How did I get on all these mailing lists? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How did I get on all these mailing lists? How did I get on all these mailing lists?

Unread 08-01-2001, 06:54 AM
How did I get on all these mailing lists?

Since I had my hysterectomy what, 10 months ago for cancer, I find I get more and more request from cancer organizations requesting money. I am still struggling to pay off the bills on MY cancer, and these guys are hounding me like crazy. They write, they call, they write some more. What puzzles me is I did not approach any of them, nor did I ask any for information.

My OB/Gyn would never share my name, so I am assuming it was either the hospital or the oncologist. I gave nobody permission to do so, and I THOUGHT my medical care and diagnosis were private, and the doctor/patient thing kept them from being able to share this data without my permission. I see I was being naive in that!
Has anybody else had similar problems?

Maggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2001, 07:11 AM

Hi Maggie,

I doubt if it would be the Oncologist, you're right, physicians do not share patient information.

I, too, get alot of information on cancer organizations, however, I did sign up for newsletters and such from a couple groups. I did however, just receive a request from the hospital to share my information, only for future patients to ulitize, not for fund raising purposes.

Have you donated recently to an organization? That's the only other thing I can think of at the moment that might increase you getting these requests.

I would, if I were you, contact the patient advocate at the hospital and see what their policy is regarding release of information, to anyone.

I wish you luck in this. I know its hard to deal with solicitors, regardless of who it is.

Many {{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 08-01-2001, 10:58 AM

Maybe it has something to do with the insurance. I worked at a hospital and we never gave info out like that!
The next time that you get a call from an organization wanting money for cancer, reply with something to the effect of, "Oh I am so glad that you called me!! I just had blah blah for Cancer myself and I have a balance with the hospital that I can't afford, so if you give me your address I would be happy to forward this bill to you!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2001, 08:52 PM
been there, done that! Ahahah!

It started with the sisters of providence (where I had the surgery) soliticing funds for ovarian cancer research. Like they couldn't figure out I had not paid them yet for the surgery for ovarian cancer???

When I finally demanded that they stop contacting me, that nobody who used strong arm tactics on me for charitable donations was EVER going to be sucessful, then I started getting cancer charity requests from all over the country. I am pretty sure that this was started by the hospital...

Maggie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register