27 and diagnosed with uterine cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

27 and diagnosed with uterine cancer 27 and diagnosed with uterine cancer

Unread 06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
27 and diagnosed with uterine cancer

Hello, I was diagnosed at 24 with pre-uterine cancer, and found out about a month ago that I have grade 2 uterine cancer. I am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy on June 19, at which time they will be able to stage my cancer.

At first, I was devastated at the idea of never being able to have my own children. But now, I have reached a point of worrying only about myself and my health. I am really nervous about the surgery and possible treatment afterwards. I am scared to be a "cancer patient" for basically the rest of my life.

I would love to talk to some other young women who are dealing with cancer as well as grieving at the loss of never being able to have children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2008, 12:19 PM

Poosh:
So sorry you are dealing with this at your young age.. I am not dealing with your same things, but just wanted to send well wishes for your upcoming surgery.. I am sure there will be others coming along soon.
Unread 06-11-2008, 12:58 PM

pooshxwoosh,

I'm so sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis and at such a young age. I really feel for you. I was not upset about not having children after the hyst as I had already gone through menopause so that was not a concern for me.

Your first priority should be for your own health at this time. Check with your doctor and see if there is some way to preserve your ovaries or at least your eggs for the future.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery and to Hystersisters.

Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2008, 02:32 PM

pooshxwoosh:

I was 42 when diagnosed -- ok, so that's nearly twice your age, but I'm single and hadn't had any children, so I can relate to your grief a bit. Like you, I put my sadness about not having my own children aside because I just wanted the cancer GONE! And like you, I still wonder if I'll always have "cancerhead" lurking in the back of my mind. It will probably always be there, but I'm beginning to accept and perhaps even make friends with it. We are all products of our accumulated experience, and having uterine cancer is a part of who I am. It really sucked, but I think it's made me a better person too. I'm more balanced and compassionate, and I definitely have my priorities in better order. The little things that used to make me SO impatient seem less important now.

Part of my own coping was to conquer that sense of panic about the "what ifs." Right after my surgery, I had my first "cancerhead" panic. Thankfully, it was nothing. As grim as it sounds, it helped me to imagine the worst. When I realized that I could even cope with the thought of dying of cancer, then it was easy to just keep moving ahead and to face whatever comes.

I can remember the first time I had to go see my Gyn/Onc. I felt so awkward and exposed just walking into the building called the "Cancer Center." But now I can say the words "cancer" and "oncologist" out loud without flinching. This site and the wonderful women here has definitely been a big part of my own journey.

I have had a few moments of sadness about losing my ability to have children, and about the spectre of "cancer" that is always looming. But most days, I'm just happy to feel great. Life is good and I look forward to all of the possibilities ahead of me. I know I'll have more moments of panic, frustration, anger, whatever. Thankfully, I know that I can come here for sympathetic and experienced advice.

Please continue to update us on your journey and how you're handling all of this.
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:07 PM

Hello there!!

We always like to say that we're so very sorry you're here, but are glad that you found us. You will find lots of support and information from ladies who really know their stuff!

Wow! You are so very young for uterine cancer! I seem to recall a couple of others recently who are in a similar situation to yours, so hopefully they'll be along to speak to the UC in particular.

I was a couple of years older than you are when I had my first melanoma, and I remember how terrifying that was. I'd only been married a couple of years, and there we were dealing with a cancer diagnosis right off the bat. I did finally become somewhat "comfortable" with that cancer diagnosis and all it entailed. You get used to the check-ups, etc., and you learn lots more about the disease. Then, despite being completely anal about all of my health issues, I was diagnosed with cervical adenocarcinoma at 37, and the whole ride started all over again. You will learn to manage the dreaded cancerhead and to appreciate life even more than you did before your diagnosis. Honest!! It just takes some time.

My DH and I had already decided not to have children, but the rad/hyst did bring a grim finality to any prospect. I know there are some ladies here who can speak to the loss of fertility issues much better than I can. You might also do a search to find previous discussions on topic. The only thing I'll ask for you to remember is that we are all magnificent creatures who are much more than the sum of our parts. We can each make valuable contributions in our own special ways and have the unique ability to touch many, many lives.

This is indeed a journey, not a sprint. You will find within yourself strength and courage you didn't even know you had. And, you will emerge from all of this an even stronger, more beautiful woman than you are today. Remember, you are not alone!!

monami
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:11 PM

OOOPSS, I edited to add I put this in the wrong thread - sorry. I got rid of the words, but don't know how to get rid of my post!

I do wish you well though!
Unread 06-12-2008, 12:22 AM

If you look for Vega's posts, especially early in her journey, she too was quite young when diagnosed. It's never easy at any age, but all the more so when fertility is involved.

Big s to you and best wishes for an easy surgery and treatment!
Unread 06-12-2008, 07:03 PM

I was 25 with no children when I had my hysterectomy. In fact it was during treatment for infertility that my cancer was discovered. I always wondered if I should have pushed harder for some kind of treatment that preserved my fertility. But on the other hand--it's 15 years later and I'M ALIVE, and a mommy to my two precious daughters now 4 and 5, through adoption. Here's my intro post:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=336727

The loss of my fertility is something I thought I'd never make peace with, the hugest loss of my life so far. But I don't grieve for it very often now, only once in a great while. My heart breaks for you though... I shudder to remember the pain and grief I felt when I was dx'd. You will heal.

I wish I could hug you, like I wish I could go back and tell my 25 year old self that everything will be okay, your dreams will still come true.
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:04 AM

Hello there!
I just wanted to let you know that even though my situation is different to yours - I am 38 with two beautiful step-daughters - I understand the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with a cancer diagnosis. A routine yearly check up discovered that I was slighty anemic, this led to a chain of events - referral to gyn, ultrasound, biopsies, etc. I was stunned at the diagnosis, as was my doctor and gyn.
I was blessed to discover this site. It is an absolute wealth of information and support. There are sisters here to walk you through all the steps, send you hugs when you need them, and answer your questions.

This may be a journey that you do not want to be on, that you did not choose, but you are not on it alone.

Sending you a big
Blessings,
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
thanks

Thank you all for your support. Surgery is Thursday!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register