taste and such, I threw it up. I had to force it down after that, (I have no idea how I did it) My dad had to plug my nose.

I would d*****itely drink it with a straw, you will tast less of it.

Don't mean to scare you or anything. I am just really sensitive to taste. I have a hard time with barium too.
Unread 06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Bowel Prep

I was told, I could mix it in some Gatorade or fruit juice and chill it in the fridge so it didn't taste so bad. As long as it is in a clear liquid, my doc said I could mix it with anything. Maybe ask your doc if that's ok for you too.
Unread 06-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Bowel Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remtana926
I have had to have that magnesium stuff for other tests. I am very senstive to taste and such, I threw it up. I had to force it down after that, (I have no idea how I did it) My dad had to plug my nose.

I would d*****itely drink it with a straw, you will tast less of it.

Don't mean to scare you or anything. I am just really sensitive to taste. I have a hard time with barium too.

I had to drink barium before. I was gagging and fighting not to vomit. My stomach was torn up for days after. According to that doc, no one is allergic to barium. WRONG. Both my daughter and MIL are. The plain barium with no flavors added.

Nasty stuff.
Unread 06-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Bowel Prep

I'm doing the 'bowel prep' today for surgery tomorrow - TAH. I had to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate, 3 hours later take 3 little pills (I just finished that part) and I'm supposed to use a suppository 7 hours after the pills. I think I'll be skipping the suppository as I can't imagine that I'll be needing it! Every hour I have to drink 8 oz. of water and I'm allowed jello and consomme soup twice today.
The magnesium citrate was nasty to drink~I just got it down as fast as possible to get it over with. I haven't had any cramping, just numerous trips to the bathroom....I've lost count. I wish I had weighed myself before this started as I'm sure I'm down about 10 pounds!
Unread 06-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Bowel Prep

I have a very sensitive stomach like remtana926, I think it's really gross. But what's even worse imo is the Fleet mix I sometimes have had to use instead.
I've had quite a few colonoscopys and had to take the Fleet mix...makes me sick at both ends! UGH
I also have IBS and anything like that makes feel sick. And doesn't do much for hemmroids(sp?) if you have those either! :|

Anyone else feel icky just walking by that area in the store!? I do...

Anyways, I guess if we have to we have to.. but would be nice if they would come up with a pill/s you could take to do the same job.

Good luck to everyone having to take it. (((hugs)))
Unread 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Bowel Prep

Only thing I had to do is the fleet enema night before. I did not have to drink or do anything else. I was able to eat anything I wanted day before the surgery, but nothing after midnight. So a hour before bed I just had to use the fleet and that was it. I hated it. When I had colonoscopy I had to drink the lemon lime mangnesium citrate, and I mixed it with sprite so it made it easier, but it sure still wasn't easy to get down. I think I chose the fleet enema over the citrate mix.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register