Nervous about post-op toddler care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about post-op toddler care Nervous about post-op toddler care

Unread 06-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Nervous about post-op toddler care

Hi there. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks, but this is my first post. What a lifesaver this site has been! I feel I learned enough here to ask my doctors the right questions and make an informed decision.

I'm having a TAH (5-mo pregnancy size uterus filled w/ large fibroids, plus a 13 cm fibroid pushing against my bladder and colon). It is scheduled for June 21. I'm a little nervous about the surgery, but I'm mostly nervous about how I'm going to take care of my 14-mo-old son afterward, esp. after DH goes back to work. DS is just starting to walk, and I pick him up a lot (in/out of crib, changing table, highchair; carry him when he won't go where I want him to go, etc.) It's my understanding that I'm not supposed to lift anything (or anyone!) that heavy for several weeks.

DH plans to take a week off from work, and then work PT (possibly from home) the second week. While he's home, I think we can manage with a couple hours of help each day from his family. After that, I think I'll have to hire someone, but we can only afford someone a few hours a day.

How do I take care of my son when I'm alone? Any tips on putting him down and getting him up from naps? Feeding? Changing diapers? I was thinking of putting his pack-n-play mattress on his bedroom floor today and trying to train him to take naps there, but am not sure how to get him there. He doesn't exactly volunteer to take naps! Any suggestions are much appreciated!

--Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2008, 09:46 AM

That is tough. I have a 30 month old and I worry about not picking him up too. Can he climb on the bed and maybe nap with you?? You're smart to start thinking of ways to train him now.
Unread 06-13-2008, 10:00 AM

{{{Juniper}}}

Hello and Welcome!!!

You have found the perfect place to be. This site, and the sister here, are amazing. Full of information, ideas and hugs.

i would think "creative" is gonna be the word of the day for you. Finding alternatives to where to change him, have him nap, eat, etc. Havnig neighborhood teens who want to help out/babysit with you there, alternating times with family members and friends, and your DH's work schedule, all will require some effort beforehand but should help on the back side. It's gerat DH is going to be more than not for the first two weeks.

I would also discuss in great detail the weight restrictions your doctor is going to have for you during each week of your recovery so you know how much further you can push/lift.

Most of all though, please be careful and observe your restrictions. You only have one shot to heal correctly. I know its harder with little ones in the house, but do be patient and allow yourself to heal.

Will keep you and your family lifted in prayer.

Take good care and Blessings,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2008, 10:02 AM

I can totally relate! My DD is 2, but is still very much a "lap baby!" I have help for 3 weeks, and then I hope I'm well enough to get to the floor to change diapers, etc. I've got a basket for all the diaper stuff. My 6 y/o DS will help boost her up on the bed, etc. so I think we'll be okay. Is there a teenager from church or around your neighborhood (or even a trusted 10 year old, since you'll be there too!) that could help for a while? They'd be definitely less expensive, and the pre-teens would be excited at the chance to baby-sit!
Unread 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM

my doc told me i could not push or lift anything 'heavier than the phone book' for SIX MONTHS! there is so much internal healing that will continue to happen long after you feel like you're 'cured' ... PLEASE be careful ... your toddler's weight will be an issue for a while (especially as he gets heavier!), and a tantrum could be tragic if his fists and/or feet start flying! you won't have trouble changing him on the floor (just be careful getting yourself back up), but lifting him into a crib or bed is a big no-no ... good luck to you
Unread 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Update: I tried putting the pack-n-play mattress on the floor today, and DS actually seemed to LIKE napping there! He took two naps there. That's a big relief, so if I'm here alone when DS needs to go to sleep or get up, I don't have to do any lifting. I practiced getting up and down w/o tensing my abs, and figured as long as I have something to hold onto, it's very doable. Of course, I haven't had surgery yet and am not in pain! I like Audra's idea of having a basket for diaper stuff, so I can change him on the floor. Thanks for the advice, ladies!

--Jennifer
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:33 PM

I'm glad he liked it! That will help a lot!!
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:09 PM

Hi,
I can not offer amymore advice than has already been given. I just wanted to welcome you and wish you good luck on your surgery.
Unread 06-13-2008, 09:18 PM

For diapering, you may want to invest in some pull-ups. I have a 21mth old and we've been letting her climb up onto the potty with a stool and taking off her diaper and then putting on a pull-up. That way, I don't have to bend far, just sit on a tall stool like this one: You can make it taller by turning the lid the opposite way and then my dd uses one of the little Elmo stools to get herself on the potty. We added bribes by offering stickers for sitting patiently for mommy so that post-op we can have a method for my madness. Also we went with trying out a toddler bed. She loves trying to sleep in my 3yo's so we got him a twin finally and moved his to her room. Best wises for a speedy recovery!!
Unread 06-13-2008, 10:05 PM

I dont have a little one, as mines 16...but i cant even imagine lifting a child after my TAH. TOO PAINFUL AND TOO MUCH STRAINING THE INCISION!!!!
Im almost 6 weeks out and i still dont vacuum, mop, lift anything other than a plate or cup, or do anything that involves too many tummy muscles at all. If i even tried..ouch! My body quickly reminded me i had major surgery.
Good luck after your surgery. My advice is this....I would not lift a child in and out of a crib. For sure thats a no no. I would find help with anything that involves lifting or leave it to hubby. Just my two cents.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register