6 wk PO and still hard around incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 wk PO and still hard around incision 6 wk PO and still hard around incision

Unread 06-08-2008, 06:28 PM
6 wk PO and still hard around incision

I am 6 wks po from SAH tom. I still have big belly and hardness around the incision. How long does it usually last? I have to say... I am doing great otherwise just want clothes to fit. Havn't been able to wear anything but sweats and elastic. I assume it goes down... but when did it for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2008, 04:17 AM

eacross

I'm sorry you're still having problems with this.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to say how long it will last as everyone is different. Some ladies find it goes down after a number of weeks, whilst others still experience swelling months later.

As far as the healing process goes, 6 weeks is still very early days and continued rest will certainly help with the swelling. It can take anything from 3 months to a year to recover completely from this major surgery.

Sending all good wishes as you continue to heal!

Unread 06-09-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm almost 7 weeks and still waiting for mine to go down! I know what you mean about clothes fitting. My dr said it eventually will go down and soften up, but who knows how long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2008, 11:38 AM

I usually find that the end of the day is the worst because of normal swelling our body goes through, plus the surgical swelly belly. I just got my Bali panties this weekend (the ones we can order in the hystersister store), and they've helped out a whole lot. Even though I still have swelly belly, the Bali's are helping to hold things in (I felt like my belly was falling out before) and also has reduced my swelly belly a bit. Be sure to order a size larger than you wear normally though, these are made a little smaller plus you aren't the size you were pre-surgery.
Some of my friends said that even after they were able to exersize again, it still took a while for them to get rid of some of the belly. It's one of our worst spots anyway, so I'm not too surprised about that. Just don't overdo it trying to get rid of it, some of it is swelling you just have to deal with for a while.
Unread 06-09-2008, 12:06 PM

I had three c-sections and the same incision was used each time. My last one was 12 years ago. I have a "flap" of skin that never went away right above my incision line. My incision itself is still really hard and my belly button has been numb for the last 12 yrs.
Sorry to sound so negative but remember everyone is different. You may recover completly normal. But just so you know, I didn't and my life has gone on and I got use to it over time.
Unread 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Just had my final check up today and got a good report. I too have something that feels like a boiled egg and some swelling, just on one side. My belly is lopsided! I ask doc and he said there was still some healing going on inside. Bummer...He said it takes quite a few months for all of the stiches to heal on the inside.

You're not alone!
Unread 06-10-2008, 12:55 PM

If something feels lumpish or swollen, that's a little bit different then hard areas around your incision site. I've had a vertical incision for a c-section almost 25 years ago, re-opened to remove an ovarian cyst, and other scars from gall bladder surgery--all of which have a bit of hardness around them. They've softened up over the years, but you also may notice that your skin is not as sensitive around them either. This is typical of most surgical incision sites. Lumps or swelling is very different though and should be checked by a doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register