Hole in bladder and Foley - for 5 weeks!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hole in bladder and Foley - for 5 weeks!!! Hole in bladder and Foley - for 5 weeks!!!

Unread 06-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Hole in bladder and Foley - for 5 weeks!!!

I had a laproscopic hysterectomy two and a half weeks ago- the first six days I was sick- first from anetheisia- then from the pain killers or anti-nausea meds
I thought I was doing pretty well but started having tons of fluid leak-I couldn't find a thing on the medical sites and really started to panic til I found this site and Tallulabird- what a blessing!!!
I went to my doctor armed with information from here and not feeling so panicy and alone-
Any way I have a hole in my bladder and came home with a catheter and folley bag -for five weeks!!! I was pretty bummed but am adjusting pretty well -today is better
Do any of you have this and did it heal or did you go through surgery- Are there any problems I can have from this ??? Any suggestions to make things more comfortable?
Thanks, MJ18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2008, 06:41 AM

MJ18

I'm so sorry you've experienced this but you'll find you're not alone and I hope some ladies will be along soon to share their Foley catheter experiences.

In the meantime, if you try a Google Search of HysterSisters (towards the top right of this page) you'll find many threads to read through. Here's a link to one to start you off: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ighlight=foley.

Sending all good wishes as you continue to heal!

Unread 06-20-2008, 09:49 AM
hello

I also had a similar experience, although mine was caught before i left the hospital. I came home with a catheter. I had a vag hysterectomy and was suppose to have a tvt because the doctor nicked my bladder in two places. Obviously I did not get the tvt. My surgery was the 10th of this month and I am suppose to have the cath removed on Monday the 23rd. From what I am reading this is something very common with laproscopic surgeries. Do men have these problems??? I was thinking 2 weeks was so long but now that I hear you have had to keep yours for 5 weeks I am not feeling so bad now. I am so sorry to hear you are going through this too.
I have tried to look at it on the light side it could have been the bowel that got cut or puctured that would have been a real disaster...... Hope your day goes good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the help -I'm not great at finding my way around sites and haven't felt like much- The support has been so great - I did just check that site out -it helps to know others have been through it and what to look for and expect. Thanks again Maggie
Unread 07-30-2008, 01:19 PM

same boat here but like previous poster, only two weeks... "ONLY" didn't feel like an "ONLY" until I read your five week story. So sorry for you. Surgery for me was on the 18th, vaginal. Family was told by doc. she'd see them in approx. 1 hour. Into the 3rd hour they were beside themselves with no word. She finally came out and told them the bladder was nicked and the called in urologist was making the repair. My husband broke the news to me once I got back in my room. Didn't hit me hard till that evening that I would be going home hooked up to a pee bag. Arggggggggggg... I wasn't too happy to have to have the cath in the first place after dealing with it's removal with having my tubes tied in 1986 = a bit of pain and now knowing not only would I have to go through that removal again but also would be dragging around this annoying bag once home, well I wasn't too too happy. I met the urologist the morning I was released and he said it was a very very small nick and I would recover just fine. He said he'd see me on Aug. 4th for the removal. Ah, I argued a bit that THAT was LONGER than two weeks but lost that chuckling battle. Ha, ha.. NOT. Once home I self induced myself into a depressive funk for a few days but decided since I was down and out anyway for two weeks that I'd TRY to make the best of it. After straining for a few days with bowel movements I went on prune juice and cut back my pain med intake a bit and slowly that end has gotten back to normal.

Did have a small, very teeny tiny bit of odd looking blood stained phlegmy particles go through my drainage tube hours after straining with unsuccessful bowel movements AND had actual urine pass by the cath into the toilet which set off panic and a call to the emergency line only to be reassured that I was ok and ??? normal. lol... Wish they'd tell you all that could happen with a cath like they did before the hysterectomy with the possible slicing of other organs that led to this in the first place. So I can now see the finish line for removal and as my husband said yesterday, I am a real trooper... Go me. ; )
Only advice I would have is to keep an eye on what drains out and drink more than your usual. I am on a regular diet and adding grape juice, cranberry juice, water, a few ounces of prune juice and Jell-O daily.
Best of luck to you and keep your eye on removal date.. it will be here before you know it.
Unread 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM

My bladder got nicked during my hysterectomy on January 11th. I had a catheter for 18 days. My surgery was abdominal and when my found that she had nicked my bladder, she had a Urologist come and make the repair.

My 2 hour surgery ended up being 7 hours because they had to wait for the Urologist to come. He repaired my bladder and then they closed me up.

I then started an 18 day love affair with Mr. Foley Catheter. They said that I would keep the catheter for 2 weeks while my bladder healed. What they didn't make clear was it was 2 weeks from the day that I was released - not 2 weeks from the day of surgery.

I was told to drink 10 - 12 glasses of anything that I wanted. I stuck with water because when you can see the "results" of what you are drinking, water becomes so appealing. I honestly didn't mind having the catheter because I made the decision to stay in. Had I not had it, I would have been over doing it early on.

When my catheter was removed, I didn't have any problems. But almost 5 months later, I was having a problem with leaking. I used to be the person that could go all day - drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day - and not have to go to the bathroom until I got home from work. Now, I am on the 4 times a day plan. I started doing Kegal exercises and I'm certain that they are helping.

I'm approaching 7 months post-op and still working on it.

I'll be praying for you. Blessings on you ....
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the advice and sharing- I did get off the foley-(not for good behavior!!) but because the urologist said the hole was to big to heal on its own- went three weeks with my giant pads alone-
Last wednesday I underwent a 31/2 hour surgery to repair my bladder and was put on both a foley / catheter plus a suprapubic (that doest sound right) anyway a catheter that comes out of my abdomen- I had some problems with the foley/cath in the hosp and they took it out before I went home-
I am doing good- taking it one day at a time and enjoying whatever parts of the day that I feel good!!! I'm reading and eating so healthy that its unbelieveable!!!! They may take my abdominal cath on Wednesday- I'm trying not to get too excited just in case!!!
tommorrow I get my staples out so that is good too.
Hope all of you are recovering okay
MJ18

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register