OK..what about smoking? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK..what about smoking? OK..what about smoking?

Unread 06-11-2008, 10:50 PM
OK..what about smoking?

I am an EX smoker who....has...started smoking again since I've learned that I have to have a hyster (DH does NOT know - he would kill me). What shoudl I do? When should I go back "on the wagon" so to speak? What are potential problems that you have experienced? I am so weak....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM
OK..what about smoking?

don't wait another minute! stop now! the sooner you do, the more successful you will be! the last thing you need right now is (a) breathing problems; (b) congestion or coughing; (c) anything that can/will compromise your blood vessels ...

you want this to be a relaxing time (i get it, smoking is relaxing, i've been there) ... but hacking up a lung while you're trying to hold your guts together will not be fun!! plus, this is a time to really pamper yourself, pretty nighties, lotion, candles ... dirty ashtrays? NO!!

can we talk about the cost? you can buy a lot of ice cream and wine with your smoking budget! that will relax you too!!

plus, if you're hiding from DH, that means guilt, and guilt means more stress ...

(how am i doing? is it working? have you quit yet?!!! )

good luck
Unread 06-11-2008, 11:17 PM
OK..what about smoking?

Geri,
You are right about the guilt thing. You would not believe the sneeky things I do to hide/dispose of/ conceal the fact that I have taken the pact with the smoking devil. I hear you. I will do everything I can to release the demon. Starting with throwing away the almost full pack of cigs I have. Of course I have to throw them away at the grocery store - can't put them in our trash......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2008, 05:11 AM
OK..what about smoking?

I am also a smoker-- and I won't stop. I might as well be honest. I appreciate all of the people who will lecture me about the cost, health issues, etc... but, it won't help- I am a smoker.

SO the question I have- are there any other smokers out there who have gone through the surgery? And, if so- how long before surgery did you stop smoking? Any side effects? They asked me to stop 48 hours prior and I laughed at them! Anyone?
Unread 06-12-2008, 06:20 AM
OK..what about smoking?

I am not encouraging anyone to keep smoking -- really, I'm not. But I nearly lost my mind and had horrible rashes from the patches when I tried to quit 4 weeks before surgery. After that, I was completely done. I did not smoke the morning before my 7:30 a.m. surgery, but that's it. And I did just fine. No problems at all.
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
OK..what about smoking?

i've heard it's easier to get off heroin than to quit smoking ... the chemical additives now-days are so much stronger than ever ...

i quit a two-pack-a-day habit 21 years ago (jan. 20, 1987, yes i do remember the exact day!) and i don't think the craving ever completely goes away ... i still see myself smoking in my dreams ... but i know if i ever lit up again, i would not quit again, it was really hard ... but after all these years, i can say it was worth it, because i feel so much healthier now than i was back then (and i'm 21 years older!) ...

i also found out along the way that i have adult-ADD, so part of my nicotine addiction was self-medicating ... if this might be you, there are great drugs out there now that will help the ADD symptoms (Straterra is my personal favorite!) and possibly cut down the nicotine cravings ...

remember, after menopause (or after ovary-removal) you are at increased risk for heart disease, and smoking increases that risk also ... my DH suffered a massive heart attack a few months ago (not smoking related) and i wouldn't wish that experience on anyone!

good luck!
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
OK..what about smoking?

I am a smoker. I smoked on the way to the hospital for my surgery.

The downfall was after the surgery. I had problems with my oxygen levels post op, they had dipped down to 70 at one point and freaked the nurses out. And due to the smoking, I was unable to efficiently move the post anesthesia junk out of my lungs and ended up with a nasty bout of bronchitis at 8 days post op.

FWIW I still smoke, I just wish I would have gone on hiatus prior to my surgery.

I do believe I have ADD. My mom always thought so but back when I was a kid the doctors really wouldn't do much. Wonder if meds might help me....
Unread 06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
OK..what about smoking?

I too am a smoker and am scheduled for TAH/BSO on 6/27. The only thing that is keeping my sanity right now is the cig!! I am waiting for someone to reply to tell us how we are going to feel after surgery trying to hack up our lungs! I am trying to cut back each day, but you know how that goes! As soon as I think about surgery, I'm lighting up. Ugh...... Good luck to you!
Unread 06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
OK..what about smoking?

I am not a smoker, but I can imagine that it might be hard on your lungs after surgery. Good luck with everything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register